Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
After several days of rain, the country around Hondo was green and the roads muddy, so muddy, that we had to walk into the ranch from a county road to hunt. After 3 hours of tramping about in the 90 degree heat with boots heavy with mud, we took a break for lunch. We had seen a lot of exotic game and lots of Nilgai tracks, but no Nilgai.

We resumed hunting mid afternoon and a call from the ranch owner directed us to an area thick with typical south Texas brush, all green from spring rains. Finally, fresh Nilgai tracks,and then two young bulls that would make great eating. My son had the first shot with his .458 Socom and one was down. The second jumped to a two track and dashed back into the brush within a few yards. We waited him out and soon saw him through the brush to my left. We must have been in cover too because when I went down on one knee he stepped into the clear for a broadside shot at 30 yards. He went down at the shot and then staggered a few steps and was down for good. The 300 grain Barnes TSX had passed through the left front leg, heart, lungs, and off into the brush.

2017-06-05%2016.14.30.jpg

We were able to get the F250 4WD in so we could field dress the antelope , take pix, and then get out to the county road to circle back to the lodge, cleaning area, and cooler. With both Nilgai quartered and hanging for the night, we headed for our nearby hotel to clean up before locating the one open eatery at 10 PM; McDonalds!

We saw some great exotics while out hunting and are already planning our next hunt. http://forums.**NOT**PERMITTED**.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Doubles are fast and fun in close quarters!

That's a hunt I would like to do someday in south Texas. I guess there is free ranging Nilgai.

lwaters,
Do a Google search on "public land Nilgai hunting" and you will see several places in Texas. Also search on "Nilgai hunting on exotic game ranches" and see the commercial side of it.

There are many exotic game ranches that stock Nilgai. The big trophy bulls may cost a few thousand $$ each on a high fenced ranch with accommodations, game retrieval, field dressing, quartering services, and possibly delivery to a game processor or taxidermist.

Do careful shopping and see what you can find. Good hunting.

Looks like you and your son had a good time. The heat and mud adds to the adventure:)
The sidewalks there in Hondo get rolled up about 8PM.
I enjoy that part of Texas .

Nilgai are one of those hunts I've always wanted to do but just haven't yet. Buddy of mine has a ranch not far from there in Uvalde, love that area.

"The heat and mud adds to the adventure:) " said Azdave.
More than you know - I was so tuckered out by mid day that my son thought I was having heat stroke. After that, He and our PH tried to keep me from exerting myself (probably so they could keep hunting :sneaky: ). I have hunted this ranch several times and it was always dry and dusty, but this was a different and good experience.

Looks like you and your son had a good time. The heat and mud adds to the adventure:)
The sidewalks there in Hondo get rolled up about 8PM.
I enjoy that part of Texas .

Nilgai are one of those hunts I've always wanted to do but just haven't yet. Buddy of mine has a ranch not far from there in Uvalde, love that area.

Couldn't agree more! I've hunted a few times near Brackettville and once in Crystal City.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you