Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
USA (Kansas, Virginia, Texas)
Hello all,

Time for my annual pheasant report. I was able to hunt a couple of good spots in Kansas this year. Unfortunately, camera problems limited our pictures, but here's the update

On December 21, a group went hunting at the Kuhrt Ranch in Edson, KS. 3 adults, 4 boys and two dogs. We came up with seven birds, but the real story was two of the boys were new hunters and got three of the birds! The two "seasoned hands" (myself and an old friend) missed everything we shot at! I was using a 20 gauge pump instead of my trusty old side by side 12, so I blame the gun - couldn't be age or eyesight - but I missed at least five birds!

Paul Flanders at the ranch gave us outstanding service again. Of course, it probably helps that I was one of Paul's teachers when he was in high school and his father and I are old friends and fellow preachers!

www.kurhtranch.com

The next day found two of the "old guys" making gumbo from sausage and pheasant breast and a gathering of families that night, feasting on the bounty provided by the "great hunters." Of course, we were reminded by the newest members of the fraternity as to who had really provided the meat on the table!

On December 26, my brother and I took his son on his first hunt. My brother Joe has not been hunting since his teens and Caleb (14) was not raised as a hunter, but I bought him a .22 rifle for his 11th Christmas and he's pretty good with it. Of course shotguns are a different story, but we were confident.

We found the Prairie Wind Hunting Club nearly Arlington, KS and decided to give them a try.

We were very pleased. Our guide, Steve, was patient with Caleb and very knowledgeable and professional. We decided to hunt through lunch due to weather and the birds were flying so both Caleb and Joe got birds. I was using my old 12, so I did too. After a very late complimentary lunch (our decision - they feed whenever you are ready to come in) we were happily on our way.

My brother took the birds home as I have plenty in my freezer.

Terry Velton at PWHC has a small and homey, but professional operation. We'll probably be back next year.
www.prairiewindhunting.com

One other result - that 20 gauge I used at Kurht Ranch went home with Caleb with a promise to spend some time shooting clays to get ready for next year.

Now, I'm off to the gun store - I need to find a new 20 gauge!

PTDC0007.JPG
PTDC0010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
We came up with seven birds, but the real story was two of the boys were new hunters and got three of the birds

And that is the real story!!!!

Congrats to the new hunters!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross