Finprof

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Falls Township Rifle and Pistol, Citizens Rifle and Revolver, NRA Life,
Last year I got a 9 point Buck weighing 185 pounds (field dressed) in Idaho on a property leased by my buddy Ray Kagel. He suggested that I put in for a moose tag since there were moose on the same property.

Idaho has a lottery for moose tags but only allows one nonresident tag in each hunt unit. Looking at the odds I guessed that it would be 7-10 years before I drew a moose tag.

I was very surprised to get a moose tag on my first application. I set up a trip to Idaho from Oct 8 to Oct 15 hoping that 5 days if hunting would be enough since it took longer for my buddy to get his moose several years earlier.

I got into Idaho Falls at 9 PM in Saturday. Sunday morning I went to church with my buddy and his wife and then got ready for an afternoon hunt.

We arrived at the property about 4 PM and walked about 1/2 mile through thick willows and got to one of his stands at the far end of a 130 yard long clearing.
The stand was only about 15 feet high but the distant spacing of the tree steps was a challenge. The stand itself was very comfortable because the tree leaned back a bit.

To my dismay the wind was coming from behind and to the right of me and was going right across the clearing.

About 6:15 my buddy and I were texting back and forth. He had changed stands at 6 PM and got into a stand at the far end of the field and was downwind of the clearing. I texted him that I heard branches breaking behind me.
Image1666483180.256069.jpg

About 6:30 the bull moose came out directly below and slightly to the left of my stand. I did some mental geometry and aimed high behind the right shoulder. He stumbled and took a few steps to the right. By the time I worked the action he was standing 20 yards to my right in a perfect broadside shot. I put another slug behind the right shoulder about 6 inches below the first. We found the slug below the skin in the offside shoulder.
IMG_0214.JPG

Image1666483270.276821.jpg

My buddy and I (mostly my buddy) gutted out the moose and propped open the belly with three sticks just before dark. He called his wife to bring some tmowels and tarps to cover the moose. He walked back to her truck to lead her in while I stayed with the moose to fend off coyotes. It didn’t take long before there was a pack of coyotes in a semicircle around me howling 20 yards away.

The next morning the moose had not been touched by coyotes because it was covered with human scent items. My buddy enlisted two friends, one with two horses, to help bone out and pack out the meat. We loaded three horses with meat and took out the head and cape on a sled.
Two of us hauled the head and cape but I had to go back to the gut pile to retrieve a set of branch loppers to widen the trail through the willows. That was a long half mile.

The owner of Downwind Archery let us leave the head and meat in his cooker. We took the head the next day to get it checked in at Fish and Game and to take to the taxidermist in Salmon. The biologist said that it was the biggest moose checked in that year and guessed it was 5 1/2 years old.

Although I shot the moose it was a team effort that included my buddy and his wife and the two friends and horses that helped us pack out the meat.

That is a hell of a Shiras bull, well done and congrats on both the bull and drawing the tag! I'm still waiting my turn...

Moose hunting is a lot of fun, unless you get one. Then it’s a lot of work. Congratulations on a great looking moose!

Congratulations!

That is a very nice Shiras bull.

Guess I'll keep wasting time and money trying to get a tag in Wyoming.

Nice congratulations.

Moose hunting is a lot of fun, unless you get one. Then it’s a lot of work. Congratulations on a great looking moose!

Thanks. It took nearly a day to get the meat and head out. I was skeptical whether horses could get through the thick willows since it was difficult for a person to walk through. The head and cape weighed about 200 pounds. It took me and another geezer all we could do to drag it out on a sled.

Congratulations! That's a really nice Shiras!

Think I might have been doing some ballistic testing on those coyotes at that range!

Very nice Shiras bull. Congrats! Moose are such big animals until you get them on the ground. Then they are huge! o_O
Looks like he was right handed.

Congratulations on a great moose. One of the hardest tags to draw.

Very nice moose, congrats!

Congratulations! That's a really nice Shiras!

Think I might have been doing some ballistic testing on those coyotes at that range!

The coyotes stayed just inside the brush line so I never got a clear shot. I would like to go back with an electronic caller and a 22-250.

Great bull, congrats !

Congrats. Nice moose. One you’ll remember a long time. Big animals!
Bruce

That is a stud shiras bull! Congratulations on your success-I hope you have many more great hunts

Fantastic bull!!! You have a great friend there!!! Congratulations!! I hope to draw a moose tag someday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you