abnhog

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC and SCI
Hunted
U.S., Canada, Mexico, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
I was very fortunate to take my leopard in Namibia last month. Was wondering if anyone recently has gone through the process to get their import permit? I have a couple of questions.

I have been through it recently but I am no expert in the process. I had Cindi Rulon with pro cargo USA assist me in the process.

I had Safari Specialty Importers handle mine. Was approved about 9 months after the hunt.

I have been through it recently but I am no expert in the process. I had Cindi Rulon with pro cargo USA assist me in the process.
She also did my Leopard from Zimbabwe. My thought is the additional cost to have Pro Cargo do the application is small compared to the fine print and possible rejection for a small error of doing it myself. Also the time involved. My application approved in about 8 months and the leopard is now stateside one year after the hunt.

Thank you for the info

She also did my Leopard from Zimbabwe. My thought is the additional cost to have Pro Cargo do the application is small compared to the fine print and possible rejection for a small error of doing it myself. Also the time involved. My application approved in about 8 months and the leopard is now stateside one year after the hunt.

I agree. Thank you for the input.

I completed my own. It was issued today. The online process was easy. I had an error on my consignor page (my fault). It took 67 days to issue the first permit. I sent in the corrected info but when it was entered it was spell check auto corrected, so I completed another amendment (each of these activities cost an additional $50. The next two issued permits were lost in transit by the US Postal service!!! So I sent an additional request last week and it was re issued today. I sent a UPS slip to direct ship to the importer. The whole process was very easy. The aggravation was real with the amendments. I would do it again if I ever hunt another leopard but I would utilize the UPS shipping label from the beginning so we could track it. I spoke with Kanati taxidermy and followed their recommendations

I completed my own. It was issued today. The online process was easy. I had an error on my consignor page (my fault). It took 67 days to issue the first permit. I sent in the corrected info but when it was entered it was spell check auto corrected, so I completed another amendment (each of these activities cost an additional $50. The next two issued permits were lost in transit by the US Postal service!!! So I sent an additional request last week and it was re issued today. I sent a UPS slip to direct ship to the importer. The whole process was very easy. The aggravation was real with the amendments. I would do it again if I ever hunt another leopard but I would utilize the UPS shipping label from the beginning so we could track it. I spoke with Kanati taxidermy and followed their recommendations
Thank you for the info. I work for the Federal Govt so not surprised on the extra fees.

In addition, the only interaction I had with Usfws was cordial. Mr Hubbard handles all these permits and he communicated via email with me. He sent me one request for additional info because the original paperwork from Namibia didn’t have skull size. I emailed him the measurements and he took care of the rest. The postal service losing two permits is inexcusable!

I was very fortunate to take my leopard in Namibia last month. Was wondering if anyone recently has gone through the process to get their import permit? I have a couple of questions.
Although it seems difficult the form is really straight forward if you have all the information.

In addition, the only interaction I had with Usfws was cordial. Mr Hubbard handles all these permits and he communicated via email with me. He sent me one request for additional info because the original paperwork from Namibia didn’t have skull size. I emailed him the measurements and he took care of the rest. The postal service losing two permits is inexcusable!
Sir Did you get your leopard in Namibia? The reason I’m asking is - it asks for a permit number? The form has a permit number at the top of the page nad then I have a different permit number - that was on a green tag that I had to take to pictures with - however, that number is different from the permits number on the form. Just wondering which number to use?

Thanks
Dan

Although it seems difficult the form is really straight forward if you have all the information.
Sir - I think I have all the info just a question on what is the right permit number. The permit form issued by MET in Namibia is a different number than the one on the green tag they issued that we had to have in pictures with me and the leopard.

I shot my leopard in Namibia. I am looking up the information on mine to let you know about the info you are asking.

The information the application asks for in the initial application is the NAPP number from Namibia (if my memory is correct, it's a green tag).

Unless you applied prior to hunting you will not have a USFWS leopard permit. And congratulations on the cat!

The e permit system is seemingly intimidating (as Phillip suggested) but the information is straight forward. If you have the information from the ph/outfitter and can upload documents, you can easily complete the process yourself. My suggestion is make sure you send them a UPS or FedEx tag and skip the USPS. Also make sure you have skull measurements on your info sheet--I think someone else on here had the same request from USFWS to send the skull measurements because they had left them off the first time the information was sent over to us.

The permit number at the top of the form is different than the green tag for photo. So just want to make sure I’m using the right number. Yes, I have the skull measurements. Thanks for all your assistance.

0DD4CA66-0211-4ED5-B6C7-6BF59BD07037.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I uploaded that information and all the associated pages with a copy of the green card. You seem to have it all! The other point is the ph is the consignor and the shipping company is not!

Congratulations!!

The green tag is the actual permit number (something like 110 of 250) of total tags issued. The Namibian paperwork is the actual permit You are correct!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.