USA: North Carolina Waterfowl

Congrats! I just got home from Florida this morning a few minutes past 3:00. Still trying to get my head out of the fog that I'm in from the 20-hour drive. I got the 2 ducks that I needed to complete my 41 and as a bonus the last duck that shot was a stud Mottled drake. I'm going to hang up my old Browning now while I still have a little hearing left.
Whod ya hunt with down there still in the very early stages of that hunt. Would love to knock off the 2 tree ducks and mottled all one trip.

Seminole Prairie, Chris Santangelo. We shot Fulvous on Sunday morning, Black bellies on Monday morning and Mottles Monday afternoon. We got very lucky as it usually is not that easy. But when the hunting Gods smile on you just shoot, smile back and say thank you. The light rain that was falling Monday morning delayed the Black belly flight by a few minutes and that allowed us to get under them and do some damage after legal shooting time started. Normally they would fly off before shooting time.

Oh, I wouldn't say either one was easy. The fulvous were flying pretty high over the marsh and when you did knock one down you had to have a bit of luck finding it. And then there were the alligators.

Whod ya hunt with down there still in the very early stages of that hunt. Would love to knock off the 2 tree ducks and mottled all one trip.
I forgot to mention that Chris and the boys will be at the Harrisburg show.

I killed my first swan in 1999 just to say I had done it. I hired a guide and drove the 8 hours to the Outer Banks solo. I killed one on the first draw then sat in the ditch with the guide while another 800 or so decoyed. I heard their voices in my head for days afterward and decided I couldn't get enough. I went several more times with friends then my son was old enough to start going. After his first trip he told my wife, his mom, that he couldn't think about anything but swan voices. I'm convinced the real siren's song is the voice of the Tundra. My son and I went every year we got drawn and I started wanting more and more to do it on my own. I developed enough of a relationship with the guide I had been using that he let me use his property and decoys. My son and I went and I did all the calling by mouth. He killed his bird first then I shot mine. My 11th swan, the one I called in and hunted with just me and my son, hit the off button for me. Not in a bad way, though. In a very satisfying and fulfilling way. Of course, I just got my grandson a lifetime licenses in North Carolina so I look forward to the day when he tells his mom, my daughter, that he can't think about anything but swan voices...

Here's one taken with my Parker Brothers, circa 1911, and a single load of bismuth. My son killed his with a youth model 870 in 20 gauge.

3213083435_2798234ecd_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like an awesome experience. Body booting is definitely on my list of things to try.

You got my attention with a blind that is outlawed. Why is it outlawed?

Sinkbox hunting is considered an "unfair advantage" being you are basically level with the water. It actually got it's start, I believe, in the Chesapeake where "body booting" also apparently was born. It was popular here in NJ as well. Many famous figures such as Grove Cleveland, Babe Ruth, would get ferried out to sinkboxes in the storied Barnegat and Tuckerton bays here in NJ. Big business back then between the market hunting and guiding of many famous folks.

Certain guys actually still get away with it here in NJ. I don't know the specific regs but they by law have to build it somewhat off the water. The distance is negligible. Instead of about the 6-12" or so of freeboard you need to, well, not die in a sinkbox...it's now maybe 2-3'? I suppose? They will build them like pyramids that go down into the water with the tip top point chopped off and open. Sometimes it has a hatch. They also usually have a ramp for a dog. They are now called "floating blinds."

The Nascar driver Martin Truex Jr. has a bunch that are towed out to specific areas in the Barnegat Bay of NJ that he hunts out of.

So bodybooting is standing in hard bottom with your feet “wading” in the water amongst decoys typically your hidden behind very large silhouettes. This is largely done in MD on the upper Chesapeake bay where the Susquehanna dumps into the bay in an area called the flats.

Sinkbox/curtain blind is a NC thing mostly in the lower obx area. It cant be a floating box below the waters surface. Must be attached to bottom and they have a rubber liner that can raise and lower with the tides. These boxes are below the waterline for concealment purposes.

@RBurg44
Nice report on our hunts down there. You have done a awesome job so far in researching, planning and booking hunts for our Slam. This one really does deserve a lot of credit. There were a LOT of moving parts with 6 guys at 2 different outfitters each day, and 3 outfitters on the one day including Johns swan, getting that great house on the beach. Though I didn‘t get to advance on my species list this time, it was a great time with the group and the experiences, seeing a different waterfowling culture from our beloved Chesapeake Bay traditions. THANKS for all the time and effort. From South Africa to Alaska, we’ve had some great times and great hunting. I hope my imminent moving doesn’t affect our hunting, haha.
Heres a similar pic of the sunrise from the curtain blind.
4553FD18-E83E-44BA-B90F-E9BC93B8F4EE.jpeg

@NW James

much appreciated! This move gonna change things but not too much! I got a pond guy lined up ready to break ground soon as ya sign the papers! If you build it they will come!

@RBurg44
Haha. I don’t doubt that you actually do. Mrs. NW James wants her cement pond first though.

Great post! I am looking to hunt Swan next year in NC and appreciate your reviews on the guides in the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg