John Camp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Mexico, Georgia, California, Missouri, Tennessee, Iowa, Idaho
It took 7 days of hard hunting in the Appalachian Mountains of North Georgia, but I got my 2nd Mountain Buck. t took my first last December. This is the most challenging hunting I know. It is both physically and intellectually exhausting. This is the biggest deer I have ever seen in Georgia. He was certainly better than 225 and in the Eastern Mountains that is an absolute monster. He is also my first pack out. It took me 5.5 hours and three trips to butcher him and pack him the 1.5 miles up the ridge to the truck. He Green Scores 130.5 inches.

deer4.jpg
deer3.jpg
deer2.jpg
deert.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
Congrats...that's 2 awesome bucks in as many years! And both had really long main beams too. Is that common in that area? Not using the Tikka this year I see. Lol. That Ruger looks pretty stout!

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Very nice buck for your area. Especially a public land buck. Congrats
Bruce

John Camp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Congrats...that's 2 awesome bucks in as many years! And both had really long main beams too. Is that common in that area? Not using the Tikka this year I see. Lol. That Ruger looks pretty stout!
Thanks. I think the genetics are strong for main beams where I am hunting. Both deer got similar comments from locals. This is a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .416. I take it when dealing with fog or rain. I use the open sights until I am set up and the weather clears and then pop on my scope. I have Alaska Arms scope rings and they have proven to be reliable. This was the Ruger's first deer. It spun the big buck in a circle and knocked him on the ground. He got up and ran towards me and to my left. I hit him again with a 400 gr and he looked like a cottontail hit with a 12 gauge. He tried to get up again but I grabbed one antler and stepped on the other. He was gone in seconds.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Well done!

And packing them out is a reward in and of itself.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Congrats on a nice buck. What brand of ammo and bullets were you using?

Whacker

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
21 Brotherhood PSMC
Hunted
United States
Very beautiful deer. Congratulations!! We only have a 3 day hunt coming up after Christmas is all that’s left of season here but I’m hoping to get out in the woods Saturday and bag one more this season...that’s how much of my hunting is here as well...long walks in and packing them out. It’s a completely different style of hunting...I have even taken my tent out and set up camp on a ridge clearing before hunting an area of public forest land...not many hunters back in those spots deep in and when the pressure gets on the deer that’s where we find the bucks to be. Great job!!

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Great honest looking deer. Just a great accomplishment that you can relive whenever you glance at those racks. Sincerest congrats.

John Camp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Congrats on a nice buck. What brand of ammo and bullets were you using?
The first shot was a Double Tap load with 300 grain TTSX. the second was a Hornady 400 grain DGX Bonded. Both knocked him down hard.

John Camp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Very beautiful deer. Congratulations!! We only have a 3 day hunt coming up after Christmas is all that’s left of season here but I’m hoping to get out in the woods Saturday and bag one more this season...that’s how much of my hunting is here as well...long walks in and packing them out. It’s a completely different style of hunting...I have even taken my tent out and set up camp on a ridge clearing before hunting an area of public forest land...not many hunters back in those spots deep in and when the pressure gets on the deer that’s where we find the bucks to be. Great job!!
This is in Arkansas?

John Camp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
I know that 225 pounds would be a small deer for you.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Great buck John!

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Very nice buck, congrats !

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
Congrats!! Nothing beats a tough public land hunt when you succeed. Well done!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaudioLin

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?