Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa (Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal both twice), Saskatchewan, Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas, Nebraska, Georgia, Florida, Michigan, Mississippi
A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of hunting with Erik at the Rockin G Ranch. This is my second hunt at the Rockin G and you can find my previous hunt report on AH, as well (https://www.africahunting.com/threads/usa-texas-hog-hunt-with-rockin-g-ranch.21662/).

The purpose of this hunt was three-fold. First, I had some business to attend to with a colleague. Secondly, we wanted a place we could escape to for a few days for our business purposes and a chance to just get away, enjoy a few adult beverages and relax. Third, was to kill a hog, if the opportunity presented itself.

The first evening found me sitting in a blind enjoying the setting sun. Numerous mule deer were feeding in the wheat fields and the cattle were milling around. I spotted what appeared to be a porcupine in the distance across the field along the edge of the treeline. While trying to determine if the porcupine was a legal target of opportunity, my research was quickly interrupted by a herd of hogs that ran my porcupine out of the field.

20170124_181759_zpsb3ys1mec.jpg

A few minutes later, we had a single hog down and I was confident I got another as they were running away. The second hog was almost to the trees when he turned slightly quarting while running and I touched off the trigger again. As the hogs picked up their pace, my target hog ran to the right while all the other hogs ran to the left. As he got to the treeline, I saw a large cloud of dust and assumed he had hit the dirt.

20170124_182247_zpsiyvgluws.jpg

Erik and Carlton said they would be back to pick me up from the blind roughly an hour after dark, so I settled back into my chair and awaited their return. While waiting probably 30 mins later, I looked through my binos again and could very faintly make out another hog at the bait standing next to the downed hog. Keep in mind it was well past daylight hours, so the need to use the green light was warranted. It had been quite some time since I'd used a light at night so I took my time and anchored the 3rd pig where he stood, as well.

Not a bad night, two hogs DRT and a suspected third hog in the trees. The following morning we went back and found the 3rd hog exactly where I thought we would. We recreated the cloud of dust I saw and he was about 10 yards beyond that location.

20170125_124442_zps1s4dxwoj.jpg

Once we had finished our business needs, we decided to go look for a particular Corsican ram to add to my trophy collection. I had taken a very nice angora billy and rambo ram on the previous trip, so was looking to add a bit of color to my sheep/goat collection. After a few hours, we finally spotted our suspected target. We made a large loop and stalk to his last known location. Once we arrived, he had given us the slip. We spotted another Corsican and thought maybe it was him. We put a stalk on him and got to within range; however, after a few minutes of looking at him we realized he wasn't the one. We spent as much time as possible looking for him but finally had to give up and head back to the blind for the hogs.

That evening during daylight hours only deer came into the wheat field. Just as last light was fading, I heard two shots come from my buddy's position. About 30 mins later, another shot rang out. A few minutes later, I noticed the deer were scattering that had been feeding in front of me. I was looking through my binos when I thought I saw a black mass move from right to left. I slid the gun out the window and hit the green light. Standing in front of my blind was a single hog. He was acting uneasy and wouldn't stand in one place long. My hand slipped off the light button and I was fumbling around trying to hit the button again. When I finally found it, the boar was standing in the light beam. He spooked just a touch, raised his head and I thought he was going to leave; however, after a couple seconds, he spun around and started feeding again. I decided because of his actions, I couldn't waste any time trying to get the perfect shot behind the ear, so decided a heart/lung shot with the bigger target was needed.

At the report, I lost control of the light button again. By the time I found it, the boar was gone and I couldn't find him. The allotted time passed with that being the only hogs seen; however, my porcupine came back. I slid down the edge of the field and added a porcupine to the bag. On my way back to the lodge, I stopped to look for blood. I didn't find any immediately; however, I found deep hoof tracks in the soil and what appeared to be snout blown out at the location he was standing. Giving up and feeling a rumble in my stomach telling me it was time for supper, I got back in the mule and headed for the lodge. As I was swinging the mule around I noticed a dark mass about 75 yards from the bait. He didn't make it out of the field.

20170125_213646_zpsweulbgxz.jpg

The following morning we decide some hero pictures were needed.

20170126_113918_zpshucvc4is.jpg

While disposing of the carcasses, we were able to add one last victim to the list. A single shot to the lungs provided this long toothed critter.

20160911_202725_zpsgtzjnnow.jpg

In all, the two of us were able to take 7 hogs total. Unfortunately, the big Corsican ram gave us the slip, but that just gives me another reason to visit the Rockin G Ranch again. Thanks again Erik for the hospitality and I look forward to sharing a campfire with you in the future.

Attachments

• 20160911_202725_zpsgtzjnnow.jpg
    20160911_202725_zpsgtzjnnow.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 282
  • 20170126_113918_zpshucvc4is.jpg
    20170126_113918_zpshucvc4is.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 304
  • 20170125_213646_zpsweulbgxz.jpg
    20170125_213646_zpsweulbgxz.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 20170125_124442_zps1s4dxwoj.jpg
    20170125_124442_zps1s4dxwoj.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 311
  • 20170124_182247_zpsiyvgluws.jpg
    20170124_182247_zpsiyvgluws.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 311
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice hags and report. Reminds me of my TX hog hunts. BTW what caliber rifles did you guys use?

Well done!

Great report! Sounds like Gizmo delivered. 7 hogs and a porcupine is a good hunt if you ask me!

I used Erik's 270 Win with factory 130 grain Winchester Power Points because it already had a light set up attached to it. Additionally, I used my 243 Win with hand loaded 80 gr Barnes TTSX.

My buddy used his 270 WSM with factory Nosler Accubonds.

Thinking that "gristle plates" were a problem I used an '0-6 for my first hunt. After the guide told me about the "neck" shot I went to my 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser and never looked back. Those rascals sure are fun to hunt.

Sounds like you had a great time................ps..do you still fit in the bikini???

I used Erik's 270 Win with factory 130 grain Winchester Power Points because it already had a light set up attached to it. Additionally, I used my 243 Win with hand loaded 80 gr Barnes TTSX.

My buddy used his 270 WSM with factory Nosler Accubonds.

Would be fun when those hogs are all bunched up to use a .375 with a solid and see how many you could get with one shot.

Would be fun when those hogs are all bunched up to use a .375 with a solid and see how many you could get with one shot.

When I was a kid my dad killed three with a .308 in one shot.

We always named stands. That one was forever after known as the "three little pigs" stand.

I can honestly say when the bunch came in, I was trying to get two with a single shot. Those bloody things wouldn't stand still long enough to get on a pair lined up before they were pushing each other around again. I finally decided I had better make dang sure I killed the first one and whatever happens to the one behind was a bonus if he dropped. At the shot, the front one dropped with a shot behind the ear, and I missed the one behind it, which would have also been in the neck had the bullet reached its mark.

I can honestly say when the bunch came in, I was trying to get two with a single shot. Those bloody things wouldn't stand still long enough to get on a pair lined up before they were pushing each other around again. I finally decided I had better make dang sure I killed the first one and whatever happens to the one behind was a bonus if he dropped. At the shot, the front one dropped with a shot behind the ear, and I missed the one behind it, which would have also been in the neck had the bullet reached its mark.

How far were the shots?

The shots taken at the bait sight were 87 yards, if I remember correctly. The shot on the running hog was roughly 175 yards, and the hog shot with the 243 was approximately 50 yards.

The shots taken at the bait sight were 87 yards, if I remember correctly. The shot on the running hog was roughly 175 yards, and the hog shot with the 243 was approximately 50 yards.

Oh yeah, I'm thinking for that first shot one of the big boys and a solid. 87 yards from a rest should be easy enough to pull off. Sounds like you had fun which is what it's supposed to be.

Are any of those hogs worth putting on the grill?

Oh yeah, I'm thinking for that first shot one of the big boys and a solid. 87 yards from a rest should be easy enough to pull off. Sounds like you had fun which is what it's supposed to be.

Are any of those hogs worth putting on the grill?

We did not put any of them in the freezer, their size were just a bit too big for what I like. The spot pig was close to being the right size. Had he been a gilt, I would have stuck him in the freezer. Of the 7 hogs killed, only one was a sow killed by my buddy. I'm not sure you would have been able to stay inside the house when the skillet got hot.

Thanks Cody I had a great time also it was great having y'all back.

Looks like fun.
Thanks for the write up.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

I've been told by outfitters that Boars under 250 Lbs. were good eating. But that boars over that weight were not. They said something about "boar taint." I'd like to hear from others that have taken a number of hogs what they think about feral hogs as table fare.

Erik has a kickass place.... first class & he's a pretty damn good dude too!

I killed a boar slightly over #300 and it was excellent, but that's all the experience I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!