Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
I've been meaning to post this report for a little while but life got in the way as it tends to do. The wife and I returned to Rockin G this past October for our 1st anniversary hunt after hunting the previous year on our "honeymoon". Once again the lodge, food, and people were all fantastic. We've really come to enjoy hanging out with Justin, Kelly and Billy (even though he had to miss this year). It's a relaxed camp - lots of cutting up and having a whiskey drink or two at night, with coffee on the porch in the mornings.

This year we came back for a Dybowski Sika deer for me, and the wife was open to a few species (axis, fallow, whatever else we happened to run across). We were able to connect first on my sika. Hunting a Dybowski had been a dream of mine for a while. I just find them to be incredibly interesting and beautiful animals. We got to see them on our first hunt, and I spent a lot of time watching them through the binos. Justin and I talked about hunting them on this trip and we were able to make it happen. We managed to glass up a couple stags on the 2nd day (first morning) and made a slow stalk towards them. They had worked their way to one of the feeders, along a bunch of pigs. Justin got us to about 80 yards I believe and I was able to make a good quartering away shot. They are gorgeous animals up close. My stag had good mass and was pretty wide

IMG-6319.jpg

IMG-6331.jpg

IMG-6345.jpg

We spent our remaining time glassing up anything and everything we could. We were seeing some good aoudad and the wife was up for the challenge. She was a trooper and we did a lot of long hikes around and down/back up several canyons. We had a few close encounters with some inquisitive bison and water buffalo (which had the wife showing Justin and I a very interesting interpretive dance laced with some profanity). All in all some good hunting. We were on one of our walkabouts glassing from canyon to canyon and had a group of sheep start popping over the ridge across from us. We got set up and were glassing when finally a group of rams came over the top. The wife made a great shot and the ram didn't make it 20 yards. Unfortunately for Justin and myself, those 20 yards were down into the canyon :LOL: . We gave her a little bit of a hard time and told her to wait until he was going uphill next time!

IMG-6400.jpg

Have no idea how long the horns are, but the body on these things are stout - like a solid v-shape of muscle. The wife was really happy with her ram, and enjoyed the style of hunt as well.

Thanks to @gizmo and the Rockin G crew for another great experience.

Thank ya'll so much! We love having ya'll. We are about to mount the Red Deer from last season! Stay tuned and I'll post pics as soon as we get him finished!

Gizmo has a very nice comfortable setup! The panoramic view just sitting on the porch is excellent! Usually you can spot free ranging deer, hogs, and turkeys with an occasional roadrunner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross