Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Australian Deer Association, Australian Association of Wildlife Artists
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Namibia, South Africa
Hi all,
I'm interested in hearing some first-hand recommendations for family-friendly accommodation in Vic Falls.

I'm hunting with KMG in early July '18, and then the family and I are touring for three weeks. Our two daughters will be 13 & 15.

We've managed to find good accommodation in most places but Vic Falls really has us stumped - it seems to vary from really crappy to really expensive with not much in between - and not many places in Africa seem to do family rooms, so we have to book two rooms in most places!

We are just looking for somewhere clean and tidy with good facilities, but would rather keep it under $350/night if we can.

I'd really appreciate any info, thanks!

Tim

On our Zambia safari, my hunting buddy and I flew to Vic Falls for the day. We wound up eating of lunch at Avani Victoria Falls Resort on the Zambia side. From everything I could tell, and talking to some of guest and staff, it was a very nice place to stay. As we did not stay there, I can not fully give you all the details, but I think prices were in your price range, it was close to the falls, and seemed quire busy, including many US guests with kids. If you are on Zim side, it is very easy to cross the border at the bridge with proper credentials. Hope this helps. I am sure their web site would be helpful.

You have hit the nail on the head, its either super expensive and nice or cheap and . . . . I had the same problem. Your daughters are priced out as adults as was mine.

The Kingdom Hotel does have family rooms but your daughter's age, they will not let you book one. They made me buy 2 rooms and when we arrive at the rooms one was a family room. Went back to front desk, told them I just wanted the family room and was told sorry you paid for two rooms no refund. I wrote a review on Trip Advisor about it, the hotel responded that family room are only bookable for children under 12 years of age sorry for the misunderstanding.

Without a car your choices on the VF side are VF Hotel, Kingdom Hotel, Ilala Lodge and N1. The N1 looked like it left much to be desired and not the safest place to stay, but it maybe fine. It has some good and some bad reviews on Trip Advisor. The other hotels were all some what on the edge of town away from the falls and restaurants. Hope this helps.

You might look here:

http://www.victoriafalls-guide.net/victoria-falls-accommodation.html

Another choice is to take day trips from Kasane (Chobe NP) Botswana. The hotel prices are much cheaper. There are trips daily, and you can also hire drivers.

Last edited:
I dont know much about the Zim side, but if you cross into Zambia you will have a variety of options!
Some of the ones my wife and i visit quite regularly
Zambezi Sun - cheaper than the other 2 we go to, but probably better in many ways. A short walk from the rooms to the falls, literally a 2 min walk. We often stay here because it is reasonably priced, a lot of the activities around the falls start and end here.
Royal Livingstone - 5*, more pricey, but very nice. more quiet and reserved. Same property as the Zambezi Sun so you can walk to the falls as well.
Islands of Siankaba - Probably one of the best places i have been to. It is up river so a little away from the falls, but very nice.

Others that we have looked at but not visited.
Tongabezi Lodge
David Livingstone
Chundukwa River Lodge.

If you are with your kids, my recommendation would be for the Zambezi Sun.
You can organize all the activities from their activity centre there, elephant rides, lion walks, microlight flights, helicopter flights, Mosi-oa-Tunya national park visits and a bunch of others.

Hey Blacks talk with Marius he has a special tour to Vic Falls you can add on to your hunt, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction for all your needs.

Hi Tim, While in Vic Falls please come and visit us at my new pub and grill The Three Monkeys! It's a wonderful place to sit back and relax whilst in the falls before, during or after your safari.

full

full

full

From Our Menu

full

full

We stayed at the Victoria Falls safari lodge. Biggest disadvantage was that it is 4 KM from the falls. Biggest advantage was you could and did see buffalo and elephant from the deck while eating b-fast and lunch. They have a waterhole perhaps 300 yds away. Bushbuck and warthogs on the lawns. The scraps from the meals feed the storks and at night hyenas come by as well. Monkeys on the property so keep your doors shut!
Bruce

If you are open to going over to the Zam side, the Avani Hotel (formerly the Zambezi sun Hotel) is a good option and great location.........5 minute walk to the falls. I didn't stay at the Avani, but we ate dinner at one of the restaurants there and it was good and very reasonably priced. We stayed at the Royal Livingstone, which is very nice, but pricey. It's a little farther walk from the falls.

One other tip (from my Cape Town based travel agent): rates go up July 1. You can get low season hotel rates in late June and save 20-30%. I see your hunt is for early July. If you can adjust your dates a bit and/or do the Falls before your hunt, you might save a few bucks.

Last edited:
By all means talk to Marius. My wife and I hunted first and then went to Vic falls in Zimbabwe. We stayed at the azambezi lodge for like four days. Marius had a gal who set up rooms. Very nice and affordable. I set up various trips including chobe in Botswana and tiger fishing from lodge, dinner cruises etc. Don't skip it. PM me for more but Marius can help. Cheers Jacques

Thanks one and all. Unfortunately the more we look, the more we are confused. They sure have some crazy policies over there as to what constitutes 'family' accommodation :(

We have of course been talking with Kim from KMG who has been very helpful and is getting us some quotes on their side. But it looks as if their reccommended hotels will be way over our budget because of the ridiculous children policy that Wesheltonj points out below. As you may have noticed, this has really disappointed me and if I had not already booked flights I would be reconsidering my trip to Vic Falls.

You have hit the nail on the head, its either super expensive and nice or cheap and . . . . I had the same problem. Your daughters are priced out as adults as was mine.

The Kingdom Hotel does have family rooms but your daughter's age, they will not let you book one. They made me buy 2 rooms and when we arrive at the rooms one was a family room. Went back to front desk, told them I just wanted the family room and was told sorry you paid for two rooms no refund. I wrote a review on Trip Advisor about it, the hotel responded that family room are only bookable for children under 12 years of age sorry for the misunderstanding.

Exactly what I have found unfortunately. My girls will have just turned 13 & 15. More than capable of sleeping in a single bed in a family room, but because they are classed as adults (12+) we are forced to book and pay for a seperate room which takes things up to around $600+/night. At that age they are not ready to be staying in a room on their own in a foreign country in my opinion, just crazy.

Will keep searching but really disappointed. Thanks all for the suggestions though - I really appreciate first-hand info!!

Tim

Last edited:
Has anybody had any experience with Flatdog Lodge? Reasonably new but getting very good reviews online. Common areas look fairly basic but rooms look nice and clean and modern, and their prices are very good. A little further from the falls but we could taxi in for the day.

The issue is, touring Africa with a family of four for a month after Safari, we do not have thousands of dollars per night to spend on accommodation. We have around $2K of activities in the area lined up that we want to do - but if we spend this budget on accommodation then the activities will go out the window and that sort of defeats the purpose of visiting! If the larger hotels would allow us to book and stay in a family room this would not be a problem, but alas...

Cheers
Tim

Hi Tim, While in Vic Falls please come and visit us at my new pub and grill The Three Monkeys! It's a wonderful place to sit back and relax whilst in the falls before, during or after your safari.

full

full

full

From Our Menu

full

full

Martin, incidentally I was just looking at that place on Facebook today! Looks great and I'm sure we will check it out for a meal!

Regards, Tim.

Hi Tim, Busy hunting with very limited signal right now. Contact our office in Vic Falls called Getaway Safaris by emailing my wife Candy at candypieters@gmail.com with what you and your family are looking for.

Hi all,

I'd just like to come back to this post and heartily thank each and every one of you for the posts and messages. You are a truly generous bunch and it is very much appreciated.

Thanks to Martin and Candy Pieters, we've found what we are looking for and I'm now super excited to get to Vic Falls!

Regards
Tim

@blacks good for you. Isn't it nice how folks on here help one another!

Has anybody had any experience with Flatdog Lodge? Reasonably new but getting very good reviews online. Common areas look fairly basic but rooms look nice and clean and modern, and their prices are very good. A little further from the falls but we could taxi in for the day.

The issue is, touring Africa with a family of four for a month after Safari, we do not have thousands of dollars per night to spend on accommodation. We have around $2K of activities in the area lined up that we want to do - but if we spend this budget on accommodation then the activities will go out the window and that sort of defeats the purpose of visiting! If the larger hotels would allow us to book and stay in a family room this would not be a problem, but alas...

Cheers
Tim

What are you planning for 2k?

We are planning

Day safari to Chobe
Helicopter flights over the falls
#1 daughter is desperate to do the gorge swing
Wife is doing a market/village tour

It doesn't take long to clock up 2k there!

Let me suggest if its not too late, that you stay in Kasane for the Chobe tour. For the following reasons. There are two routes thru the park. The first X many to arrive get assigned to the lower route. The animals are moving off the water back into the park. The upper route will not be as good. To get the lower route requires you to be there in line before the park opens. In the afternoon and evening (water safari by boat) is then the elephants cross the river from Chobe into Namibia. That is unbelievable, it will make you think twice about shooting an elephant, it took them off my list.

I also took the helicopter but from the Zambia side. My daughter wanted to Bungee, but I would not let there, they don't have the best safety record. She has Bungeed in New Zealand.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/04/my-bungee-cord-snapped-experience

Shearwater "owns" about activity in town.

http://www.shearwatervictoriafalls.com

Bushtracks "owns" Kasane

https://www.bushtracksafrica.com

Last edited:
Cheers mate. We already have accommodation booked but I get what you say about Chobe.

Yeah bungee jumping certainly isn't on our radar, anywhere in the world!

Cheers Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!