Using Thermal Imaging for Hunting

The Leica thermal intrigues me. It is designed to fit on the end of an existing scope - instantly turns a deer rifle into a thermal equipped pig rifle. Because it is a Leica, the clarity and technology are superb. It is also expensive.
Beware of addons that fit onto the front end of a scope. A lot of people report issues with them maintaining their zero. We use digital NV and thermal a lot for hunting foxes at night. One of my shooting buddies has one and it gives him a royal PITA. I noticed 2 second hand in our local gun shop last week.
More popular are a rear addon such as a Pard, Westhunter, Sytong. They all look like they came out of the same factory. Basically they fit on to the ocular bell. Then there are stand alone day and night vision digital scopes and thermal. A whole new ball game

IMG_1214.jpeg
IMG_0973.jpeg
IMG_0809.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree, I would be wary of a device in front of the scope, the most minor difference in attaching them or coming ever so loose after recoil and your view is no longer at your point of aim.

I’ve tried the infrared that is built on the back lens that avoids this issue, but it is quite clumsy.

If I could (not allowed in Belgium) I would immediately go for a thermal scope entirely. On quick detach mounts.

Agree, I would be wary of a device in front of the scope, the most minor difference in attaching them or coming ever so loose after recoil and your view is no longer at your point of aim.

I’ve tried the infrared that is built on the back lens that avoids this issue, but it is quite clumsy.

If I could (not allowed in Belgium) I would immediately go for a thermal scope entirely. On quick detach mounts.
@VertigoBE , you might be able to see what I did. The scope is as far forward in the mounts as possible.
I have added a rubber stock extension to the stock to give proper eye relief. not Too much chance of “ scope eye” as its only a 22/250.
it is a bit of a comprise as I use it for daylight shooting also.

Thermal for hogs and other culling are excellent tools. But also good for hunting generally, particularly low light but I’ve used mine all day.

Ethically I have no issues in most circumstances stances, otherwise I’m forced to accept that modern rifles and bullet are unfair compared to rocks and spears and everything in between. However I won’t use one to shoot through cover.

If my wife and I were to dip our toes back into the thermal game it would be with a dedicated scope, not a monocular or scope clip-on. It would also be on a more "varmint" caliber like 22-250, 25-06 or 257WBY rather than using one of our 300WM barrels to keep recoil down.

I'm not ready to dive into the ethics of it all just yet. Let's just say I'll not be turning in my rifles for sticks and stones.

If prices continue to come down on reasonable tech, I may well be in the market for a thermal scope....

Im still super happy with my pulsar monocular for its intended purpose(s) (finding downed game, spotting hogs at night, etc)... but I'd love to have an AR mounted thermal optic for actually dropping pigs in TX as well.. Im just not prepared to spend $3K+ on what would essentially be an unnecessary (albeit useful) play toy for bacon busting...

I have multiple nights out with thermals this year already. It has been a great reason to get me out hunting during times when I would not be out hunting. If a new toy gets you in the field more, that is a pretty good reason to get one.

If I lived in a more rural (and gun friendly) area, I’d be more likely to get a thermal for coyote and other varmints. Having the opportunity to do it more frequently would make it worth the price of admission.

A good thermal works really well on pigs. A quality one also accurate enough for ear shots at 100 yards. This is an ATN Thor.

ATN ThOR-HD 384 1.25-5 x 384 Thermal Rifle Scope

A good thermal works really well on pigs. A quality one also accurate enough for ear shots at 100 yards. This is an ATN Thor.

ATN ThOR-HD 384 1.25-5 x 384 Thermal Rifle Scope
The thermal is just one part of the equation. Having an accurate rifle and proficient shooter make these 100 yard ear shots possible.

A good tripod setup is also advantageous. I really enjoy my scope + monocular setup for pig and coyote control.

Image1690396353.640294.jpg

There has never been a better time to get into thermal. It’s certainly an easier point of entry if you’re in the Midwest or Southeast and have access to land.

It’s almost as much fun as stalking Buff!

The question of ethics, with regard to pigs, goes out the door when you see what they can do to a field in my humble opinion!

I used a bog carbon fiber deathgrip in South Africa last week… significantly bigger, bulkier, and heavier to try to maneuver around in the bush than a traditional set of sticks… but… WOW! How incredibly stable!

We’re headed back to the US tomorrow.. I’ll be buying a set when I get home.. while I don’t think they are optimum for most scenarios in the SA bush (although excellent for some situations), I think they will be incredible for North and East TX pigs when combined with the right rifle and optic…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross