John Camp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Mexico, Georgia, California, Missouri, Tennessee, Iowa, Idaho
It took 7 days of hard hunting in the Appalachian Mountains of North Georgia, but I got my 2nd Mountain Buck. t took my first last December. This is the most challenging hunting I know. It is both physically and intellectually exhausting. This is the biggest deer I have ever seen in Georgia. He was certainly better than 225 and in the Eastern Mountains that is an absolute monster. He is also my first pack out. It took me 5.5 hours and three trips to butcher him and pack him the 1.5 miles up the ridge to the truck. He Green Scores 130.5 inches.

deer4.jpg
deer3.jpg
deer2.jpg
deert.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats...that's 2 awesome bucks in as many years! And both had really long main beams too. Is that common in that area? Not using the Tikka this year I see. Lol. That Ruger looks pretty stout!

Very nice buck for your area. Especially a public land buck. Congrats
Bruce

Congrats...that's 2 awesome bucks in as many years! And both had really long main beams too. Is that common in that area? Not using the Tikka this year I see. Lol. That Ruger looks pretty stout!
Thanks. I think the genetics are strong for main beams where I am hunting. Both deer got similar comments from locals. This is a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .416. I take it when dealing with fog or rain. I use the open sights until I am set up and the weather clears and then pop on my scope. I have Alaska Arms scope rings and they have proven to be reliable. This was the Ruger's first deer. It spun the big buck in a circle and knocked him on the ground. He got up and ran towards me and to my left. I hit him again with a 400 gr and he looked like a cottontail hit with a 12 gauge. He tried to get up again but I grabbed one antler and stepped on the other. He was gone in seconds.

Well done!

And packing them out is a reward in and of itself.

Congrats on a nice buck. What brand of ammo and bullets were you using?

Very beautiful deer. Congratulations!! We only have a 3 day hunt coming up after Christmas is all that’s left of season here but I’m hoping to get out in the woods Saturday and bag one more this season...that’s how much of my hunting is here as well...long walks in and packing them out. It’s a completely different style of hunting...I have even taken my tent out and set up camp on a ridge clearing before hunting an area of public forest land...not many hunters back in those spots deep in and when the pressure gets on the deer that’s where we find the bucks to be. Great job!!

Great honest looking deer. Just a great accomplishment that you can relive whenever you glance at those racks. Sincerest congrats.

Congrats on a nice buck. What brand of ammo and bullets were you using?
The first shot was a Double Tap load with 300 grain TTSX. the second was a Hornady 400 grain DGX Bonded. Both knocked him down hard.

Very beautiful deer. Congratulations!! We only have a 3 day hunt coming up after Christmas is all that’s left of season here but I’m hoping to get out in the woods Saturday and bag one more this season...that’s how much of my hunting is here as well...long walks in and packing them out. It’s a completely different style of hunting...I have even taken my tent out and set up camp on a ridge clearing before hunting an area of public forest land...not many hunters back in those spots deep in and when the pressure gets on the deer that’s where we find the bucks to be. Great job!!
This is in Arkansas?

I know that 225 pounds would be a small deer for you.

Great buck John!

Very nice buck, congrats !

Nice buck!

Congrats!! Nothing beats a tough public land hunt when you succeed. Well done!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg