huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
A little late posting this and it's not with a bow but here it is anyways.

So opening weekend is labor day weekend here in alaska I took that Friday off and was sitting around the house loading up all my gear. Anticipation was building as my son who is 4 years old was begging to go with me and my buddy and this was a new spot for me that I have heard was a good spot. So fast forward until about 1 pm my buddy finally gets to my house and we start loading his stuff into mine and doing one last strap check on the side by side and four wheeler. We get in the truck with good byes said and getting ready to pull out when I see my son crying his eyes out asking to go. I loom at my buddy and say it's only a short 2 night hunt. We agree so I throw some clothes and a sleeping bag in my bag and we head out.

Friday night as we are trying to set up camp the weather that was supposed to have already hit shows up and starts pouring rain on us while we are trying to set up camp. So we finally get camp set up soaking wet but I decide to do some calls down this valley. (Alot of times it takes bulls hours to get to you so this never hurts) Next morning we wake up and it's a beautiful 40 degrees I go to a fire cut with my son we spot a couple cows and admire the beauty with the calfs playing in the sun. We head back to camo and let him take a nap wake up at 1 pm and decide to check this field where i was calling to the night before and there he stands. The first bull my son has ever seen that close. He says daddy shoot him. Now he doesn't have the biggest spread but was a decent size body and around a 3 or 4 year old so I take the shot 2 lung shots a hip shot and neck shot finally drops him for good. Needless to say we were both ecstatic as it was my first bull to take by myself and not with my normal group and it was my son's first canping/hunting trip out.

I ended up getting 400 pounds of meet and the spread 36.5 in my buddy measured him at 37.

That is part of the back strap on a 120 at cooler for size reference

20170902_140113.jpg
20170902_140009.jpg
20170902_135834.jpg
20170903_165835.jpg
IMG_0557.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you got out hunting. That is a fine moose and will eat well I am sure. Now start that count down on your trip to Africa as it is coming fast now.

Congrats! Looks like you've got a hunting partner for life in the little guy.

I'm hoping so as this was his first one.. he is a mommas boy so that had me a little worried. It was scheduled to one be a 3 day hunt but I couldn't just leave so I rolled the dice. When we got home my wife who is also an avid hunter asked if she could go next time and he said no lol

I'm hoping so as this was his first one.. he is a mommas boy so that had me a little worried. It was scheduled to one be a 3 day hunt but I couldn't just leave so I rolled the dice. When we got home my wife who is also an avid hunter asked if she could go next time and he said no lol

:), momma's boy no more it would seem.

I would say not. That hunt has changed him for lack of better words lol. He claimed the horns and said they were his and I had nothing to do with them lol. So I guess when I get them back they will go where he wants them to go which is in our living room and my wife asked him what if she didn't want them there. His response was he didn't care he wanted HIS moose horns to be seen by everyone. Lol

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thank you and I offered this on another forum I would live to try and help people kill a moose of it is on their hit list. I have done swap hints before. Never in alaska and for a moose but I am open for it. The tags are over the counter and 800 dollars.

I'm glad you let the little guy go! That is a memory he will tell his grand children sixty years from now!

Hilarious he laid claim to the Moose. He'll make a good PH: "Shoot!"

Congratulations to you and your guide.

Mmmm! That backstrap looks like it's going to be delicious!
What time is dinner:ROFLMAO:?

Hilarious he laid claim to the Moose. He'll make a good PH: "Shoot!"

Congratulations to you and your guide.

Lol yea. I'm not sure if you are saying he is the guide of so thank you! I have already decided he can have the horns for me the memory of him being there with me is better than any set of horns lol. Plus until he is 18 they will be in my house lol

Hey, any moose is a good moose when you're after some of the best meat out there....I've shot lots smaller than that! It's even better to have had your little guy out there coaching you through it! He'll grow up strong eating that meat!

Hey, any moose is a good moose when you're after some of the best meat out there....I've shot lots smaller than that! It's even better to have had your little guy out there coaching you through it! He'll grow up strong eating that meat!

Yea I know my busy missed a atleast 50 incher in the same spot the following weekend. But I wouldn't trade mine for his any day since my son was with me.

awesome story and awesome animal. I'm going to take my boy hunting this year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg