Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe (Matabeleland North - Hwange & Matabeleland South - Marula/Plumtree), Namibia, South Africa (Limpopo, Free State, North West, Eastern Cape, Northern Cape, Gauteng)
I got pretty big into Turkey Hunting several years ago and have hunted a bunch of states over the last 5 years. A Merriam’s has eluded me the last several years. I’ve struck out on Public Land in multiple states, but I finally completed my slam today.

I’ve been pretty busy with work this year not getting to do any turkey hunting. With an upcoming trip to Africa at the end of the month was going to push this off to next year. With a little pressure from someone else, I decided I was going to try and kill a Merriam’s the weekend of or on my Birthday. Flew out late Friday afternoon from Houston and landed late evening in Wyoming. I only had all day today (Saturday) and Sunday morning before my early afternoon flight out of Gillette to get it done. The weather was really working against me, but after a bunch of driving, and slogging around the hills only seeing a bunch of deer, elk and antelope, we finally bumped a Tom, Jake, and Hen feeding across the edge of a meadow back into some heavy tree cover in the rain. If the weather has been nicer I might’ve passed to try and kill on my birthday but figured a bird in hand. Pretty decent size body, with a 9-3/4” beard.

The Merriam’s from today is the first bird pictured, followed by some Osceola’s, Rio’s, and Eastern’s after. Next up is finishing my .410 Slam, a Gould’s and Ocellated. Not sure which I’ll do next, but the Merriam’s with the .410 will probably be in Idaho or New Mexico as I chase
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_8003.jpeg
IMG_0003.jpeg
IMG_6869.jpeg
IMG_0400.jpeg
IMG_8006.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing!

I got pretty big into Turkey Hunting several years ago and have hunted a bunch of states over the last 5 years. A Merriam’s has eluded me the last several years. I’ve struck out on Public Land in multiple states, but I finally completed my slam today.

I’ve been pretty busy with work this year not getting to do any turkey hunting. With an upcoming trip to Africa at the end of the month was going to push this off to next year. With a little pressure from someone else, I decided I was going to try and kill a Merriam’s the weekend of or on my Birthday. Flew out late Friday afternoon from Houston and landed late evening in Wyoming. I only had all day today (Saturday) and Sunday morning before my early afternoon flight out of Gillette to get it done. The weather was really working against me, but after a bunch of driving, and slogging around the hills only seeing a bunch of deer, elk and antelope, we finally bumped a Tom, Jake, and Hen feeding across the edge of a meadow back into some heavy tree cover in the rain. If the weather has been nicer I might’ve passed to try and kill on my birthday but figured a bird in hand. Pretty decent size body, with a 9-3/4” beard.

The Merriam’s from today is the first bird pictured, followed by some Osceola’s, Rio’s, and Eastern’s after. Next up is finishing my .410 Slam, a Gould’s and Ocellated. Not sure which I’ll do next, but the Merriam’s with the .410 will probably be in Idaho or New Mexico as I chase View attachment 533702View attachment 533703View attachment 533704View attachment 533705View attachment 533706View attachment 533707View attachment 533708View attachment 533709
Nice birds. Where did you find the Osceola's in Florida?

Congratulations on your wild turkey slam! Best of luck hunting the Gould’s and the ocellated. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Congratulations!

Congrats on joining us on the Slam club. My next one is the oscellated in Cancún, Mexico.

Congratulations, I also have Osceolas, Rios and Easterns but missing Merriam. Guess I should get on it.

I think the Merriam's is the prettiest of all the subspecies I've hunted. I could've killed one several times but refuse to shoot jakes

Congratulations!!! Make sure you are putting in for Goulds in Arizona. I drew about 5 years ago to finish my royal slam.

Congratulations!!! Make sure you are putting in for Goulds in Arizona. I drew about 5 years ago to finish my royal slam.
Thank you and congratulations to you too. How long did it take you to draw as a non resident? I was considering a Gould’s in Mexico and possibly an Ocellated as well

Thank you and congratulations to you too. How long did it take you to draw as a non resident? I was considering a Gould’s in Mexico and possibly an Ocellated as well

I got lucky and drew with 10 points (5 years). It is all random so doesn't hurt to try.

I still want to get another one so probably will have to head down to Mexico at some point.

I missed this report somehow. Congrats on a slam! They are a lot of fun. I've hunted turkey in about 25 states so far and have 2 slams. Every Osceola I get would be another slam completed for awhile! I think I've eight 3/4 slams waiting for another Osceola.

I also need to do Goulds and Ocellated. Maybe we should pair up sometime for that!

I missed this report somehow. Congrats on a slam! They are a lot of fun. I've hunted turkey in about 25 states so far and have 2 slams. Every Osceola I get would be another slam completed for awhile! I think I've eight 3/4 slams waiting for another Osceola.

I also need to do Goulds and Ocellated. Maybe we should pair up sometime for that!
Thank you! Osceola is what gets most people just because of cost. Heck, they’re half the cost of a decent PG hunt in RSA if you go guided.

We definitely need to discuss a Goulds and Oscellated hunt. Let’s both get through these next hunts and the work on planning that.

AH Group Turkey Hunt in Central America ….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross