JKT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi All

What is your opinion on "Ox Ranch" in Texas? They caught my eye because I see they offer kangaroos (!!) for hunting. Kangaroos are on my bucket list, but since it is extremely difficult to travel to and get a permit to hunt them in Australia itself, this might be a good alternative for me to investigate.

Their website is http://www.oxhuntingranch.com/hunting

I cant seem to find any references on that site, so your feedback on what this outfitter/PH is like would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much!

Last edited:
WOW, throw another 5k on top of the trophy fee for a Roo at that place you can fly to OZ, shoot water buff and Roo's. All of those trophy fees are outrageous! I will try to get you a contact number to a ranch up by abalone that has much better prices on them. Maybe @gizmo can help you out also.

WOW, throw another 5k on top of the trophy fee for a Roo at that place you can fly to OZ, shoot water buff and Roo's. All of those trophy fees are outrageous! I will try to get you a contact number to a ranch up by abalone that has much better prices on them. Maybe @gizmo can help you out also.
$7000 for a kangaroo? Not from my bank account......or yours either apparently!

Reactions: JKT
It's my understanding that no more Roos are available for harvesting in OZ anymore, unless you are on the official culling list. At least that's what I was told on my last trip down under in Queensland and NSW.

Every review I have ever read on the Ox Ranch has been extremely positive. I've looked at them a couple of times, but have ruled them out every time I have considered them.. someone else either had a better deal, was easier to get to, etc.. at the time..

Most of their "exotic" prices are reasonably in line with what other higher end TX ranches offer.. Some things are more expensive.. some are cheaper.. but they seem to balance out ok when you compare them to their prime competitors..

What I have found pretty interesting is some of the "package" deals they have going.. for example dove hunting is "free" if dove season is open and you have paid for any other hunt.. same thing for ducks..

So if you were down at the Ox Ranch this past weekend.. you could have potentially bagged your roo in the morning on Saturday.. and then spent the afternoon in the dove field, and sunday morning shooting teal.. and bagged a bunch of birds... all at no additional cost..

Thank you so much, that would be really appreciated!

I am still a noob when it comes to trophy prices hahaha! And this is the only outfitter I have seen offering kangaroos so have no idea if it is market related. :A Bonk:

Apparently they don't assist with permits either when I asked them which does make life more difficult

It's my understanding that no more Roos are available for harvesting in OZ anymore, unless you are on the official culling list. At least that's what I was told on my last trip down under in Queensland and NSW.
That is my understanding as well. So my thinking was not to plan for a pointless trip to Australia if I can't hunt them there. If I can get them in the USA then I can fly there instead :)

I took my us on there to shoot pigs at night. We had a great time. Nice facility, good food. Our guide was quite personable.

It's a Texas ranch hunt so don't expect to work too hard for that roo.

That is my understanding as well. So my thinking was not to plan for a pointless trip to Australia if I can't hunt them there. If I can get them in the USA then I can fly there instead :)
Maybe the outfit I am booked with is approved but he assured me I can shoot Roo and donkey(neither of which I would plan to export so I never asked that question). I believe I would be to tempted to have a life size mount with boxing gloves done like the one on loonney tunes! The Javalina has ruined a many potential evenings when they see it, an overgrown mouse would prolly put me into celibacy!lol
Cheers,
Cody

Maybe the outfit I am booked with is approved but he assured me I can shoot Roo and donkey(neither of which I would plan to export so I never asked that question). I believe I would be to tempted to have a life size mount with boxing gloves done like the one on loonney tunes! The Javalina has ruined a many potential evenings when they see it, an overgrown mouse would prolly put me into celibacy!lol
Cheers,
Cody
Lol I could easily be totally wrong :whistle: all the different laws are so confusing I never know which ones are true or not! If you can please pm me the details of the outfit :)

You should go for it....A life size boxing kangaroo mount would be an ultra cool display piece :ROFLMAO:! !!

The Ox has a very good reputation. They are pricey but it will be a 5 Star experience. I have never seen roos in Texas so that's a 1st and I live here.

Thank you so much, that would be really appreciated!

I am still a noob when it comes to trophy prices hahaha! And this is the only outfitter I have seen offering kangaroos so have no idea if it is market related. :A Bonk:

Apparently they don't assist with permits either when I asked them which does make life more difficult
Texas exotic game licenses are $48 for 5 days. Call their office, give them a credit card number, and you will soon receive the tiny license in a few days. I think they have a ten day license for 132, but I haven't done that one. These prices are for non-residents.

Texas exotic game licenses are $48 for 5 days. Call their office, give them a credit card number, and you will soon receive the tiny license in a few days. I think they have a ten day license for 132, but I haven't done that one. These prices are for non-residents.

or you can wait until you arrive in Texas to get your license..

a quick 10 minute stop in the Walmart in Uvalde (closest town to the Ox Ranch I believe that has a Walmart) and you can pick up a non resident license there..

Easiest thing to do is Walmart or Academy. I've not hunted that ranch, but hunted a private low fence place just west of there. Very cool terrain throughout.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/wor...-humans-two-to-one-in-australia-a3632126.html

You might be able to get in on something in Australia

Australians told to eat more kangaroo as population hits double that of humans

Australians have been told to hunt and eat kangaroos after the population of the marsupial reached double that of humans.

New data shows the kangaroo population in Australia is close to hitting 50 million, while the human population stands at 24 million.

Experts are now warning Australians to hunt, eat and cull the native animal or face being overrun by it.

The kangaroo population has boomed in recent years, rising to 45 million last year from 27 million in 2010, news.com.au reported. The huge rise in kangaroo numbers is thought to be due to an abundance of food after high rainfall.

David Paton, Associate Professor from the University of Adelaide, said communities needed to support kangaroo culling programmes and eat their meat to avoid wasting carcasses.

“If we’re going to cull these animals we do it humanely, but we also perhaps should think about what we might use the animals that are killed for,” he told the ABC.

“We shouldn’t just simply leave them out in paddocks to rot of leave them in the reserves to rot.”

A large kangaroo population could also pose a threat to biodiversity, Professor Paton said: “It’s not the kangaroos’ fault they’re overabundant, it’s probably we’ve just been too reluctant to take a stick to them, remove them out of the system sooner, to actually prevent the damage being caused.”

Kangaroos are seen as national pests in Australia. According to a report published by the Victorian Department of Sustainability and Environment, they damage fences, compete with domestic livestock for food and water and trample crops.

There have also been reports of kangaroos behaving violently towards humans in areas where they have been fed by members of the public.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have have Roos at the moment but Holley smokes 7k is freaking outrageous. If your interested I can do some checking around and see what those things cost. Thing about here in Texas is some of the things you'd think wouldn't be that expensive are higher than giraffe nuts while others aren't. I can call around and see what I can get them for if you'd like.

I don't have have Roos at the moment but Holley smokes 7k is freaking outrageous. If your interested I can do some checking around and see what those things cost. Thing about here in Texas is some of the things you'd think wouldn't be that expensive are higher than giraffe nuts while others aren't. I can call around and see what I can get them for if you'd like.

Thanks so much @gizmo that would be awesome sauce :) .

I see drunken Kangaroo boxing in my future at the Rockin G! Hell yeah!

Thanks so much @gizmo that would be awesome sauce :) .
Ok, just give me a bit to get caught up on a few things and I'll hunt a few down and see what I can do. If it's ok I'll PM you soon as I have some definite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois