AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
On October 20, Director of US Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) Dan Ashe announced the decision regulating the import of sport-hunted lion trophies under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) from South Africa. The United States will not allow the import of lion trophies taken from captive lion populations in South Africa. However, wild and wild-managed lions from South Africa will receive import permits.

Safari Club International and the hunting community has been waiting for a decision on which range nations would be approved to import lion hunting trophies to the United States since USFWS listed the African lion under the ESA in December 2015.

As for other lion-range countries, Ashe says USFWS is still reviewing permit applications for those areas. The four African nations, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe, will only receive permits to import sport hunted lion trophies if USFWS receives sufficient evidence of the long term benefits to their wild lion populations.

USFWS along with CITES has recognized the importance hunting plays in conservation. Ashe stated USFWS determined, “that sport hunting of wild and wild-managed lions does contribute to the long-term conservation of the species in South Africa,” and continued to explain that, “lions are not in trouble because of responsible sport hunting.” This conclusion is a blow to the anti-hunting rhetoric put forward by organizations such as the Humane Society of the United States and International Fund for Animal Welfare. The USFWS's conclusion contradicts the assertions made by these anti-hunting organizations. The on the ground facts and the science simply did not support their position.

Not only does hunting enhance the survival of many species but also enhances the communities that support hunting on their land. Communities benefit from trophy hunting through hunting concession payments or other hunter investments, which typically support improved community services like water infrastructure, schools and health clinics; gaining jobs as guides, game guards, wildlife managers and other hunting-related employment; and gaining access to meat.

SCI will continue to work with wildlife authority agencies, in conjunction with professional hunting associations, to provide a clear link between the hunting of lions and the enhancement of the species. Scientific principles, not the emotionalism of anti-hunters, should provide the foundation for the management of wildlife and habitat.

Read Dan Ashe’s announcement on the Huffington Post here.

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

It appears to be at least some good news for the lion hunters to import from S.A. as long they are from the wild and not the so called canned hunts! And he says or (admits) that trophy hunting is good for conservation of the species! That can only be good!

Perception of conservation, I still see the lion hunts behind fences as a positive rather than a negative.

Perception of conservation, I still see the lion hunts behind fences as a positive rather than a negative.
At least this seem to be a move in the right direction. I take that you or I could still hunt the lions behind the fences, we still cannot import them.

The best direction is to get different person running the USFWS and run it from non anti-hunter view. I'm tired of the 10+ years of idiots running that department.

Can someone help me with this?

The United States will not allow the import of lion trophies taken from captive lion populations in South Africa. However, wild and wild-managed lions from South Africa will receive import permits.
)

What would be "non captive" lion populations?

Does APNR qualify?

Isn't there a fence around Great Kruger, so they would be captive? (other than some holes on the Mozambique side)

Are there any lion populations that could qualify under Ashe's criteria?

As for other lion-range countries, Ashe says USFWS is still reviewing permit applications for those areas. The four African nations, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe, will only receive permits to import sport hunted lion trophies if USFWS receives sufficient evidence of the long term benefits to their wild lion populations.
)

Does anyone know what happened to Tanzania?

What strikes me about Dan Ashe's letter, and the decision off the USFWS is the underlying tone of the US government that they know how to best manage the wildlife in other countries. This is basically blackmail where the US government is telling African nations that they have to prove they are allowing hunting for the best interest of the animals or the USFWS will not allow importation.

I find this to be an insult to the sovereignty of the African nations. They are being treated like children rather than responsible nations. How can any of us stand for this?

What strikes me about Dan Ashe's letter, and the decision off the USFWS is the underlying tone of the US government that they know how to best manage the wildlife in other countries. This is basically blackmail where the US government is telling African nations that they have to prove they are allowing hunting for the best interest of the animals or the USFWS will not allow importation.

I find this to be an insult to the sovereignty of the African nations. They are being treated like children rather than responsible nations. How can any of us stand for this?
Because you, we, are a small minority as hunters in general, and African hunters specifically.

Because you, we, are a small minority as hunters in general, and African hunters specifically.
Yes, I know. Rhetorical question. I'm just hoping I wasn't the only person to notice it in the article.

Well there goes any chance for me to hunt a lion and import it home. Fenced hunts for lion were in a price range manageable for me, but true wild lion hunts are pretty much out of my budget.

Well there goes any chance for me to hunt a lion and import it home. Fenced hunts for lion were in a price range manageable for me, but true wild lion hunts are pretty much out of my budget.

I'm in the same boat. And like you can't see hunting a lion and leaving it in Africa, my conscious body won't allow it.

I'm in the same boat. And like you can't see hunting a lion and leaving it in Africa, my conscious body won't allow it.
Yep , I just can't do it. If you remember we all got into some heated debate about the subject of go hunt it anyway.

This is exciting news for me. Ok now if Danny Boy will just approve the Zim permits!
Regards,
Philip

In essence, this announcement changes nothing. As far as I know there are no wild lions to hunt in south Africa, so this announcement is essentially saying that the usa will allow the import of unicorns, but not the import of existing horse populations.

Does this mean we're going to start seeing adverts for problem wild lions that have come across the Botswana border again?

Very sad-USFW has just dealt a serious blow to the RSA lion industry. Many will be out of work soon.

Of note, now will be the time to hunt a Kalahari lion on foot as you only can in RSA. the opportunity won't be around much longer as the market drys up- even without bringing the trophy home, it's worth it and prices should be rock bottom.

Best of luck to you @Philip Glass with your Zim lion! I'm rooting for you.

Last edited:
In essence, this announcement changes nothing. As far as I know there are no wild lions to hunt in south Africa, so this announcement is essentially saying that the usa will allow the import of unicorns, but not the import of existing horse populations.

Does this mean we're going to start seeing adverts for problem wild lions that have come across the Botswana border again?

Very sad-USFW has just dealt a serious blow to the RSA lion industry. Many will be out of work soon.

Of note, now will be the time to hunt a Kalahari lion on foot as you only can in RSA. the opportunity won't be around much longer aso the market drys up- even without bringing the trophy home, it's worth it and prices should be rock bottom.

I hope you are wrong, but as always, time will tell!

Of note, now will be the time to hunt a Kalahari lion on foot as you only can in RSA. the opportunity won't be around much longer as the market drys up- even without bringing the trophy home, it's worth it and prices should be rock bottom.

I have a feeling there will soon be wild lions to hunt in RSA......

are all raised lion hunts considered canned hunts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RXQLela937

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber