Victoria Falls advice

ksuhawkeye

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
Looking to add 2 or 3 days at Victoria falls at beginning or end of a PG hunt April/May 2019. Looking for advice on things to do/see, places to stay, or any other advice for that part of the trip. Will have our better halves with us. Thanks!

NOT sure where you will be...but try to see the falls from The Zambian side... especially as at that time the Zambezi is in flood and the Falls are chucking water!!!
Take a rain coat...the Zambian side is 2/3rds of the total Falls width.
Take a chopper ride over and into the Falls gorge....it is AWESOME!!!!

There are lots of activities in and round the falls. The town VF, closes up around 5pm and them there is not much to do. In VF town there are three nice places to stay in walking distance to the Falls, and one very budget place.

Now if you want to add a day to two, then I would suggest that you stay in Kasane, Botswana and take a day trip over to the Falls, That way could add Chobe NP and a jeep and Boat tour of Chobe.

The bigger airport with more flight options is in Livingston, Zambia

Everything you want to know about VF here:

https://www.victoriafalls-guide.net

Looking to add 2 or 3 days at Victoria falls at beginning or end of a PG hunt April/May 2019. Looking for advice on things to do/see, places to stay, or any other advice for that part of the trip. Will have our better halves with us. Thanks!
Going to Vic Falls mid May 2018, traveling with a Buddy and our Daughters after a PG/DG hunt in Limpopo. Will post things we did and any relevant info. I read in Bulawayo 24 that some of tours with animals are under attack by the Green movement. The girls were looking forward to the Lion walk, and I thought a ride on a large pachyderm would be a thrill! I just hope what I read turns out to be just a reporter that needed a story.

Try get across to the Zambian side at Livingstone, there are a bunch of hotels, more activities and the view of the falls is better.
Southern Sun hotels have the Zambezi Sun right at the falls, 5min walk and through the private grounds and you are at the edge of the falls, slightly higher priced, but on the same grounds is the Royal Livingstone, 5* and worth every penny.
There are a bunch of other hotels and all varying from 5* down to backpackers lodges so the options are there.
My wife and i did trips to Livingstone 4+ years running for min 5days per trip and we did not run out of activities and things to do...

Take @Bruce's advice and do the helicopter rides...
Go walk with lions, cheetahs, check out the crocodile farm, elephant back rides, microlights, do a day trip to botswana if you havent had enough of the wildlife yet, they have rhino at the musi-oa-tunya national park (last time i checked), got fishing, do a gorge swing, bungee jump, zip line across the gorge, check out the curios and all that stuff, not sure what the livingstone museum is like anymore and whats in there, good eateries in livingstone town. take a river cruise with the Zambezi Queen or one of the others.
Go to the Royal Livingstone for high tea on afternoon around 16:00... my missus enjoyed the serenity at the Royal.

Zambezi Sun Hotel has the activity centre which is the kick off point for most of the activities offered, buses run from there to the town and the activity locations.

Friends of mine own a travel agency with offices country wide and they can give the full range of activities and options etc, they will put together a custom itinerary and so on for you if you need one.

Thanks guys, sounds like the zambian side is the way to go. For those that have gone before, how many days would you spend there before a 10 day PG hunt? 2 or 3? Also, has anyone done any fishing? If it is flood season, guessing that won't be in the making for us but curious on previous experiences of those that have done it.

Fishing is good. Above the falls(upstream). Bream(tilapia) and tiger fish especially.

Hi There

Sorry to interject on this thread and I don't mean to be rude but some of the advice given so far is totally incorrect and I feel it's not fair you coming to a forum for advice and then getting the wrong advice which will potentially mess around with your trip. For starters Zimbabwe has 2/3 of the waterfall on its side not the other way round as stated, quite an important point. If you visit in April / May the water level is going to be very high and from the Zambian side soley you will see very little as it is a complete white out from the spray, if you see it from the Zim side at least there are some visible viewpoints. Zim town doesn't close up at around 5pm anymore we have several restaurants and bars including and excellent craft brewery which has live music on weekends. Depending on the night and the season it is quite a viby place. Victoria Falls Town in Zim is much better located than Livingstone town which is 10kms aways from the falls, the only 2 hotels located near the Falls in Zambia are mentioned but they have longs since changed names and owners, all the other accommodation is located in Livingstone town a considerable distance away. There are now considerably more hotels within walking distance to the Falls in Zimbabwe which now include budget options like the N1 hotel, and Explorers village and upmarket properties like Ilala and Victoria Falls Hotel. Zimbabwe has better game viewing and there are not more activities in Zambia. Zimbabwe has completed its new international airport which is equally as large as the one in Livingstone and offers as variety of international flights.
The fishing is not good above the Falls for either Bream or Tiger, you have to go upstream to around the Chobe river for the fishing to improve, but having said that you will catch a fish or two and it's lovely out on the river but certainly no trophies.
The lion walk and elephant back safaris are definately under pressure but they currently are operatational through one company, you can book these through Shearwater. Please read about some of the true differences between the town countries here https://www.victoriafalls-guide.net/zambia-or-zimbabwe.html

Hi There

Sorry to interject on this thread and I don't mean to be rude but some of the advice given so far is totally incorrect and I feel it's not fair you coming to a forum for advice and then getting the wrong advice which will potentially mess around with your trip. For starters Zimbabwe has 2/3 of the waterfall on its side not the other way round as stated, quite an important point. If you visit in April / May the water level is going to be very high and from the Zambian side soley you will see very little as it is a complete white out from the spray, if you see it from the Zim side at least there are some visible viewpoints. Zim town doesn't close up at around 5pm anymore we have several restaurants and bars including and excellent craft brewery which has live music on weekends. Depending on the night and the season it is quite a viby place. Victoria Falls Town in Zim is much better located than Livingstone town which is 10kms aways from the falls, the only 2 hotels located near the Falls in Zambia are mentioned but they have longs since changed names and owners, all the other accommodation is located in Livingstone town a considerable distance away. There are now considerably more hotels within walking distance to the Falls in Zimbabwe which now include budget options like the N1 hotel, and Explorers village and upmarket properties like Ilala and Victoria Falls Hotel. Zimbabwe has better game viewing and there are not more activities in Zambia. Zimbabwe has completed its new international airport which is equally as large as the one in Livingstone and offers as variety of international flights.
The fishing is not good above the Falls for either Bream or Tiger, you have to go upstream to around the Chobe river for the fishing to improve, but having said that you will catch a fish or two and it's lovely out on the river but certainly no trophies.
The lion walk and elephant back safaris are definately under pressure but they currently are operatational through one company, you can book these through Shearwater. Please read about some of the true differences between the town countries here https://www.victoriafalls-guide.net/zambia-or-zimbabwe.html

Thanks Dandesha. Link has been very helpful.

I believe that most of my advice was correct in my first post. Three hotels (1) VF Hotel (2) Kingdom Hotel (3) Ilala Hotel and one Budget hotel (1) N1 are walking distance. The rest are about 2km or more away. The link that I and Dandesha both confirm those choices. While I agree that restaurants and bar offer night life the rest of the town closes up. Shearwater runs the bulk of the activities and a nice restaurant/bar a couple of blocks away from said hotels.

I stand corrected on the airport, new airport is now open. VF airport has one airport lounge and Livingstone airport has two lounges available.

Hi There

I agree with Dandesha. I’ve been to the Falls several times, a few times in high water and when it was very low during the drought in 2015. Most of the Falls is on the Zim side and the best direct view. The Zambian view is more of a side on view and you can walk across the bridge with a pass to get both views. VF town is a 5 min walk to the falls and definitely doesn’t close after 5pm. If you like history, a stay, dinner or a drink at Vic Falls Hotel is a must. It’s also the closest hotel to the Falls. The white water rafting trip is a blast and the most fun you’ll have. It’s not strenuous and if you think you may be able to do it, do it. The sunset cruise booze cruise above the Falls is relaxing but a bit over rated. A game drive along the banks of the Chobe River will give you some of the best game viewing in Africa.

I agree with Dandesha. I’ve been to the Falls several times, a few times in high water and when it was very low during the drought in 2015. Most of the Falls is on the Zim side and the best direct view. The Zambian view is more of a side on view and you can walk across the bridge with a pass to get both views. VF town is a 5 min walk to the falls and definitely doesn’t close after 5pm. If you like history, a stay, dinner or a drink at Vic Falls Hotel is a must. It’s also the closest hotel to the Falls. The white water rafting trip is a blast and the most fun you’ll have. It’s not strenuous and if you think you may be able to do it, do it. The sunset cruise booze cruise above the Falls is relaxing but a bit over rated. A game drive along the banks of the Chobe River will give you some of the best game viewing in Africa.
Thanks for the info. Have you done rafting during high water?

Thanks Dandesha. Link has been very helpful.
Boo with Victoria Falls Guide did our booking. Stayed Illala Lodge. Dinner at the Boma, Sunset River Cruise and Helicopter Ride were great. Zipline over the Zambezi was so, so.

This picture of the falls at Victoria Falls was taken on April 30, 2018. The water was high and I was told that most of the activities at the falls (such as white water rafting) had been cancelled because of the high water. The mist was so dense that it was hard to see the waterfall itself.

We wore water resistant outfits that dry quickly because we'd been told we would get wet. We got wet, and wetter than we expected, however, those with rain coats didn't fare any better. It started out as a light mist and got heavier and heavier the farther along you went. It got so heavy that we decided not to do the last 2 view points. They refer to that area as a rainforest - that's probably pretty accurate. It's always raining and never dries up.

I also have a picture from the airplane window showing the mist from Vic Falls being visible for miles away, but don't have access to it at the moment.

Mist at Vic falls.jpg

Was at the falls during high water (March) in 2006. As noted above - initial posts are incorrect. Zimbabwe side has 2/3 of the falls and the best viewing. Although Zambia does have some lodges along the falls, Livingston is 5 or 6 miles away. I stayed in Vic Falls when I was there and would do it again.

Just got back from Vic Falls Zimbabwe, stayed at the Kingdom closest hotel to the falls. Can walk to falls or main part of town in 5 minutes. Did the Lion walk and the Elephant back tour which were nice but the flight over the falls by chopper was great. There are lots of activities for adrenaline junkies as well, bungy jumping, zip-line, bridge swing and the flying fox. Water was at full hieght and there was lots of wildlife right behind the hotel (monkeys, warthogs, buffalo and elephants). The Boma dinner and show was also a interesting experience. US dollars was the best currency but most places also took South African Rand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,