AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD,CA) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
Well my son and I traveled to St. Paul Island, Alaska last week to hunt for King Eiders with Alaskan Eider Outfitters. I had always heard that this hunt could be brutal due to the weather conditions in the Bering Sea this time of year, but I always took those reports with a grain of salt, thinking that the tellers of the tales were just making it sound more dramatic for the sake of the story. Man did I figure wrong, the weather took a turn for the worse on the day we flew onto the island. Landing at a small airport with only one runway running at a 90 degree angle to the wind blowing 30 mph with occasional gusts up to 50 mph was unnerving to say the least. We landed safely though and proceeded to slip and slide our way on foot to the terminal on a solid sheet of ice. Once safely inside we were met by our guides gathered our bags and headed to lodge, which was basically two, two story houses, a few miles down a snow and ice covered road. We couldn't take the boats out to hunt the first two days because of the high winds so instead we traveled to the northeastern most point on the island to hunt from the rocky shoreline. The thinking was that with the wind and the surf both pounding the shore that if we shot any ducks out over the water they would be pushed on shore. It sounded like a good plan, but apparently the ducks had more sense then us and didn't bother to fly in those nasty conditions. So there we sat on ice covered rocks with the high winds blowing sea foam and mist right in our faces, with wind chills in the single digits. Shortly after taking a seat on a large rock about 6 to 8 feet above pounding surf I found myself going into what I call full blown survival mode. I was just wanting to hang on and not be the first guy to say that I had enough, I was determined to outlast the younger guys. Well after about 45 minutes of this abuse the sea and mother nature had another surprise in store for me, a rogue wave came out of no where and I found myself sitting in water up to my waist. I still hung on for a few more minutes, when one of the guides decided that we had had enough and declared it was time to head back to camp, you would not have wanted to be between me and my vehicle. Day 3 was a little less windy and the direction of the wind had changed also to a more favorable direction so the decision was made to take the larger of the three boats out and see how things worked out. I'm not sure how the decision making process went as to who was going out on the boat but my son and I were told that we were going along with two other gentlemen on the first hunt. Talk about mixed emotions, I mean we really wanted to get out and hunt, but...… Well we went and other then swells in excess of 10 feet and my son getting sea sick despite taking Dramamine it really wasn't all that bad. The weather conditions improved as the morning wore on and the four of us managed to return to the dock with 8 King Eider drakes by noon. After lunch the boys launched another boat and the other 5 hunters in camp got their turn on the sea. They did pretty well, returning with 9 drake Kings. I'll post more after a while, right now my wife is telling me that supper is ready.
DSCN2315.jpg

Beautiful birds. Glad you toughed it out.

Beautiful birds. Glad you toughed it out.
Me too, seems I'm not quite as tough as I used to be. But I'm not ready to let the young ones know that yet. My wife say's it's not toughness, she has another word for it!

This hunt is on my short list to do soon. Looks forward to learning more! Love the Eiders, harlequins & Old Squaws/long tails

This hunt is on my short list to do soon. Looks forward to learning more! Love the Eiders, harlequins & Old Squaws/long tails
It took me a while to convince myself to spend the money for the trip considering that I could have done a nice plains game safari for the same price. But my son kept pushing me, he wants me to complete my north American duck slam and Kings were one of the last ones I needed. Any time you need more info just ask. I'll be glad to help if I can. Waterfowlers need to stick together! Misery loves company.

Glad you had this great hunt. I hunted Prince William Sound a couple of times for sea ducks. Amazing place Alaska!

This is one hunt you'll always remember. The tough ones are the ones that stick out to you years later. Congrats on the birds!
Bruce

It took me a while to convince myself to spend the money for the trip considering that I could have done a nice plains game safari for the same price. But my son kept pushing me, he wants me to complete my north American duck slam and Kings were one of the last ones I needed. Any time you need more info just ask. I'll be glad to help if I can. Waterfowlers need to stick together! Misery loves company.

I made an early exit from our AH party at DSC, so I could make it to the duck blind this morning. Not easy. We had snow, rain & 40 mph winds..... but boy was it worth it!!!!
IMG_4756.JPG
IMG_4747.JPG

Reactions: BWH
Yessir..... I’m a good timing guy. And for me to leave a party with the beer & friendship flowing.... there’s really only one thing. And my wife & kids will tell you, it ain’t them.... it’s duck hunting.

Yessir..... I’m a good timing guy. And for me to leave a party with the beer & friendship flowing.... there’s really only one thing. And my wife & kids will tell you, it ain’t them.... it’s duck hunting.
Yeah my wife has a name for that too.

Day two was much better weather wise and a decision was made to take all 3 boats out with all 9 hunters having a crack at the morning flights of ducks. The smallest boat is a Zodiac about 15 feet long, it holds 2 hunters and one guide. My son and I got assigned to the Zodiac, I guess maybe because there were only 2 members in our group. We were wondering about the decision to put the two tallest guys in the smallest boat, but we voiced no opposition. After a brief discussion between the two of us we decided that we were paying for an experience, so let's go have the whole experience. So off we went in our little inflatable boat with a 30 hp motor on it, into the Bering Sea, in the middle of winter. After a quick trip down the coast a little way, we set out the decoys and waited for shooting time and the ducks. The guide had just uttered the words, 2 minutes till shooting time when I noticed a drake King heading straight for our decoys. He circled once and the guide says 1 more minute, he circled the decoys and the boat again once more and to my amazement he started a 3rd circle when the guide says that's enough kill him. I hurried a shot as he was passing by the boat on my side and I shot behind him, thank God for semi-auto shotguns, I corrected my aim and killed him dead in the air with my next shot. Barely shooting time and we had 1 drake onboard with us already, not a bad start to the day. A few minutes later another drake gave us a quick pass on my son's side of the boat and he nailed him. Now it was time to start looking for a pair of mature hens since we only had 2 birds left for our limit of 4 eiders each. We like to mount ducks in pairs so we decided to take only 2 hens. A few minutes went by and here comes a single hen right over the decoys, well I guess in hind sight that maybe we should have discussed who was shooting first cause when both our guns went off simultaneously that poor hen dropped like a rock, dead on the water. I'm pretty sure my taxi can fix her and make her look good as new, but he's not going to like it. A short time later another single hen flew over the decoys but this time our mistake wasn't repeated and my son folded her nicely. Oh I forgot to mention that all of our shooting from this small craft was done from our knees, because attempting to stand could have been disastrous. So with sore knees and tired backs our eider hunting came to a successful and safe conclusion. Once back at the lodge we were met with a hot bowl of soup and a peaceful afternoon. The following day was to be our last on the island, that was soon put into doubt when we got the news that our flight might be cancelled due to a minor mechanical issue with the plane. I don't know about you guys but when I'm flying hundreds of miles over the ocean the last thing I want to hear about is mechanical problems. Later that afternoon we got word that the plane was on it's way from Anchorage and our possible cancellation was only going to be a few hour delay. All went well with the flight and we arrived back in Anchorage shortly after 7:00 PM, caught the shuttle to the motel and still had plenty off time for a good meal before calling it a night. The next day my son got to spend his birthday hanging out in Anchorage with his old man, before catching a flight to Seattle at 1:30 AM, another flight from there to Baltimore and a nice quiet ride home from the airport in rush hour traffic on the beltway. Like I said earlier we paid for an experience and that's what this trip was from start to finish, I'm sure that neither he nor I will soon forget all of the memorable moments that we shared, some good and some not so good. But they all added up to one hell of an amazing adventure.
DSCN2319.JPG
DSCN2329.JPG

Great trip! Jerry will be happy to mount some kings i bet! Hope to see ya up there at somepoint!
He seemed pretty happy when I dropped them off yesterday. Let me know the next time your heading up there, maybe I could run up and meet up with you.

Yikes! What a hunt! Not my cup of tea, but awesome you did it, were successful, and survived!
Congratulations!

I’ve seen King Eiders, Harlequins and Emperors on Kodiak. All beautiful birds!

Gorgeous birds.

Damn. Rocking boat, shooting from your knees.
Core exercises are required for that hunt.

Yikes! What a hunt! Not my cup of tea, but awesome you did it, were successful, and survived!
Congratulations!

I’ve seen King Eiders, Harlequins and Emperors on Kodiak. All beautiful birds!
It was the kind of hunt that makes you question your sanity for sure. Your right all of those birds are gorgeous and now they have opened a limited season on Emperors. I'm probably going to have to apply in the lottery for a tag and make a trip up to the Aleutians for one.

Gorgeous birds.

Damn. Rocking boat, shooting from your knees.
Core exercises are required for that hunt.
A good sense of balance and a lot of practice swinging a shotgun at the very least.

Guys I wish that I was a better writer and could find some way to put into words what this hunt meant to me. What I guess I'm trying to say is what it meant to the relationship or the bond or whatever between my son and I. After all of the planning, saving, dreaming, lousy weather and then finally realizing our dream and connecting on a limit of these very special ducks it was a little overwhelming and drew my son and I closer then we have ever been. My son and I spend a lot of time together and we've hunted quite a bit together but this hunt with all of the challenges we had to overcome was very special. When my boy was able to pull it together after puking his guts out over the stern of the boat and finally connect on a big drake king I have to tell you that I couldn't hold back the tears, everything just seemed like it was stacked against us. And then the next day when he shot the last duck of his limit he leaned over and gave me a hug. It might not sound like much but he and I have never been the hugging kind, we're more like good friends, anyway that hug meant more to me then I could ever express.

Great story, tough but memorable hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross