USA: Texas Rockin G Ranch

Kelly fixed an amazing breakfast!
IMG_1144.JPG
IMG_1145.JPG

Sausage gravy biscuit casserole and scrambled eggs

Mark, I was surprised not to see your new (to you) Super 30 on the list.

Evening update :
We spent from 11:00 am till 3:30pm playing tag with Geronimo and his herd. These animals are smart. I was in the sticks 4-5 times but never a shot opportunity. Thick brush air they were bunched up. About 3:30 Justin decided best to leave them for awhile and let them settle down and we went looking for the cull Fallow buck. After awhile he was spotted and Baron and Justin got on him. Baron dropped him with a neck shot at about 125 yards. Only problem was he was down in a ravine. After they got him out we took some pics. Justin dropped us off at a blind on the low fence side for whitetail does while he cleaned the fallow. We managed a big ole hog and 1 doe.
Back at lodge cleaned up for steaks tonight.

IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG

Food looks Great! Tomorrow is buf buster day........I feel it. Enjoying your report........have fun.......FWB

Morning guys! We are having coffee and making a plan. Weather change over night. Temps are at 34 this morning with a forecast high of only 45 today. Wind shifted from NW yesterday to NE today. Justin wants to wait till sun is up before heading out. With change in weather he thinks he knows which canyon they will be bedded in and wants to slip in there and maybe catch them just starting to move about.
These bison are smart! They feel the least bit of pressure and they bust out in a cloud of dust.
Whoever booked the trophy bison he is a monster! There is not a lot of body size difference between him and Geronimo!
I will confirm you need to be ready to hike the hills and canyons to get a shot at one of these, it ain’t no cake walk!
We spotted 2 huge Aoudad yesterday and if I can get this Bison down we maybe going after one of them! Weather depending as it’s supposed to get nasty tonight and tomorrow!

I follow closely! Good luck!

Mark, thanks for the continuous updates. I almost feel that I'm there with you guys.

Love the reports!! Looks like a beautiful place to be!! I’ve been following along closely too lol...has got me to thinking. Just out of curiosity how many ice chests on average does it take to pack out a bison? I’m thinking this needs to be on my hunt list also sometime.

Looks like a beautiful place to be!!
It is one fine piece of land! From the porch of the lodge you look across a beautiful valley with a stream running through it. Often you can see hogs, turkeys, and deer working the fields. Occasionally a coyote.
During my visits I enjoyed sitting on the porch of the original lodge having coffee at sunrise, then having a glass of wine at sunset. Very relaxing place!
Bobwhite quail would walk in view near the lodge along with one of the local resident roadrunners.

I can testify to Kelly's great cooking. You will need to walk all day to burn off the calories.

Justin is a top notch guide and a great man. Sounds like you are having a great time! Looking forward to going back soon.

I usually judge a place on the food and the guide. They are both two of the best.

Noon update.
We are back at camp. 4 1/2 hours of playing tag with them this morning. They have done nothing the same as yesterday. Have been within 100 yards several times but no good shot at one of the ones we are after.
Eating a quick bite and going back after them. They need to settle down a bit Justin says.

Evening update:
Bison win still, we played tag and follow me all afternoon with the bison. I was on the sticks so many times I lost count, but there was never a clean shot at one of the two target bulls. We would loose them in the canyons and hunt for aoudad while trying to find the bison again. We bumped several groups of aoudad but no shooters in them.
Back at camp for dinner and we will try again tomorrow. One day left on the hunt, but weather is supposed to get nasty tonight and tomorrow so we will see how it goes.

Nasty weather is good to sneak around in. You would have been disappointed if it had been easy on the first day! Like elk hunting, you hunt until the last hour of the last day! I’ve taken a couple like that and I truly earned them!
Best of luck or is it “break a leg” that will make it happen?

Great report so far, keep it cooming. But of luck with your Bison

I’m here to tell you, Mark Biggerstaff is a trooper! We’ve hunted our tails off so far and he and Baron are absolutely squared away and have the best attitude for the long haul on a tough hunt. Having them at the ranch is like hunting with lifelong friends. Again ALWAYS a pleasure to have fellow AH’ers in camp. These guys are legit. And by the way the rifles they’re both toting around are pieces of art. If you’re looking for a custom rig, don’t hesitate for an instant to visit with either of these gentlemen! Tomorrow boys.... we will get one on the ground.....

Pressure is on Mark:giggle: And that's half the fun................hope to see a dead bison in tomorrow's report.......best of luck.....................FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you