USA: New Mexico Pronghorn

CO_mtnman

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Just recently returned home from a very successful new mexico pronghorn rifle hunt, I went with my dad,brother and best friend. We try and do a hunt together atleast once a year and none of us have ever taken a pronghorn so we decided to give it a whirl, we had 3 hunting days booked and all tagged out in a day and a half for the 4 of us. We split into pairs the 1st morning, I went with my friend with our guide talen. My dad and brother paired up with guide aric, my brother is new to hunting and had very limited effective range so we where all worries about him getting his tag filled but took his animal at 150 yards with his 270 win shooting 130gr sierra game kings the 1st morning about 2 hours into the hunt! As far as my group went I went 1st during our last hunt so I planned on my friend getting 1st Crack, 2 hours into the hunt we had a chance at a really old animal and my friend commented on how he liked him so I told him to bust him and with a head on shot at 253 yards he connected with his 6.5x284 (suppressed) shooting 130gr berger and the buck only took 5 steps before displaying a somersault. While we where field dressing my friends buck we recieved pictures of my brothers buck. We then decided to go to the other side of the ranch and see what is going on over there about the time we arrived we had a buck run across our path and the guide immediately said that's a good one! You need to shoot him, shoot him right now! My buck finally stopped running at 405 yards and I quickly dialled my scope and dropped him in his tracks with my favorite rifle a weatherby mark v accumark in 30-378 wby shooting a 180gr barnes ttsx. That evening my group decided to go out scouting for my dad's buck on a different side of the ranch from where my dad, brother and aric where hunting and found an absolute stud of a buck. I couldn't hardly sleep that night due to nerves and wondering if my dad would lay eyes on this buck and have an opportunity at him. The next morning we took out early since we had to drive further than before as soon as the sun cracked the horizon we spotted the buck with his 10 does! But at the same time they spotted us and so the cat n mouse game began, the 1st hour withing range we couldn't get a clear shot due to the does being around him, we finally had a very small opportunity at 300 yards as he was walking over a highspot which resulted in a miss, we then spent the next 3 hours trying to locate him again. We finally located him off in the distance at 500 plus yards so we worked our way within range and my dad took shot #2 at 400 yards (I gave him a faulty range resulting in the miss) he then separated from his does so we sprung into action trying to get in between them and we succeed! He was chasing off another buck while we got in between him and his does and he worked his way from 489 yards to 283 yards when dad finally felt comfortable and took his shot dropping the buck with 1 shot with his 270 win shooting 130gr nosler ballistic tip. Overall we had a great time just sharing a new hunting camp together chasing a new animal and the cherry on top was filling all 4 tags.

38168.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding! Congratulations!!

Thank you very much it was a great trip full of memories, full freezer and another taxidermy bill!

Thank you very much it was a great trip full of memories, full freezer and another taxidermy bill!
I like pronghorn meat. To me, it's better than the sage eating mule deer you get up in the mountains here. Congrats to all on a fine hunt!

I've only had pronghorn steaks 1 other time and really enjoyed so I was looking forward to the meat but as my wife where processing it we kind of got turned off from it due to the gamey smell but cooked up fajitas the other day and once again I am in love with it and made my wife a believer, she said it surprised her on how good it was but she still thinks her top 2 are elk and oryx but it's definitely in her top 5

That sounds like a awesome time and hunt!! And nice goat’s to boot!! Congrats

I've only had pronghorn steaks 1 other time and really enjoyed so I was looking forward to the meat but as my wife where processing it we kind of got turned off from it due to the gamey smell but cooked up fajitas the other day and once again I am in love with it and made my wife a believer, she said it surprised her on how good it was but she still thinks her top 2 are elk and oryx but it's definitely in her top 5
The secret is to get that skin off the animal as soon as possible. Whether I/we are hunting in freezing or hot weather, the skin of the elk, deer or pronghorn comes off right away. Many hunters make the mistake of not doing this, because they're going to "drag" the animal or put it into a vehicle and want the skin on. Skin it, gut it and quarter it if possible to get the body heat out. You'll be so glad you did when it comes time to eat it.

Congratulations on a great hunt. What could be better than hunting with friends and family and everyone tagging out in great bucks!

We did the very best we could for taking care of the meat and getting the hide off asap and based off the taste I think we did it in time but I was worried for a moment since I haven't taken an animal in the new mexico August heat before. But bottom line is we had a great time sharing a camp together as always which is our main goal and my freezer now has some great tasting antelope meat to go with my whitetail meat from last year and dwindling supply of an elk cow (which will hopefully get restocked this September)

Congrats to all! Thanks for sharing!

One of the most underrated NA hunts in my opinion. I have a blast chasing after the speed goats!! Can’t talk any of my Pennsylvania deer hunting cult buddies to give them a try. Their loss.

could you PM me the info on the outfitter, details of the hunt arrangements etc please? I've been trying to get something together for past 2 years but things keep falling apart.

Congratulations, some excellent goats and a fantastic hunt. Could you please include me as well with the same info you are sharing with @buck wild. Thanks!

Pronghorn hunting is my favorite big game animal to hunt. You all did great! Beautiful animals!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg