Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I would love to say that I took this deer off of my place, but he came off a friends ranch between here and San Antonio. It is large enough, that every three-year-old doesn't get picked off, and I have taken a couple of nice bucks there over the years. We are having a warm, dry (darn near arid) fall, and I sat up over a little spring creek that always has a bit of water.

I was using my Bailey Bradshaw single shot in 7x65R. This was its maiden hunt, and it had proved in spades that it shot well on my home range. It is also just about the most elegant rifle I have ever taken hunting.

bradshaw3.jpg

Bradshaw2.jpg

The first evening I went out fairly late because of the warm temperatures. Several typical, spindly hill country deer drifted through, but nothing interesting. Then just before full dark a form separated from the surrounding brush for just a moment. There was no way to judge him in the bad light, but the cream-colored antlers looked tall. I decided it was worth another try in the morning.

A good half-hour before the first light found me back next to my oak and rock overlooking the spring. With the first hint of dawn, animals began to move. A group of does were first in, and though a little early for the rut in our neighborhood, I couldn't help but hope they might cause the big fellow from the evening before to reappear. The sun had not yet begun to fully clear the horizon when he did just that. I had a solid rest against the tree, and the range was under a hundred yards, making my favorite base of the neck shot very practical. He dropped where he stood.

I really pretty deer, and pretty good for our part of the country.

Buck1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful rifle and a great buck - Congrats!

Awesome! Heck of a deer and that rifle, oh my!

Nice deer, beautiful rifle, congrats !

Very nice buck indeed and beautiful rifle! @Bailey Bradshaw fine work is something to be admired for sure.

Im jealous. I lost the last week of deer season and all of elk season due to a mild case of Covid. No deer or elk for me this year. That is a nice deer, congratulations

Beautiful on both rifle and buck!

Looks like a fine whitetail for about anywhere IMO! Great opportunity for a handsome rifle’s first hunt!

Waidmannsheil. And that's a heck of a way to break-in the new rifle

Great fun getting that beautiful rifle out. Congrats!

Beautiful rifle. Great looking buck. Love the right side of the rack.

Im jealous. I lost the last week of deer season and all of elk season due to a mild case of Covid. No deer or elk for me this year. That is a nice deer, congratulations
It's bad enough that the damn virus has kept so many of us out of Africa this year. But to also keep you out of your home hunting grounds is just too cruel!!!!

Not wanting to hijack the thread but yes, it was extraordinarily awful. Several days I felt good enough to go play but my wife was hospitalized for 5 days and needed help when she returned home. I held out hope that I could catch the last 2 or 3 days of elk season but was just hit was the feeling of fatigue. I decided it was best to just stay home. On the upside, today is my first day back to work. I'm hoping to put in 4 to 6 hours today and the same tomorrow before returning to full time.
It'll all make Africa that much sweeter in July.

Redleg I really like that turkey footed side... Just cool

It's bad enough that the damn virus has kept so many of us out of Africa this year. But to also keep you out of your home hunting grounds is just too cruel!!!!
I wasn't clear. No problem hunting out the back door. I just don’t see these sorts of deer even on the trail camera. :cry:

Last edited:
Joe, you were clear, maybe I wasn't. I was commenting on @HuntingGold missing his deer and elk hunting at home due to his coming down with Covid. Sorry.

A great hill country buck!

Joe, you were clear, maybe I wasn't. I was commenting on @HuntingGold missing his deer and elk hunting at home due to his coming down with Covid. Sorry.
That is because I am stupid. Firmly agree.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but yes, it was extraordinarily awful. Several days I felt good enough to go play but my wife was hospitalized for 5 days and needed help when she returned home. I held out hope that I could catch the last 2 or 3 days of elk season but was just hit was the feeling of fatigue. I decided it was best to just stay home. On the upside, today is my first day back to work. I'm hoping to put in 4 to 6 hours today and the same tomorrow before returning to full time.
It'll all make Africa that much sweeter in July.

Redleg I really like that turkey footed side... Just cool
Just glad you and your bride are recovered!!

He would have been really spectacular if that side had matched the other. But, like you, I think it is cool.

It's Super Cool!

Great looking buck! our rifle season in Kansas is at the end of rut. Not the best tasting time for the meat. Any deer I've taken early with a bow were better eating. What is he a five by six.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg