Using shooting sticks correctly

adam12

AH senior member
Reaction score
I've read that you should always have your hand under the stock whether shooting offhand (duh), off the bench, or off shooting sticks.

I've watched my share of African hunting videos and seen guys shoot off sticks a thousand ways. And they're only shown for .3 seconds.

What is the absolute CORRESCT way to shoot a rifle when using shooting sticks?

Last edited by a moderator:
From my SAAM training I'd say the absolute correct way is the way that makes YOU most stable. As long as your barrel isn't touching the wood you're fine.

One thing I do, that again I learned at SAAM, is pop one leg down on my bi-pod (offhand side) and use my hand to grab the bi-pod leg and a leg of the sticks. It makes for a rock solid hold. You can also do all other little tricks, like putting your shooting elbow on a tree, or having the PH hold your elbow.

There just is no one "right" way and it all depends on the situation as well. I hope this helps!

There's one thing I almost never see mentioned and that is where along the rifle to place it on the sticks when standing. ALL of our game was taken from sticks in the standing position, by the way.

When in a standing position, place the rifle in the "V" where the rifle naturally balances front to back. For our rifles this was somewhere near or under the magazine of the rifle. Other positions like seated may not permit this and when prone it doesn't matter as your body creates a stable multi-point rest anyway.

We found that doing this improved our groups and repeatability. Try it and see for yourself.

There's one thing I almost never see mentioned and that is where along the rifle to place it on the sticks when standing. ALL of our game was taken from sticks in the standing position, by the way.

When in a standing position, place the rifle in the "V" where the rifle naturally balances front to back. For our rifles this was somewhere near or under the magazine of the rifle. Other positions like seated may not permit this and when prone it doesn't matter as your body creates a stable multi-point rest anyway.

We found that doing this improved our groups and repeatability. Try it and see for yourself.

This is why this is such a personal thing. I could not disagree more with the technique above. I place the fore end in the V about four to five inches back from the end of the fore end and "lean" slightly into the sticks. It is very stable for me and I have taken several animals beyond 225 meters with that hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do what is the most comfortable and gives you the steadiest rest.

One thing I have found that helps me on longer shots. I put my left arm between the stock and my right arm. Grab my right elbow and pull in. Pull my left elbow into my body. I have found this to be the most stable platform for myself while using sticks. As with anything, it is all in the practice.

All the best.

I was thinking about this thread last night as I was lying in bed (yes, I am a sick puppy) and I got to thinking...I would love to try having some sort of elastic bungee type cord that would put some down tension on the butt stock (perhaps attached to the rear sling swivel stud and hooked under one foot) while on the sticks.

The idea of course being that this tension will help tie the rear of the rifle together with the rest of the apparatus (including your body) to help you keep it steady.

You would put the forend of the rifle on the sticks with the muzzle slightly elevated, step on the bungee lying on the ground, pull the butt up to your shoulder against maybe 5 or so pounds of tension. You will need to be pulling the butt somewhat into your shoulder...leaning into the sticks might well accomplish the same effect.

I got to thinking about how much help a tight sling is when position shooting, and got to wondering how one might incorporate some tension with a set of sticks. Maybe someone has already incorporated a tensioner in some other fashion?

Anyone else think this might have some merit for PG? I don't think I'd try this when shooting DG!

This is why this is such a personal thing. …………….. I place the fore end in the V about four to five inches back from the end of the fore end and "lean" slightly into the sticks. It is very stable for me …………..

This is my technique as well. Similar process with posts, trees, etc.
Into a notch, onto the side, lean in…

Sometimes my hand is under the forend, sometimes not.
Sometimes I hold the sling for down pressure, sometimes I use the Bipod frame, etc.

Every set of sticks is different. Home made to factory. You will not be able to set up exactly the same on each set that is place for you.
Adapt.

……………... You will need to be pulling the butt somewhat into your shoulder...leaning into the sticks might well accomplish the same effect.
…….

Get better.

KISS! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg