Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DCS, PHASA, SA Hunters, Xtreem Archery, Rowland Ward, WRSA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
Hi Guys

Looking from some guidance/advise on my Verney Carron 500NE.

I would like to install a recoil reducer (two of them) to gain some additional accuracy with less recoil. VC put lead inside the stock for the balance. I would need to remove the lead to add the recoil reducer.

I got the below response:
My technician advises you to keep the lead because the difference between lead and recoil reducer won't be significant. Anyway, if you really want to put a recoil reducer inside your stock (there is enough place for 2 reducers inside), you will have to drill a hole in your stock with the same dimensions of your reducer in order to block it.

Has anyone does this to their VC? What are your thoughts?

Hi AdriaanW,

An excellent person to consult would be JJ Perideau at:
www.champlinarms.com
I am only a beginner with double rifles but, I would not have just any Gunsmith work on one.

From what I have read and from my own limited experiences shooting them, sometimes the slightest little thing can throw off the regulation.
Even failing to grip the barrels tightly just ahead of the forend can cause a slight shift in bullet impact down range with some doubles.

I would be concerned that digging around in the butt stock might change the rifle's "harmonics" enough to cause a shift in the regulation.
The .500 NE operates at relatively low chamber pressure and so, hopefully it would not be an issue but, I would be concerned about it.

Therefore, I would rather spend a bit more on a well trained and well experienced Double Rifle Artisan and be reasonably sure the work was done correctly.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Checked out the Champlin Arms site. They have some very good prices on Dakota rifles, particularly in 375 H&H and 416 Rigby.

With regard to the above, I'd not worry about altering regulation but would definitely recommend that the work be carried out by a competent smith (as the rifle is far too valuable to leave to chance).

Hi Adriaan, it sounds like a viable option, although I will only let a reputable gunsmith do the the job. Louw van Deventer of Advance gunsmithing technologies is a brilliant gunsmith and did the work on my 416 Rigby and customed a few other of our rifles! PM me if you want further details!

Regards

James

Thanx chaps...

Adriaan, I have a V.C Round-body action .500 ejector.

A very fine gun, feel safe buying V.C.

I actually removed the lead balancing weight from the stock of m rifle for two purposes.
Firstly,:
it is my personal preference in the balance towards the muzzle (in my back-up rifle that will more than likely be used on moving targets, I like the front of the gun to help with my swing) and secondly:
the finish weight of 11lbs is totally unnecessary and cumbersome when carried more than fired.

I have reduced the over-all weight of my .500 to 10lbs 4 oz and YES it kicks like a mule with a bee up it's ass (i'm shooting 475gn mono's at 2400fps) but it is comfortable to carry and kills like a sack of hammers !

Edit the above the actual finish weight of my V.C with lead removed is
9lbs 10oz

I would not mess with it Adriaan. Verney builds a fine double rifle and I doubt you will gain much , if anything , by making the changes. Do you have it yet ? have you shot it ? Recoil should be very manageable.
In the end , if you realy want to do something , ask Jerome at Verney Carron what he thinks.
My 2 cents worth.

I have left it as is and it shoot beautifully...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg