USA: Pronghorn In NW Colorado

I didn’t realize how big those pronghorn antelopes were.i would like to hunt one one of these days.
Dr Ray, the best, as in the largest number by far, place to hunt is Wyoming. If your looking for the biggest horns, these days it seems to be New Mexico. Colorado has a pretty long preference point waiting list.
So get your name in the bucket and if I’m not too old by the time you draw, I’ll be glad to take you out in Wyoming or Colorado!
Practice shooting from prone and sitting out to maybe 450 yards. But also could be 50 yards on a stupid blind one(y)!

Dr Ray, the best, as in the largest number by far, place to hunt is Wyoming. If your looking for the biggest horns, these days it seems to be New Mexico. Colorado has a pretty long preference point waiting list.
So get your name in the bucket and if I’m not too old by the time you draw, I’ll be glad to take you out in Wyoming or Colorado!

Thank you. Duchess is better Wyoming or Colorado. As a foreigner (Australian) am I allowed to go in the draw??

I would think you would apply the same as US out of state hunters.

Ridgewalker. How many points are needed in Wyoming for a decent area?

Youll
Ridgewalker. How many points are needed in Wyoming for a decent area?
need to check their website. They usually have a page that shows the number of points in each GMU (Game Management Unit).
It really depends on what you’re looking for, ie trophy vs meat. I tend to be a meat hunter more than trophy. Years ago I would just go to the closest town to my favorite area and buy a doe tag over the counter for $25, go out, shoot one, skin and hang it from my cabover camper, then go fishing.
Now if you want a doe, no matter where, you have to apply every year and there are no preferencepoints like there are for bucks. I haven’t drawn the last 3 years. First time in over thirty years I didn’t get a doe tag, that is three years ago.
So,
1) you only get preference points for buck antelope.
2) the weather, ie winter snows, have more to do with the allotment of tags in a specific area.
3) don’t get discouraged because you might find a leftover tag
4) be cautious of GMUs with a lot of private land that won’t allow access.

All of the western half of the state had lots more snow this past winter and killed a lot of the herds. The eastern half (more private ranch lands) had little snow and got over populated. If you can make a friend of a rancher in the east half of the state, you should be at a big advantage in the future.
Best of luck to anyone hunting Wyoming!

Just about all the units in Wyoming will hold good buck.

The units that require more points to draw usually are the better units and most preferred. Usually 5+ points in Wyoming will get you a good unit with good bucks in it along with good access. If you look at the statistics page for Wyoming antelope you will find units that are quite easy to draw but a lot of these units are mostly private land with access problems.

You would not be required to hire a outfitter but with zero or very little time to scout it would be in your benefit to hire one and a few years out isn't bad to do a lot of research on one. There may even be outfitters with landowner type tags if you don't want to wait the few years that it would take to draw a tag.

Just about all the units in Wyoming will hold good buck.

The units that require more points to draw usually are the better units and most preferred. Usually 5+ points in Wyoming will get you a good unit with good bucks in it along with good access. If you look at the statistics page for Wyoming antelope you will find units that are quite easy to draw but a lot of these units are mostly private land with access problems.

You would not be required to hire a outfitter but with zero or very little time to scout it would be in your benefit to hire one and a few years out isn't bad to do a lot of research on one. There may even be outfitters with landowner type tags if you don't want to wait the few years that it would take to draw a tag.

Good info JimP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg