Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DCS, PHASA, SA Hunters, Xtreem Archery, Rowland Ward, WRSA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
Hi Guys

Looking from some guidance/advise on my Verney Carron 500NE.

I would like to install a recoil reducer (two of them) to gain some additional accuracy with less recoil. VC put lead inside the stock for the balance. I would need to remove the lead to add the recoil reducer.

I got the below response:
My technician advises you to keep the lead because the difference between lead and recoil reducer won't be significant. Anyway, if you really want to put a recoil reducer inside your stock (there is enough place for 2 reducers inside), you will have to drill a hole in your stock with the same dimensions of your reducer in order to block it.

Has anyone does this to their VC? What are your thoughts?

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Hi AdriaanW,

An excellent person to consult would be JJ Perideau at:
www.champlinarms.com
I am only a beginner with double rifles but, I would not have just any Gunsmith work on one.

From what I have read and from my own limited experiences shooting them, sometimes the slightest little thing can throw off the regulation.
Even failing to grip the barrels tightly just ahead of the forend can cause a slight shift in bullet impact down range with some doubles.

I would be concerned that digging around in the butt stock might change the rifle's "harmonics" enough to cause a shift in the regulation.
The .500 NE operates at relatively low chamber pressure and so, hopefully it would not be an issue but, I would be concerned about it.

Therefore, I would rather spend a bit more on a well trained and well experienced Double Rifle Artisan and be reasonably sure the work was done correctly.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Checked out the Champlin Arms site. They have some very good prices on Dakota rifles, particularly in 375 H&H and 416 Rigby.

With regard to the above, I'd not worry about altering regulation but would definitely recommend that the work be carried out by a competent smith (as the rifle is far too valuable to leave to chance).

James Lizamore

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SAHGCA, CHASA, PHASA,
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana
Hi Adriaan, it sounds like a viable option, although I will only let a reputable gunsmith do the the job. Louw van Deventer of Advance gunsmithing technologies is a brilliant gunsmith and did the work on my 416 Rigby and customed a few other of our rifles! PM me if you want further details!

Regards

James

petrusg

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Thanx chaps...

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
Adriaan, I have a V.C Round-body action .500 ejector.

A very fine gun, feel safe buying V.C.

I actually removed the lead balancing weight from the stock of m rifle for two purposes.
Firstly,:
it is my personal preference in the balance towards the muzzle (in my back-up rifle that will more than likely be used on moving targets, I like the front of the gun to help with my swing) and secondly:
the finish weight of 11lbs is totally unnecessary and cumbersome when carried more than fired.

I have reduced the over-all weight of my .500 to 10lbs 4 oz and YES it kicks like a mule with a bee up it's ass (i'm shooting 475gn mono's at 2400fps) but it is comfortable to carry and kills like a sack of hammers !

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
Edit the above the actual finish weight of my V.C with lead removed is
9lbs 10oz

jand

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA Hunters , Lowveld Hunters , BASA
Hunted
South Africa , Zimbabwe , Botswana , Mozambique , Tanzania , Scotland , France , Belgium , USA
I would not mess with it Adriaan. Verney builds a fine double rifle and I doubt you will gain much , if anything , by making the changes. Do you have it yet ? have you shot it ? Recoil should be very manageable.
In the end , if you realy want to do something , ask Jerome at Verney Carron what he thinks.
My 2 cents worth.

petrusg

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
I have left it as is and it shoot beautifully...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MutchRhys

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.