USA: Sage Grouse Limit

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports USA & Canada' started by Firebird, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Firebird

Firebird AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Not really hard to limit since you only get two tags and you draw them through a lottery. Been a few years since I drew but was able to go back to the same area and find them rather easily. I shot poorly and when I got home I realized I had a skeet choke and an improved cylinder. Gotta replace them with some much tighter. . .

C17D6F44-635F-4358-AAEA-24BC12A21A87.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2019
    Trogon, Tra3, Bullthrower338 and 4 others like this.

2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Congratulations.
    I have only managed to hunt those birds once and enjoyed those three days immensely.

3. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Envy!

Years ago before their population crashed in Colorado, I would hunt them every weekend in the fall season. My wife would drop me off at the bottom of a wash/valley, I’d walk to the top crossing to the next, then down the next. If I found water I would start making a wider and wider circle around it. Sooner or later, I would find a covey. As many as 50 birds would erupt! The Remington 870 12 ga would take over and 3 birds would fall. Hunt over for the day.
    Exhausted we would build a fire of sage brush and roast the breasts on a skewer. Or I would put them in the cooler to take home.
    Next day, not walking as fast, I’d repeat the process until I’d find the next covey.
    I’d usually end up with my 6 bird limit each weekend. I’ll half to admit that even though nights were cold and we slept on a grassy spot, I had no trouble sleeping. Pretty exhausted.
    Sorry the sage grouse population has crashed. They were an enjoyable bird to hunt. They did pretty much taste like sage.:ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    sierraone likes this.

4. K-man

K-man AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
    Congrats! Especially with those chokes! I did something similar a few years ago with the lesser prairie chicken, had a pair mounted sine I wasn't sure it could be repeated. Hope you are able to keep hunting them.

5. Chukar

Chukar SILVER SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, Namibia
    Congratulations on a successful hunt!.. Something I should look for down in the SE of my state.

6. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Easy to find Sage Hens you say?! Last time I hunted these birds in the rolling lava fields near American Falls, Idaho you were lucky to flush a meadow lark. Congrats!

7. Firebird

Firebird AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Mr Chukar-I’ve hunted them in the sw and middle part of Wyoming and had some great days there. One of that states unsung treasures for sure. Hope you find some of them and some prairie dogs for your varmint rifle as well-