Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Hungary
Some of you have seen on here that I'm fixing to go to Europe for a year with the Army. I've been talking with @gizmo for some time, thinking about coming to hunt. Last year timing was off, as he was getting fence work done when I wanted to being the kiddos, so we went for a Florida gator. Shoot, I just ate that for dinner (yum!). I decided I needed to make the trip before I leave so the bank account can recover quickly.

I've also been trying to convince a busy to join me, but he's graduating his master's next weekend and unavailable. Looks like I'll be making the 900ish mile journey alone.

The plan is for me to leave early Friday morning and suffer the 14 hours, arriving by midnight. Two days of hunting for a goat, quail and pigs. He sent me this cameo to entice.
IMG_5943_1543623154529_1543623389768.jpeg

I'll be taking a big cooler to bring home what I can from the trip. Looks like I'll leave the electric hooked up while I'm away so I'll have some stock when I return.

Anyone have a great recipe for goat or quail? It'll be my first time eating that critter.

I'm jealous. Gizmo has a great place down there and I would love to get back there! You'll have a fun hunt!

ArmyGrunt, you’re going to have a whoot of a time! It’s a nice place to visit. Be safe on that long drive!
The best sheep and goat I’ve ever had was roasted in the ground on coals. Some parts a bit crisp, but the fat carmelizes well and adds a great deal to the flavor. I plan to bring the tenderloin and back straps back from my hunt to grill. This will do the same after marinading with Italian dressing. You can add some brown sugar if you want it a bit sweeter.
Good luck, be safe and thanks for your service!

Very Cool. I am gonna be there in a couple of weeks so don’t shoot all my quail!
Haha just kidding. :)Gizmo is a blast to hunt with and the Rockin G is amazing. :D Beers: Have FUN!

The best sheep and goat I’ve ever had was roasted in the ground on coals. Some parts a bit crisp, but the fat carmelizes well and adds a great deal to the flavor. I plan to bring the tenderloin and back straps back from my hunt to grill. This will do the same after marinading with Italian dressing. You can add some brown sugar if you want it a bit sweeter.
Good luck, be safe and thanks for your service!

In the ground on coals? How does that work? Marinade does sound pretty tasty as well. I might pick up some goat at the local Fresh Market and try that out Tuesday at work, if it's not ground as my only choice there.

Dig big hole in ground, build a big fire, drink beverage of choice while fire burns to coals. Have additional fire burning in fire pit. Once coals are ready throw down a piece of tin wrap whole goat or
Sheep in brown uncoated Butcher paper. Throw on tin put another piece of tin on top add coals from fire pit cover with dirt.

Continue on with your day enjoying beverage of choice playing horseshoes and pitching washers. Get hungry order pizza and feed the goat to the dog or over indulge to the point anything will taste good.

I have just never had sheep or goat that I cared for hope you find it more to your liking

The ground goat from that grocery was pretty good with scrambled eggs for breakfast last time

LOVE braised goat... roasted isnt half bad either..

Not a particularly big fan of sheep (wild or domestic)... but I mixed the meat from a texas dall that I took about 3 years ago with some pork and it made decent breakfast sausage.. I'd happily take another (or a corsican, or black hawaiian, or any of the other common exotic sheep you can find in texas)..

Here we are, freshly threaded and suppressed. Ready to go BANG....I mean pew! Blaser R8 in 300 WM.

I'm packing the last on my things now, planning on driving at least half way to Turkey tonight.
20181206_160538.jpeg

I think goat tastes kind of like a cross between deer and beef, but sheep is another matter I've yet to find a way that I like it, an old ram is not my idea of a good piece of meat.

Last edited:
Of all my trips/hunts to the Rockin G with @gizmo we always enjoyed the local “table fare” from the harvest..... from heart to backstrap. All excellent in its own way. Different, but excellent. My daughter shot a ram, we dined on it. Entire family enjoyed. If it’s dark & comes off the grill, they think it’s “steak”...... unless it’s white... then it’s “chicken”...... the only other food group they know is bacon.

Of all my trips/hunts to the Rockin G with @gizmo we always enjoyed the local “table fare” from the harvest..... from heart to backstrap. All excellent in its own way. Different, but excellent. My daughter shot a ram, we dined on it. Entire family enjoyed. If it’s dark & comes off the grill, they think it’s “steak”...... unless it’s white... then it’s “chicken”...... the only other food group they know is bacon.
Bacon IS its own food group!

I got here yesterday around 3, and while the place was empty it was hardly a ghost town. Of course Garmin gave me the wrong destination, but I was close: half mile away and looking on the wrong side of the road. Driving down the lane presents a beautiful view of part of the property, a few barns and the lodge.
Opening the front door, I was greeted by this lovely room of hunting celebration. A wrap around porch gives an amazing panorama view. There's two shooting stations to confirm your sights, 100 and 200 yds. Since I just got the muffler installed I needed to use these for sure.

When Erik arrived we did the typical greetings and headed off to Hotel turkey for dinner and socializing. After a few hours of hospitality, we two returns to the lodge and talked long into the night. Morning plan was made and it was off to bed for a well deserved sleep after nearly 20 hours of journey here.
1544280361786.jpeg
Snapchat-731979764.jpeg
Snapchat-265273804.jpeg

Woke up this morning around 7, which is sadly sleeping in for me, and found that snow had fallen and was still going. While it was a meager 32F outside, there wasn't a lot of wind so it felt surprisingly good.
snow falling.jpg

We ate some breakfast, courtesy of the Hotel Turkey, and headed back out to confirm where my sights were set. This time using a bench rest instead of my own hand. A quick elevation adjustment and then I was ready to ring the bell at the 200 yds mark. Bazinga!, one and done.
Off we went on the SxS ATV to see what there was to see, with billie on the menu first of all. Just for grins I started my stopwatch to see how long it took for us to find success. Not a quarter mile down the road and he spotted a coyote standing in the field. A hard mash of the brakes and power slide I grabbed my boom stick to try and drop Wile E. I guess he must have seen the Roadrunner because he took off pretty quick. Erik tried to get the dog to stop, but no luck. I didn't have a comfortable standing position or lead on him, so that lucky dog is still roaming free. Down the road we went, passed through the gate and into the high fenced stomping ground.
He says there is a solid 400 head of animals within the confines of this region, I think we only saw a dozen.
audad 1.JPG
audad on the hill.JPG

A little more roving and he spotted one of the dybowski sika standing and staring at us. I had to take a picture of that guy!
dybowski sika.JPG

There was also a group of mouflon, corsican and Texas dall. We saw this bunch a few different times during the morning stroll.
mouflon, catalina and texas dall.JPG

Several minutes later, still driving the winding trails through the canyons, Erik spotted a trio of catalina goats at a distance. A quick glance where his binos were pointing and I saw them myself. These would be the targets which we'd stalk. He said these all had great horns and were fair game.
bachelor herd.JPG

Dismount the SxS and scanned the area for the best avenue of approach. I haven't done that many hunts in my past, but I've been Infantry for half of my life. I still find it fascinating that the best approach to hunting follows the same tactics I've used and taught for years. Today we're going to flank left, go down, around and up again to the other side of a near vertical mesa-shaped spur. The snow made it slippery and noisy, each step going crunch crunch. We crossed a few strings of tracks of bobcat, badger, deer and coyote going in various directions.
Down and around the end of a spur we went. Time to get slow and quiet. The trio should be standing right at the top of the hill. We crept up the snow-covered hill to the crest. No critters in sight, so we continued on. I was trying to stay in step and directly behind Erik to minimize the risk of being busted. Then he stopped and half-skipped to his right. The brown billy was standing just behind a bush about 80 yds away. I couldn't see it, but I spotted a black mass further to the right shaking its head around.
The lack of wind meant we could have a short conversation of what the next few moments would hold. I suggested moving left and getting closer under cover of shrubbery, but I noticed the black billy was still standing in the same place while the other two I could hardly make out.
the corridor.JPG

This bad billy was standing in just about the best way he could have been, practically daring me to take the shot. Right broadside, slightly quartered away and looking off into the distance. I could almost hear it shouting, "come at me, bro!" Erik whipped out the shooting sticks, I posted the rifle and double checked where I needed to place the shot. One nice, slow breath to calm the shake, click the safety forward on my muffled R8.
Bang, err ummm, pew. My sights fell back to where they started just in time for me to see this goat simply fall over. It wasn't in the way that I've seen before in videos where the animal took a couple of steps and dropped. You know what those fainting goats do when they get scared? Yeah, that is what I saw. Nothing but a horn in the air and some twitching remained. Handshakes and cheers abound. We watched a few minutes to see what the other two were going to do, and to make sure billy had time to expire. We were both surprised at how smooth this trek went. Erik said this it the first time in a while the plan has gone just as prescribed, or that he'd gotten a goat on the first morning.
tango down.jpg

.....and then it hit me.....I had my digital camera in my pocket still. I brought that darn thing specifically to get some footage of the hunt, whereas my Florida gator was not recorded because I had my teenage daughter running the camera, and she was...lacking. Here I am yet again without some cool TV show type film. Oh well, I'm still going to remember this hunt for some time.

Attachments

• easy tracking.jpg
    easy tracking.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 226
Last edited by a moderator:
After I remembered the camera, I handed it over for Erik to get some video as we approached the animal. It shows that he's had some TV shows filmed on his watch. I could hear some of what he was saying at first, but I started to focus on where I was walking, and looking at my quarry. Plus, I wanted to grab another picture while walking up.
on the approach.jpg
On first inspection I couldn't see anything that looked like an exit wound, but later found the faintest red trail. He didn't keep the pew pill I gave him. So ungrateful... I was expecting a stronger smell to be coming off him, since I was told these weirdos think peeing on their own face is a great way to pick up chicks. Everyone likes their own brand, I suppose.
I tried to make sure I got some really good pictures today. We did a variety of angles, I and remembered to give him the last bite. I like that tradition the Europeans have, respect for the animal that will provide my family, friends and me with food, warm feet and fond memories.
mugshot with plant.jpg

I'm really pleased how this one turned out! This might well be my favorite photo of the day, but I'll give my audience a few more.
admiring.JPG
erik admiring.JPG
approach.JPG

timed selfie.JPG

This one is after the excitement was finished, while driving around to pick up the goat to take to the cleaning shed.
dynamic duo.jpg

The bachelor herd was staring at us on overwatch as we took the series of photos. I wonder what was going through their minds.
overwatch.JPG

muleys on feeder.JPG

There were muleys all over the property. Definitely the most seen critter of day one. On the other side of the property, free range section just off the lodge, we saw better than a dozen walking around. After lunch and a siesta we went back out to see what else would present itself and to drop some bait for the pigs to sample in the evening. A trap pen was set, and beyond beef we really didn't find anything of note.
Nearing twilight we returned to the stand by the bait to sit and wait. Typically the coyotes will sound the call and soon the pigs make their grand appearance. Well, this morning must have been too easy, because the evening was a wash. The muleys were out munching further to our right, but no one else came to visit. I'm not really a sit and wait kind of person for this reason. I have so much more fun getting out and looking. I love the stalk, trying to outsmart and out maneuver the animals. Make it fair for everyone. Fingers crossed tomorrow will present with some fun-filled, gun-toting American hunting action! I'm not a strong shotgun guy, but we're going to have a go at clays and quail if the fates smile on us. Erik brought a few fun toys. a SxS 9.3x74 and an O/U 12 gauge freshly returned from a rebuild at the factory.
Sabatti.jpg

The after video.

insert pill.jpg

Looks like I broke the right shoulder. It moved about like a whitetail, whose shoulder isn't attached by a joint to the body. From here I couldn't tell what else was damaged, but the guess was a good pump shot. Later on, during the skinning, we found I had hit the spine which caused his fainting goat syndrome.
I planned from the beginning to take all the meat home. I've not yet got to try heart meat, so that was collected and cleaned up. I've been a paramedic for about 7 years, so squeezing out the remaining blood, and getting to inspect by sight and feel that heart was really fascinating. I sent a snapchat message out to several friends asking if anyone wanted the oysters...I didn't expect anyone to say yes! I grabbed those to deliver to one person. (yup, she wants deez nutz!)
Dinner was again delivered by Hotel staff. Huge ribeye, baked tater and shrimp made my plate. Be still, my heart!

If you've got any suggestion for how to prepare the heart or nuts, I'll take them. Krystal said she doesn't know how to fix testes, so anything will probably be appreciated.

Congrats on a nice billy!!

Congrats on a nice billy!!
Thanks! We were both super happy with this one. I just need to measure at home to figure out how and where you hang it up. It's got a pretty wide beam, and my living room might be a tight fit.

Congratulations! Great time to be at the G!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross