Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I drew a Shiras Moose hunt in Area 27, it took me 18 years to draw the tag. I'm heading out tomorrow to start the hunt. I'm in a cheap hotel in Evanston, Wyoming. Going out in the morning to start the hunt. I hired a local guide because honestly I don't have time to scout and getting a moose out of the woods is no easy chore. Hopefully everything works out. I'm prepared to do the butchering. I'm doing a European mount unless I fall head over heels with the rack and adventure.

IMG_0022.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck! I have 16 pref points for moose and hope to draw a tag in the next year or two.

Kill a big one!

Good luck!

The guide said the second estrus is starting so if we can find a hot cow it could be a GRAND Hunt.

Good luck! Best meat of North American game IMO. At least all the species I've eaten anyway. I never get tired of moose!

Congrats on drawing the tag (y) Hope you have a great hunt!

Enjoy your hunt! Curious to hear what your outfitter has to say what the wolves have done to the moose population . That is some of the most beautiful country in the whole world. Are you going to be doing some calling.

Enjoy your hunt! Curious to hear what your outfitter has to say what the wolves have done to the moose population . That is some of the most beautiful country in the whole world. Are you going to be doing some calling.

I will find out tomorrow, I know there is going to be a lot of glassing. We are going to look in the river bottoms but if we find a hot cow the whole game plan may change. There are very few tags given out. The outfitter thinks we can get it done in 5 days. There is a big bull out there yet, according to the rumors.

Thanks guys, I could use some luck. Hopefully we can find a nice bull and sneak up nice and close for a shot.

Good luck, in about 15 more years, I hope to get a shot at one of those tags.

@enysse,

I got my Shiras moose in Idaho about 17 years ago. We started our hunt on October 1st and the rut was crazy hot. So hopefully a couple weeks later it will still be going. Moose can be quite comical when they're rutting, hope you catch it.

Thanks guys, I could use some luck. Hopefully we can find a nice bull and sneak up nice and close for a shot.
Whatcha shootin’?

Best of luck!

Best wishes on this one.....hope a big one walks right out in front of you!

Wish you the best of luck !

Whatcha shootin’?

I'm using my 7mm Rem Mag in Winchester Model 70 with 160 Swift-A Frame bullets. I live in Milwaukee and have not found a good gun range to go to yet in 3 yrs of living there so I'm taking the gun that I'm familiar with to hunt moose. Better choices are in the gun safe like my 300 Win Mag , 325 WSM and 338 Win Mag. I could use my 9.3 x 62 mm too.

Interesting morning hunting, we saw a lot of mule deer. I saw a old mule deer buck down by the river that was past his prime. Mule deer season was closed. The old buck ate in the meadow by the river. Most of the mule deer were young bucks, does and fawns. We saw a cow moose and her calf but no bulls this morning. We are going to take a break and hit it again in the afternoon. I asked about calling moose and it can work but it was way too windy this morning to work.

I'm using my 7mm Rem Mag in Winchester Model 70 with 160 Swift-A Frame bullets. I live in Milwaukee and have not found a good gun range to go to yet in 3 yrs of living there so I'm taking the gun that I'm familiar with to hunt moose. Better choices are in the gun safe like my 300 Win Mag , 325 WSM and 338 Win Mag. I could use my 9.3 x 62 mm too.

Interesting morning hunting, we saw a lot of mule deer. I saw a old mule deer buck down by the river that was past his prime. Mule deer season was closed. The old buck ate in the meadow by the river. Most of the mule deer were young bucks, does and fawns. We saw a cow moose and her calf but no bulls this morning. We are going to take a break and hit it again in the afternoon. I asked about calling moose and it can work but it was way too windy this morning to work.

I used my 7mm Rem Mag on mine with 160gr Partitions. The bull went about 10 feet, stopped, wavered a bit and dropped. You'll be fine with that setup.

I wish you good luck. I wish I had been putting in for preference points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg