AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I want to look at a better camera for videoing some of what I play with in the shed, maybe a hunt situation and other related events. I have been using my ph camera but it only allows for 8 minutes of video and it is narrow vertical part of the screen on youtube so have been wondering what you all use for this purpose. I have been thinking about the GoPro HERO8 and put it up here to get the opinion of those who know more about these things than I do as I dont want to rely on the counter jockey at the camera shops.

I'm not sure about the HERO 8, but a few years ago a group of us bought a GoPro I think it was the 5 model at the time, as a retirement gift for a friend. He had a small airplane and wanted to record his flights. I recall that the camera was mounted on the starboard windtip. It had wireless remote control. The picture quality and versatility of it was great. I'd expect the 8 to be a few more years advanced and that you'd be very happy with it.

I asked the question on a Farm Hunter NZ FB page and a couple of the guys are camera geeks (who knew) and the advise which I have excepted is to go for something different to the go pro so will be ordering one of these tomorrow.
Canon Powershot SX740HS Black
Cannon.png

Garry,

Hickok45 has some very nice HD videos and did a video on what cameras they use.

The GoPro remote is a nice feature if you gun mount or head mount the camera, but the Canon’s 40x hand or tripod supported is awesome for wildlife!
On safari I mostly use my iPhone, but I carry a Lumix (Panasonic) with a 40x and it works pretty well for long shots. I don’t use the video, but it has the capability. I debated between the Canon and the Panasonic, but since I like having a viewfinder, I went with the Panasonic.
Can’t wait to see one of your videos!

It turned out that a friend on a NZ hunting FB page is very clued up with cameras (has just gone professional photographer) and between his advise and others on the same page I am going to get the Cannon Powershot SX740 HS Black. It is on sale her for another 3 days at US$332
The few advantages with the go pro as far as head band attachment etc didn't outweigh the quality of the Cannon. I will get the small flexible tripod and have a high tripod for use in the shed etc.

The SX740HS is your travel companion with 40x Optical Zoom. Record all of life?s most treasured moments with 4K video and time-lapse; four times the resolution of full HD. Get up close with 40x optical zoom, zoom in to those far distances at pin sharp detail with 40x optical zoom and 80x zoom plus; the equivalent to a 24 mm 960 mm focal length. Snap your selfies with ease, the 180° tilt LCD screen enables you to snap your selfies while checking your appearance, whileSelf Portrait mode will ensure the perfect selfie. Share your photos instantly, with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy Technology, keep your camera connected to your smart phone and transfer photos easily with the Camera Connect App.

• 20.3 Megapixels
  • 40 x Optical Zoom
  • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy Technology
  • 4K Video and Time Lapse
  • Continuously shoot at up to 10 frames p er second
  • 4.3-172.0 mm Focal Length (35 mm equivalent:24-960 mm)
  • 180° tilt 3.0" LCD screen
  • CMOS Sensor
  • Transfer photos easily with the Camera Connect App.
  • Built in Flash
  • Manufacturer Warranty: 24 months
Cannon.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross