USA: Upland Bird Hunting In Central Washington

Guy M

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
After the big game seasons close, my attention turns to wandering the hills and the sage-covered flatlands with my hunting dog. Primarily we're after wild chukar, and they inhabit some of the toughest terrain in the area. Steep, tall, rugged slopes and rocky cliffs. It's an awful lot of work to get a few birds!

Now and again I'll break that up with a trip to the flat-land pheasant club, where the birds are planted. This is much easier hunting, and still a lot of fun.

A few photos from this year and recent years:

A good afternoon at the pheasant club:
QejbKmml.jpg

Bia8lGFl.jpg

Clark, my German Wirehaired Pointer, running towards me for once!
zvE24sBl.jpg

Pointing quail!
sCn7Fmvl.jpg

My youngest son has become an accomplished hunter, and a pleasant companion afield:
leyUdjSl.jpg

8WSbU1tl.jpg

Steep country:
hUHBW6Ml.jpg

Chukar success with the Beretta semi-auto:
ZQ7XLFZl.jpg

I enjoy hunting upland birds as much as I enjoy hunting big game, and we often see game like these bighorn rams, while after the birds.
KDR1szPl.jpg

If you haven't tried upland game hunting, consider it. Great way to spend some time after the big game seasons close. Excellent table fare. Inexpensive. Simple. And good conditioning, if hiking in chukar country!

Guy

Attachments

• KDR1szPl.jpg
    KDR1szPl.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 314
  • ZQ7XLFZl.jpg
    ZQ7XLFZl.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 303
  • hUHBW6Ml.jpg
    hUHBW6Ml.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 301
  • 8WSbU1tl.jpg
    8WSbU1tl.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 306
  • leyUdjSl.jpg
    leyUdjSl.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 272
  • sCn7Fmvl.jpg
    sCn7Fmvl.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 280
  • zvE24sBl.jpg
    zvE24sBl.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 282
  • Bia8lGFl.jpg
    Bia8lGFl.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 320
Last edited by a moderator:
Hunting birds and running into sheep! That's hilly country.
Thanks for sharing your bird hunts with us.

Nicely done! Congrats and thanks for sharing! And the bonus of the bighorns...wow

Nice, I've had three german wires over the years. Really enjoyed chasing pheasants with them.

Awesome.
From Washington state Spokane.
Love upland hunting, cool getting into chucker
Even better running into bighorn sheep.

Looks like fun especially when you hit the sheep.

Upland hunting...a fine pastime! My little GSP is 12 now, but is still a hunting machine! If anyone has never hunted behind a pointing dog, your life is incomplete.

Thanks for a great reminder of my adolescent experiences growing up in Yakima in the ‘60’s! The first hard learned lesson on chukar hunting? NEVER try to hunt them going uphill, it’ll kill a guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross