Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
My youngest daughter drew a caribou tag for a local hunt. We flew out to a lake I've camped and hunted at many times through the years, in hopes of filling her tag. I have killed many caribou there myself. Yesterday she made good on filling her tag.

We are both ailing. She is recovering from back surgery, from having been in a plane crash in March. I have a couple of cracked ribs I picked up during moose season a couple of weeks ago. So the goal was something not too difficult and hopefully close to camp. (As it turns out, I wound up having to pack it over a half mile back to camp; the good news is that my whole body is so sore that my ribs are just low level background noise amongst it all)

We spotted a mature cow yesterday and set up a stalk. The cow was still maybe two miles out, but more or less headed our way. We put on a stalk to get the wind in our favor, and be in a good position for a possible shot. The cow turned skittish as she got closer. She could see our tents, and the wind was swirling. My baby girl made good on a shot at a little over 200 yards. It was not an easy shot, because the cow was jittery. She had to take a broadside shot while it was moving perpendicular to us (at dad's behest to shoot). But she put it down hard enough with the first shot, and was able to put in a finishing shot after that. Also, this was her first shot at game off a tripod. She has been practicing at the range getting ready for Africa next June.

Her excitement after the fact was incredible, and I realized later that she actually thought that we weren't going to get one. She has been floating ever since. Today I'll be putting away hunting and camping gear (next hunt: blacktail deer near Sitka in November) and tomorrow we'll cut up her caribou.

I am extremely blessed that my daughters not only love me, but they like me. They like doing stuff with me. And my youngest loves hunting. God has been so good to me, with the kids He entrusted to me.

Her rig: a Savage Axis in .308 in Muddy Girl camo. Ammo was handloads with 150 grain Partitions pushed by H335. Scope is a Weaver with pink accents, to match the rifle. Yours truly was toting my GBL as bear protection.

308373896_432345275633649_2189059329840960382_n.jpg

310456924_10229198254240395_875991029676458556_n.jpg

309340502_640783764363958_3035221438072560848_n.jpg

310288388_10229198256280446_8804508704953227357_n.jpg

310514173_10229198251200319_983783968301725248_n.jpg

310222009_10229198253840385_5782846308532018742_n.jpg

Sweet! That .308 is a rifle she can grow old with. Hope to see it in pics with her in Africa!!!

Blessed indeed!

Thanks for sharing!

Awesome! Well done dad!

Fantastic! Congrats to your daughter! Sorry you had to pack anything out at all with your broken ribs. You’re one tough hombre! No flies on that Savage .308. It did it’s job.

Congratulations @Tundra Tiger and to your daughter. Awesome hunt and experience with a great hunting partner. Filling the freezer too. Well done!

You really are blessed Tundra Tiger. How rare to be able to write about hunting with a daughter at the top end of the world - while planning a trip to the Southern end.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

My youngest daughter drew a caribou tag for a local hunt. We flew out to a lake I've camped and hunted at many times through the years, in hopes of filling her tag. I have killed many caribou there myself. Yesterday she made good on filling her tag.

We are both ailing. She is recovering from back surgery, from having been in a plane crash in March. I have a couple of cracked ribs I picked up during moose season a couple of weeks ago. So the goal was something not too difficult and hopefully close to camp. (As it turns out, I wound up having to pack it over a half mile back to camp; the good news is that my whole body is so sore that my ribs are just low level background noise amongst it all)

We spotted a mature cow yesterday and set up a stalk. The cow was still maybe two miles out, but more or less headed our way. We put on a stalk to get the wind in our favor, and be in a good position for a possible shot. The cow turned skittish as she got closer. She could see our tents, and the wind was swirling. My baby girl made good on a shot at a little over 200 yards. It was not an easy shot, because the cow was jittery. She had to take a broadside shot while it was moving perpendicular to us (at dad's behest to shoot). But she put it down hard enough with the first shot, and was able to put in a finishing shot after that. Also, this was her first shot at game off a tripod. She has been practicing at the range getting ready for Africa next June.

Her excitement after the fact was incredible, and I realized later that she actually thought that we weren't going to get one. She has been floating ever since. Today I'll be putting away hunting and camping gear (next hunt: blacktail deer near Sitka in November) and tomorrow we'll cut up her caribou.

I am extremely blessed that my daughters not only love me, but they like me. They like doing stuff with me. And my youngest loves hunting. God has been so good to me, with the kids He entrusted to me.

Her rig: a Savage Axis in .308 in Muddy Girl camo. Ammo was handloads with 150 grain Partitions pushed by H335. Scope is a Weaver with pink accents, to match the rifle. Yours truly was toting my GBL as bear protection.

View attachment 492630
View attachment 492631
View attachment 492632
View attachment 492633
View attachment 492634
View attachment 492635
@Tundra Tiger
I pray that you and your daughter heal from your injuries. It looks like you had an absolute blast with your daughter. Those of us with children that love us and are are friends as well is truly a blessing.
Congratulations to your daughter on her hunt and a freezer full of nice organic meat.
Well done young lady.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.