very green to the Africa experience, so...

toby.davis1

Reaction score
All,

I am going to do my first African safari (on my five year plan to make it happen!!), so have a real "greenhorn" (cheechako up here in Alaska!!) question.

The animals I want the first go round in order of priority are Cape Buff, Kudu, and oryx/gemsbok. Is there an area/country where I would have a decent chance at all three, or am I looking at 2-3 countries for the three?

Later in life, I would like a lion and possibly an elephant, but those three are the ones I am hoping to get a chance at the first time around.

Any help would be great!! Thanks!

Well you are in Luck you do have 2 country's that you can go to for the 3 you are looking for.

1. South Africa and you are in luck as we have some resident PH'S that will be albe to fill your bill.

2. Namibia and if you check with Jerome the owner of the web site you will be in luck. I am not sure if we have any other from Namibia on here that wil be able to do all 3.

Toby thats a heck of a start for a first timer but it can be done, the Outfit that I hunt with does all three with rifle, bow, Black Powder and pistol, your choice so have fun.

Welcome.
You may have to move around a bit inside James' suggested countries but those are the ones I'd suggest too.
Buffalo and Gemsbok don't tend to hang out in the same places traditionally.

Good luck.

Johnny vivier is another really good choice for all three and is an awesome guy. Hes one of those people you just need to meet so that you can realize that hes larger than life. Ive spoke with him on many different occasions and the man either has what im looking for or he walks me to someone who will take care of me and can fit the bill. However you will be floored by jerome. Hes one of those people that you form an instant bond to and consider yourself lucky to have been blessed enough to spend time with. My wife and i are desperately wanting to go spend weeks witb him and his family as we consider them close friends and weve only met them twice. Their just unbelievable people.

Toby,
Welcome to AH. I think the entire South Africa will be able to help you with all three species in one area, so it can definitely be done.
Well , I can speak on the Eastern Cape's behalf, and we will definitely be able to help you with all three.

Take Care,

Best Regards.
Marius Goosen

Welcome to AH, Toby, as you see it can be done, now it s for you to choose with whom.

Welcome Toby do your research check references there are many good areas in SA as well as Namibia which will be able to offer and cater to your specific requirements, above all enjoy the planing and the AH forum.

My very best always.

Toby,
I like you am a cheechako (and live in AK), but I will be going on my first in July. I would recommend starting some of your research at the SCI dinner (23 Feb). I got a lot of great info there and also on this site. There are a lot of guys here that will give you great advice. Keep an eye on the deals, offers site and you might be able to go on your trip earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross