Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia,....AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI
This all started over a year ago (2014) when Bullthrower let me tag along on a varmit hunt to the Rockin G Ranch outside of Turkey Texas. During that hunt it was obvious that the Rockin G has an enormous number of Rio Grande turkeys and I knew that I had to go back and work on the North America turkey slam. We don't have turkeys in Alaska so it's always cool to get to do something different in a cool place like the Rockin G.
I called @gizmo last summer and told him that I really wanted to come back and smack one of his Rio's. We set dates and I sent him a deposit.

4/28/16 Thursday 12:00 noon I flew out of Anchorage.
Flying all night with transfers through Portland, Seattle, Dallas-FortWorth and arrived in Amarillo Friday morning 4/29 at 9:30am with absolutely no problems. I hardly slept at all except maybe 20 min on the SEA-DFW leg. But everything was on time and worked exactly the way air travel is supposed too. And as I was waiting for my luggage, Gizmo came in to meet me at baggage claim. We loaded up my gear and headed for the Ranch. Stopped at the Cracker Barrel for some breakfast and at Walmat for groceries and we were out of town for the 90 min drive to the Ranch.

When I got into the truck at the airport I noticed a very "suspicious" box of ammo in the cubby on the dash. I of course took a pic and some good ribbing ensued :A Gathering:as I was positive that NO ONE would ever see another box of Hornaday DG ammo around anything associated with Gizmo ever again after the failures he had last year in SA.
image.jpeg

But after Gizmo assured me that he was ONLY shooting pigs and varmits with them so he could reload the brass with A-Frames all was right with the world. :A Big Hello:And we arrived at the Ranch about 1:15 pm.

We unloaded the truck, put way the groceries, and loaded up hunting and fishing gear the bakkie right away. Here is a pic of the RockinG Bakkie.
image.jpeg

It was still to early in the day for Turkeys, but a quick scout of the field that G suggested we should try first for Turkey and then G suggested that we go try some fishing in a little honey hole in the creek that runs through the property. We took his ultralight spinning rods and by 4:00pm, a couple dozen bluegill, bass, and a couple of cold refreshments I was ready for a nap.:A Thumbs Up: So back to the lodge and for an hour siesta...

Friday evening 4/29 a little after 6:00pm, we have the turkey decoys set up, we are hunkered down in the brush line along the edge at the far end of the field and Gizmo is working his best "here turkey turkey turkey" mojo. A group of turkeys come out at the other end of the field and are messing around a deer feeder. They are far enough away that we can't tell if they are hens, toms or even how many there are for sure. G assures me not to worry, as the evening wears on they will move through the field our direction to head to roost. We talk about how many to shoot and G tells me " if you can get two, go ahead".
I am watching this group at the far end to see if they start moving our way, G says "hey, here come some". Sure enough, directly across the field from us comes a different group of mixed Toms, Jakes, and a couple hens. They saw the decoys and started working our direction in kind of a zig zag pattern. Two of the Toms kind of warily leading the way. Just as they came into shotgun range (about 45 yards) , just beyond the decoys, they turned and were headed towards the end of the field and looked to me like they were not going to get any closer. I asked G what he thought. And he said "if you got a shot take it". I slowly set up my shotgun on a tree branch and got into position to take the closest tom when another one lined up about 5 yards directly behind him. All I could remember at that second was G telling me"If you can get two, go ahead". And I squeezed the trigger. The next thing I hear is G saying "holy crap man, you got two"!!!! :A Banana::E Happy:

image.jpeg

And the plan came together on the first evening of the first day of hunting. And really we were only in the blind for a little over an hour. Gotta love it when a plan comes together.:E Dancing:

Back to the lodge and G quickly cleans the birds, and gets them hanging in the cooler. Then it's celebratory margaritas, with excellent 4 course fish tacos for dinner. Gizmo is an EXCELLENT cook by the way!! After dinner we off for some nighttime scouting of the property from the bakkie and finally Africa Hunting Videos and shooting pool until 04:30am:D Cheers::D Drunk:super good time!!

More to come... This was only day one:D Beer Draft:

Amazing story.......especially the Hornady ammo! Good shooting there Mekaniks. Are you after anything else while there?

Day 2, Saturday 4/30

We start out really slow.... At about 11:00am, not hungover of course:whistle: but just moving slow from all the excitement yesterday. A pot of coffee and Gizmo makes a big breakfast and by mid afternoon we are out looking for his Rams and Goats. After about an hour of scouting we find them bedded down in the shade of misquite trees. Gizmo has some excellent Rams. I looked really hard at a Texas Dall and almost lost it when I saw a HUGE painted desert that he has. At the end of the day, I saved my money for my upcoming trip to SA this fall.... Maybe my wife will read this and realize how much self control I really have ;);)
We spent the rest of the afternoon fishing the creek for bluegills and bass. Super high volume fishing and lots of fun in the little creek with light tackle.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then we finish up the evening sitting in the stand watching for hogs. No hogs come in. Apparently they didn't get message from the turkeys. Or maybe they did get the message.... Regardless we saw lots of turkeys and a few deer but no hogs.
Gizmo cooks another fantastic 4 course BBQ chicken dinner. A couple of beers and we are in bed relatively early (before midnight) since a repeat of the previous night didn't really appeal to either of us, much:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Day 3, Sunday 5/1

We sleep in awhile, still attempting recovery from the other nights activities I think:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but we roll out mid morning and Gizmo makes another great breakfast. We are off to Caprock State State Park. Caprock has the only remaining wild buffalo left in Texas. And the last time I was here we looked for them but didn't find them.
This time was a different story. Lots of Buffalo...
image.jpeg

We spent about 3-4 hours fishing bluegills and Bass in the Caprock lake. Lots of fish until the wind came up and we headed for the Ranch.

Spent some time fishing the honey hole again at the ranch and then we are in the stand again waiting some hogs.
Lots of deer and turkeys again but alas...no hogs. I don't think the Rockin G hogs like me much. I may have to go back again some day so we can get them squared away:)
Anyway, this is a pic of the turkeys out the window of the hog stand that evening
image.jpeg

Another great dinner tonite and my Rockin G weekend hunting trip is almost over....

Monday 5/2- I have a 4pm flight out of AMA and Gizmo has to be to work at 2:00pm. We get packed up, and we are on the road back to Amarrillo. Gizmo dropped me off at the airport plenty early, so I have time write this report while it's all still fresh... And it's back to work tomarrow:D Beers:

Mekaniks thanks brother and I had a blast!

Glad you had fun with Erik!

I've got to get there soon.

Looks like a great time. Congrats to you both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing. It looks like the place to go for Rio's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!