Wade J VanGinkel

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Waited 12 years for this day but my grandson finally got to go on his first deer hunt. We had one planned in Texas last year but being sick with covid got that canceled.
This past Saturday morning here at home we managed to put a short stalk on this doe about 9am and he was able to take the shot off sticks at about 75 yards.
Although he hit almost exactly where he was aiming it was poor shot placement. The deer had turned quartering towards us just before the shot. But he proudly proclaimed he was still able to hit it right behind the shoulder as he had been told to do. My mistake on not explaining angles to him ahead of time.
The deer was hit to far back as the bullet traveled into the gut instead of the heart as he had intended.
None the less after about a 400 yard tracking job the deer was found and recovered. We waited an hour after it went into the brush and actually saw it expire as we moved in.
Not the way I like it to happen but was afraid to lose it if we pushed quickly.
I knew he wouldn't be able to take a fast follow up shot if it was required.
But, everything worked out much to his relief as he was getting pretty down on himself.
We'll be out next weekend for his buck tag as school interferes with a proper hunting season.

231052.jpeg
20211030_110126.jpg
20211030_125243.jpg

Great face, can't smile any bigger. excellent pics. thanks for sharing a fantastic personal experience.

great stuff
great for kids to be hunting

Congratulations, nothing better than passing on the traditions of the hunt to the next generation. Well done.

It is a long wait.
Congratulations to you both.

Congratulations to the young man!

Congratulations to both of you! Especially glad to see the young man helping with the skinning of his doe.

Congrats to hunter and proud grandfather !

How awesome! It is just so exciting to get to be there with a child or grandchild on their first successful hunt!
Congratulations to you both!

The smile says it all. He'll remember that one for a long time. Good job.
Bruce

Awesome!
Now, get him to cook you some backstrap!
My daughter already has that cut up and some will be prepared tonight .
The rest of the deer was delivered to his great grandfather who is processing it into Carne a Seca. Dried meat. Similar to Jerky but starts out crunchy do to being literally dried.
My ex wife is Latino so he's learning many different ways.

Congratulations all around. I've had a similar sh** eating grin on my face three times now. Once for each grandson. Do everything you can to keep him hunting. You will be rewarded down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.