Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo, South Africa; Omay, Zimbabwe; Czech Republic; Mexico; Texas; New Mexico; Colorado
ok all you purist, don’t flame me. The gemsbok and scimitar horn oryx are apparently kissing cousins and can produce a hybrid offspring- in Texas referred to as a Scimbok. These do not occur in the wild as the two animals are thousands of miles apart on their natural environments; however in Texas they often come mingle. I’ve been intrigued by them for 10 yrs and since I have both a gemsbok and scimitar I figured this was the perfect compliment. I ran across a place doing management hunts for broke horn bulls. The price of a trophy scimbok bull has kept me from pursuing in the past. Over the weekend I finally got to check this one off. I was able to find a very colorful cross. Enjoy... or not

9EC0EA3F-7D69-4E2E-921F-D7B8910A15F9.jpeg
E3F8A0CC-0A6B-43E9-BCA2-CCDF507539BC.jpeg

I found the body size to be closer to gemsbok along with gemsbok facial markings and ear shape. The body color has the orangey tinge hide and no brown patch over the tail from the scimitar characteristics. The horns have a slight curve but look more gemsbok shape them scimitar but less mass than gemsbok .

671B75FF-6651-483E-8606-44019F177B6F.jpeg

Nicely done. Where in Texas did the hunt take place?

Congrats bud! Thanks for sharing!

Interesting looking critter! Congrats!

North Hill Country- that's where most of these occur since there are a large amount of ranches in that area that carry these Texas "super exotics" thus resulting in unintended crosses. Most of the purposeful cross breeding I see are with the sheep species as they try to develop large horned specimens through crossing with bighorn, argali and urial.

To me, the best part would be being able to fill the freezer with that delicious red meat... Congrats on the hunt btw

Finished up the mount and fixed the broken horn

1C9524B3-D1F1-41D9-A7DC-375D0BC9460A.jpeg

3906119D-CA12-4A1C-A1F0-6F961636DBDF.jpeg
D63CB7B1-5B97-42D6-9559-08E30C28D29A.jpeg

VERY pretty mount-jibe well done! There is a red color phase of gemsbuck I have seen that is remarkably close to your trophy-a beautiful animal. Thanks for sharing

Yes there is. I mounted a gemsbok from Namibia once that was even more reddish than this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusM4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you