Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe, RSA, Namibia, Cameroon, Mozambique, Canada, USA
Hello All,

I am planning on a safari to northern Namibia in the middle part of August and will be up by Etosha National Park. I have been doing some reading but it's hard to find any real clear answers. This has been known to be the edge of a "Malaria Area" but I wonder if this time of year that the mosquitos are dormant. Any information on that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am bringing my family with which is my wife and two children. Both kids are 11 years of age and one of the recommendations on several sources I have read is to get the Rabies vaccine. My question is if this is a real concern in Namibia for the children as I hate to have them go through the vaccination process unnecessarily. I do not plan to get it for myself but most certainly would be aware of any weird bites or scratches one could attain from the environment whereas a child is less likely to report any weird scratches or wounds. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Heading back to Namibia for my fourth trip next month. We are hunting pretty close to Etosha also. Between Outjo and Kamanjab to be more specific.
There is no need to get any special vaccinations for Namibia. Mind you some friends went to a tropical health Centre and emerged several hundred euros lighter and resembling pincushions!
Mosquitoes have never been a problem to me there.

You're hunting the region I did twice. The short answer is no. It's dry and the malaria area is much further north. As for rabies, my doctor suggested it for me 'just in case' since I was around animals a lot doing the hunting, but in general, no.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip.

Nothing needed except tetanus which everyone should be up to date on anyway.

Nothing needed except tetanus which everyone should be up to date on anyway.

Exactly and if really concerned about malaria then get Malarone script and take it.

Rabies is recommended in South America as well, my doctor didn’t see it as necessary. Avoid stray cats and dogs.

If you have a look at the map in this link you will see the areas and boundaries of the effected provinces.

https://www.africahunting.com/hunting/big-game-hunting/namibia-malaria-map.html

Current CDC advise
Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 08.23.58.png

NHS UK Map.
The sad part about these maps is they do not change throughout the year. Water and Temperature change Mosquito populations drastically. This is never taken into account on these maps.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 08.22.58.png

Now the Parks Website: Note the second paragraph.
You will be there in the WINTER. I have literally seen 3 Mosquitos in the winter, even with severe frosts.
Assess your risk and act accordingly.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 08.24.54.png

RABIES: Watch your children. First world kids think every animal is a PET. They are not, obviously.
If an animal is not owned by the Outfitter PH, do not pet the damn thing.

Otherwise, have fun.

Took the whole family, wife and four children, youngest being 3 at the time and we elected to get no vaccines at all. Went to Etosha and hunted 2 hours south of there and no bugs issues at all. Have fun.

Took the whole family, wife and four children, youngest being 3 at the time and we elected to get no vaccines at all. Went to Etosha and hunted 2 hours south of there and no bugs issues at all. Have fun.

What month were you there?

Exactly, Dead of Winter. Very few, if any, Mosquitos in the area.

About rabies, I'll say what I've said before. The vaccination nurse told me that if you get bitten by a rabid animal you still have to go through the whole series of post-bite shots just as if you hadn't had the vaccination, so she didn't recommend it. But maybe that has changed now. I'd ask a doctor about this.

About rabies, I'll say what I've said before. The vaccination nurse told me that if you get bitten by a rabid animal you still have to go through the whole series of post-bite shots just as if you hadn't had the vaccination, so she didn't recommend it. But maybe that has changed now. I'd ask a doctor about this.
This hasn't really changed, at least not based on what I was told recently by a medical professional. The vaccine (which is a series of three shots) does give you more time to get to a place where you can get the post-bite shots though. In addition, you will not need as many post-bite shots.

Note that if you're unaware, things have changed from the days of painful shots in the abdomen. Shots go in the arm, and are less trouble than a flu shot.

Personally, I just went ahead and got it some years ago. No harm, and you never know. Of all of the unpleasant things you can get in Africa, this is the one I really, really, really don't want! (Three really's is my highest number of really's).

If it came to my kids, I'd go ahead and get it done. The issue isn't really bites from rabid animals - as many have said, you need to make sure they understand to stay away from any wild or unknown animals, and anyway, you should generally be aware of those types of bites. The issue in my mind is bats. I've woken up to a bat flying around my room on more than one occasion, with no mosquito net (because it's winter, and there aren't any . . .). I was also whacked on the head at lunch one day by a bat which had absolutely no business being out and about at that time of day, and even less knocking itself out on my head. It hit me hard enough that it scratched the skin, and I was somewhat comforted by the fact that I'd had the vaccine.

Rabies is recommended in South America as well, my doctor didn’t see it as necessary. Avoid stray cats and dogs.
I have gotten the rabies series but..... I operate a ranch, trap and hunt predators, put my fingers into all different orifices of animals live and dead for various reasons (don’t laugh it’s true!), and get myself in situations where large spotted cats nearly scratch and bite me!
Soooo what I am trying to says most of us do not need the rabies vaccine but I guess I do.
Philip

Hmm, lots of interesting information. I guess I should have clarified and pinpointed my location a little better. We will be in the Caprivi and according to the map someone provided above that area is endemic to malaria. Evidently I need to visit with my doctor about prophylaxis for children and ask my outfitter if mosquitoes are an issue that time of year as the area we are hunting has hippos and crocks...in other words, lots of water around.

I would probably get a yellow fever vaccination as well.

Here's my Malaria story. My uncle who was in the Koran War got Malaria. And where was he station when he caught this bug, why of course, the swamp of Washington, D.C. Take the pills.

Yellow fever, is now good for life. Two years ago there was an outbreak in Angola (which borders the Caprivi). And if Brazil is in your future plans, you might as well just get it.

Hello All,

I am planning on a safari to northern Namibia in the middle part of August and will be up by Etosha National Park. I have been doing some reading but it's hard to find any real clear answers. This has been known to be the edge of a "Malaria Area" but I wonder if this time of year that the mosquitos are dormant. Any information on that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am bringing my family with which is my wife and two children. Both kids are 11 years of age and one of the recommendations on several sources I have read is to get the Rabies vaccine. My question is if this is a real concern in Namibia for the children as I hate to have them go through the vaccination process unnecessarily. I do not plan to get it for myself but most certainly would be aware of any weird bites or scratches one could attain from the environment whereas a child is less likely to report any weird scratches or wounds. Thoughts?

Thanks!

In Australia we don’t have rabies. Even though we don’t have typhoid I have that shot.
Hunting in any country has its risks but I would take great care and have all shots especially things like tetanus typhoid diphtheria whooping cough maybe yellow fever where it is noted by that country.
As for malaria it depends where you go and hope that the anopheles mosquito reads the same map.
Suggest good solid travel insurance.
Enjoy your trip.

Hello All,

Thanks!

Another shot I suggest particularly if hunting in winter months is the pneumonia because if you catch some bug from the plane you may end up in hospital in a questionable place.
I might add I have. Big killer!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross