AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US and South Africa
I was happy to get the chance to take this guy last rifle season. It’s tough to find them this size and bigger in the area where I hunt.
You know how it is when you’re looking at pics of antlers...angle is everything.
Then the landowner, who was thrilled as well, sent me game cam pics of this same buck in velvet earlier in the year. Velvet adds a whole new dimension!
What a difference! I thought he looked pretty good already. In velvet he looked like a beast! I triple checked to make sure it was the same deer. It is...but wow.

With all the game cams out there I’m sure there are a whole lot of antlers/same antlers in velvet pictures to see.
I for one would be very interested in seeing ALL of them.

Hint Hint ;)

9221A97B-ABA5-4142-84AE-28C6C6E79657.jpeg
BF9091F9-2B6C-48FF-88B5-8AC33D215526.jpeg
6016402F-64C1-4B6A-A984-484C7DCF3D4F.jpeg
670529EC-FCCC-4633-9B89-A0A928FD1DE1.jpeg
B9825749-6E31-4575-92A4-4D7E1AE08DC5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Great buck. Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics.
Bruce

Bob Nelson 35Whelen

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I was happy to get the chance to take this guy last rifle season. It’s tough to find them this size and bigger in the area where I hunt.
You know how it is when you’re looking at pics of antlers...angle is everything.
Then the landowner, who was thrilled as well, sent me game cam pics of this same buck in velvet earlier in the year. Velvet adds a whole new dimension!
What a difference! I thought he looked pretty good already. In velvet he looked like a beast! I triple checked to make sure it was the same deer. It is...but wow.

With all the game cams out there I’m sure there are a whole lot of antlers/same antlers in velvet pictures to see.
I for one would be very interested in seeing ALL of them.

Hint Hint ;)

View attachment 367119View attachment 367120View attachment 367122View attachment 367123View attachment 367124
@RandyF
Mate when I read the title and knowing you like I do I thought it was going to be another funny about an item of clothing your wife bought you.
I can see you now punceing around the woods in a Robin Hood green velvet outfit.
The mind boggles.
Bob

Randy F

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US and South Africa
@RandyF
Mate when I read the title and knowing you like I do I thought it was going to be another funny about an item of clothing your wife bought you.
I can see you now punceing around the woods in a Robin Hood green velvet outfit.
The mind boggles.
Bob
:A Blink:
:E Lol:
You
Are
Not
Right

Firebird

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
Don’t know what Bob was thinking, I got sidetracked by “hot girls in green velvet.” But the bucks and bulls brought me back!

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
@RandyF
The mind boggles.
Bob
With tights on, I expect?

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hey, it worked for Cary Elwes and Errol Flynn.

In any case, the deer looks great. Now, for some reason, I've always had it in my head that taking them when still in velvet was either unlawful or unsporting, or both. Obviously with yours that's not really relevant 'cause he's probably long out of velvet, but it also seems like only some US states allow for velvet hunts? Am I wrong or confused or...?

Randy F

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US and South Africa
Hey, it worked for Cary Elwes and Errol Flynn.

In any case, the deer looks great. Now, for some reason, I've always had it in my head that taking them when still in velvet was either unlawful or unsporting, or both. Obviously with yours that's not really relevant 'cause he's probably long out of velvet, but it also seems like only some US states allow for velvet hunts? Am I wrong or confused or...?
No it’s not legal where I’m at to hunt them in velvet UNLESS for some reason they happen to still be in velvet when the season opens. It’s rare and is usually only due to injury or disease.

I know of no other state where a season opens early enough for velvet.

In my case, the buck was taken in November. The trailcam pics given to me were from the summertime...June and July.

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
No it’s not legal where I’m at to hunt them in velvet UNLESS for some reason they happen to still be in velvet when the season opens. It’s rare and is usually only due to injury or disease.

I know of no other state where a season opens early enough for velvet.

In my case, the buck was taken in November. The trailcam pics given to me were from the summertime...June and July.
Gotcha. Seems like Kentucky opens early enough, possibly Montana, Tennessee, and North Carolina. But yeah, I always thought it was just some arbitrary rule or something like that, not to do with when the season opened.

Randy F

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US and South Africa
Gotcha. Seems like Kentucky opens early enough, possibly Montana, Tennessee, and North Carolina. But yeah, I always thought it was just some arbitrary rule or something like that, not to do with when the season opened.
Well, the timing of the seasons is related to it. To my knowledge rifle seasons are generally opened after, or towards the end of the breeding season. Velvet is long gone at that point. In fact, it’s rubbed off by the time the bow season opens in my area in mid to late September.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ketostroxl

Latest profile posts

Rick HOlbert wrote on NTH's profile.
NTH, Just found your message. I hunt with Eland Pro Safaris in Namibia. Wide selection of game and great folks. Hell my PH and his family ARE adopted family, LOL! I book people to hunt with them and should you be interested I'd be happy to meet and discuss a trip. Anyway all the best to you and give me a shout sometime. Bye for now.
NTH wrote on Rick HOlbert's profile.
Nice “meeting” you Rick. I made my first trip to S. Africa this year through Kuche Safaris. We had an incredible time. What outfitter do you use? Neal
LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY World Leader In Superior Taxidermy Since 1981

taxidermy-south-africa.jpg
Global Rescue - Worldwide Emergency Evacuation & Field Rescue, Anytime Anywhere

global-rescue.jpg
Special 10% Off On Taxidermy For AfricaHunting Members 2021

taxidermy-in-texas.jpg