AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
So It’s that time of year again. Hunting season in Texas is soon to be in full swing. Going to use this thread to post recaps of this seasons hunts and adventures.

Dove has been slow for us here in the hill country but last weekend we did make a run up to a small family parcel in Coleman county. We took it easy filled a few feeders and then proceeded to slay some pond bass and shot at a few birds. Again hunting was slow but my son did manage his first dove with an old SxS .410 the same one I killed my first dove with.

Wrapped it up and back to the lake house for a steak dinner that night.

This deer season our focus will be on three main properties covering a range of Texas.
65F21D7E-1A16-4104-A03A-C8AB403387F1.jpeg

chashardy

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Great pic of your son and his first dove! I learned to shoot doves and rabbits with an old sxs 410 myself.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Shooting doves with a 410 is quite the challenge! Your son did great!
I miss Texas dove season! I grew up on it. Use to sit on the back patio where my mom would bring me either fresh squeezed lemonade or iced tea while I would shoot the evening dove flight as they headed from the fields to a lake. Awesome times!
Here‘s hoping you and your son have many more great hunts this year and future years! I’m looking forward to reading them.

crs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
Great outdoor weather this morning in East Texas - 57 degrees!

Time to go shoot meat for winter!!!

Wade J VanGinkel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I gave my grandson his first hunting license yesterday. He's 11 and super excited. Just hoping to get him a doe or 2 and not going until january 2nd. Possibly a cull buck but not likely. Depends if the lease owner offers a cheap price in the moment.
Texas youth even for a non resident is a steal. $7
I think bucks will still be open for 2 days while we're there.
20200920_063158.jpg

AustinL

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Yes sitting on the back porch this morning had me wishing I was sitting in a blind. Should be a really good season. We have an annual father son hunt on youth weekend at a friends ranch. As well as hunting our usual spots in Fisher, Coleman, and Kerr counties

AustinL

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Childress is some great country with some great deer. I used to hunt Foard county and still have access to a small parcel of family land up there it is just so far from home.

Ran all over dickens motley Childress and Floyd counties growing up

AustinL

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Forgot to mention we picked a sack of prickly pears while we were at it last weekend and processed the juice.

Just turned out the first batch of jelly
2F75A66E-0A00-4D5F-8B2F-82F501D33A96.jpeg

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA & RSA
You’re just up the road from @gizmo at the Legendary Rockin G Ranch.

AustinL

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Well what can I say about this weekend. Had a trip planned to meet my dad up at the ranch and finally get some feeders kicked off as well as other necessary chores. Plan was to head up after work Friday spend Saturday getting work done then come back Sunday after breakfast.

Work has had me running non stop for the past couple of months and this week was no different and by the time I got home after 6:00 on Friday I just didn’t have it in me to load up and make the three and a half hour drive that night. Instead I got my stuff ready had a good meal and grabbed an early bedtime.

Alarm rang at 4:00 and I was loaded gassed up and on the road by 5:00. About 7:00 I get a call that my mom was in the rural ER due to pain associated with a kidney stone. My dad was going to take her back home in case she needed further medical attention.

Much to my objection my dad insisted on coming back to help. Of course there was only one left by the time he got back so we grabbed some lunch and finished up the feeders. We had a spot we have been threatening to set a tripod up in for years but never took the time. So we loaded up the tripod and went and stuck it in a mesquite flat on the edge of a wheat field.

I climbed into the stand to check the view and low and behold there is a large hog at the far end of the wheat field so he chase is on. After a quick stalk we get the distance cut to about 75 yards and a quick shot from the .223 and the big sow was down.

6:30 found me back in the truck headed home and my dad headed back to check on mom. Alittle after 10:00 and 18 hours after I woke that morning I was back home ready to crawl back in bed.

Two weeks from now we will be headed up for our annual youth weekend father son hunt at a buddies ranch
E8A856C9-E85C-4117-BF9C-D89DB852A900.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!
laurence burkin wrote on UKHunter's profile.
Hi the dude in the picture. It would be cool to know the area (genetics) of the stag you have in your profile picture. I am from New Zealand and shot a stag here that is almost identical, especially the throw backs. I can send you a photo to prove I'm genuine with my enquiry.