USA: Huge Elk- No Tag

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Start of Elk season was today. In this part of Washington State the general elk tag is only open for "true spikes" (one point on each side) so before dawn I find my way to a stand. It gets light and a few minutes later I see the biggest elk of my life. The breeze was in my favor and I sat still so he approached tight toward me then followed the terrain so he passed about 15 feet in front of me. He had a huge 7 point rack and a body that likely would weigh 7 or 800 pounds. It was followed by a 6 point that was about half the size of the monster. Naturally I wasn't picked for one of the branch antler permits this season, so I got to sit and watch them as they walked past and out of sight. I just hope to find one of their kids. Sorry no pictures, but I take my camera with me now, so if I see him again, maybe a pic.

Wow, I think that would be a huge fella. That must have been some experience to have those two stroll past so closely.

I always see the nicest animals when I don't have a tag. Honestly, it's like they get a memo or something. Last time is was a big bull moose when we had a cow tag. This year we have a bull tag, so I suspect I will see cows everywhere.

Very similar to when we see these once in a lifetime animals, and these animals then "not being on the hunter's list."
Always a treat running into these monsters. Thank you for sharing.

Ray B, that is the story of a hunter's life. Glad you got the chance to see some really nice Elk. At least now you know they are there. One has to chuckle in knowing that yours was not an infrequent experience. Those Elk will be vividly remembered and talked about over a campfire for many years to come. Don't ask me how I know, only mine weren't Elk they were Whitetail.

“Murphy” strikes again!

Well that certainly sucks.

On the other side of the coin, what a cool experience! That stuff is what keeps us out there doing what we do...the sights and sounds.

Also, you’d probably agree that’s better than the other way around...big bull tag and only spikes in sight. :Bored:

That should whet the appetite.
Hunting with the Camera: I hope you can get a picture of this guy.

Hope your spiker come by.

We'd love to see a picture should you get one. Good luck on your elk hunting.
Bruce

Start of Elk season was today. In this part of Washington State the general elk tag is only open for "true spikes" (one point on each side) so before dawn I find my way to a stand. It gets light and a few minutes later I see the biggest elk of my life. The breeze was in my favor and I sat still so he approached tight toward me then followed the terrain so he passed about 15 feet in front of me. He had a huge 7 point rack and a body that likely would weigh 7 or 800 pounds. It was followed by a 6 point that was about half the size of the monster. Naturally I wasn't picked for one of the branch antler permits this season, so I got to sit and watch them as they walked past and out of sight. I just hope to find one of their kids. Sorry no pictures, but I take my camera with me now, so if I see him again, maybe a pi

I would like to use the swarm knowledge of the Elk hunters here
Do you have a bullet exit with the big stags, or is that just too much mass?

Depends on the bullet used and caliber. I’ve had 7mm magnums go through with Nosler Partitions. And I’ve seen other caliber/bullet combinations result in finding the bullet just under the offside hide.

The answer is yes.

I have had both. I shot a cow once where the bullet was recovered on the far side hide. The shot was 30 yards broadside. I have also had 400 yard shots with complete pass through of the bullet. Same 7mm Rem mag shooting 150 grain bullets.

With my .340 Weatherby I have yet to recover a bullet. Out of that I am shooting a Barnes TTSX 225 grain bullet. Ranges have been from 50 yards out to 600.

Last bull I shot was center body just at the rear of the shoulder - 7mm RM with 160 Nosler PT at about 80 - 90 yards. Dead within 50 yards and found the bullet balled up under the skin on the off-side. This is pretty typical for this cartridge/bullet combination IME.

I've killed several elk, both bulls and cows with my 300 WM or 338 WM. I would say passthroughs are about 50/50. Really depends on several factors such as distance, bullet design and if i hit/clipped a shoulder blade/bone.

308, 180g oryx and a pass thru. Though I missed because I could hear the bullet travel down the valley. Bull down less then 50 yards away.

Cannot recall ever recovering a bullet from an elk. 300WM, 30-06, 45-70, 30-30, 270Win, all pass throughs. Also none shot beyond about 130yd. All were shot with good old cup and core type bullets, mostly Remington CoreLokts, handloaded, not factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg