USA: Free Range Wyoming Cow Bison

Greenhead_Slayer

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I’ve always applied for a bull bison tag in Wyoming around the Jackson Hole area. As a non-resident, odds are dismal, at best, and with as expensive as the NR tag is, it almost makes more sense to go buy a reservation or Ted Turner ranch hunt. Free-range bison has been on the top of my bucket list for a while. Fed up with the low odds I applied for a cow tag this year and drew!

If you draw a bull tag you can hunt National Forest land and realistically harvest there, but the cows very rarely venture onto the National Forest, limiting a realistic chance of harvest to the National Elk Refuge. It is just as the name indicates, a national refuge, and has some unique regulations and requirements, but nothing that some basic planning can't account for. This unit is totally a migration hunt, which hits a little different when there are 7 days til the end of the season and a cow hasn’t stepped foot on the refuge yet, which is exactly what happened this year. Kind of a weird feeling knowing that you really don't have many other options other than a herd crossing onto the refuge. It really limits your options, and the low harvest rates for the cows the last few years are probably a good indicator of why your odds of drawing a cow tag are pretty decent. On a Saturday night, I finally got word a large herd had crossed the boundary into the refuge. Roughly 30 cows had been taken the next morning. I made the 4-hour drive up that afternoon to hunt Monday morning and found a small herd of yearlings. We got within a couple of hundred yards and looked them over and decided to look around to see if we could see any bigger cows. 2 other hunters harvested out of that herd. After about 6 miles on the horses we hadn’t seen another Buffalo, and the -10 windchill was less than enjoyable, so we backtracked and found the herd of yearlings. We got within 100 yards and noticed one that had some frozen blood on her, with what looked like should have been a fatal shot, but she wasn’t showing any signs of being wounded. We decided to take her, although she was fairly smaller than some of the others. I shot her twice with a 180-grain TTSX, but the first shot would have done it I think. We gutted her and called the retrieval outfitter to come to drag her about a mile to the truck. She still weighed 700 pounds after being gutted, which is absurd to me! The bison steaks have been exceptional table fare. Hopefully, a bull tag is still in the cards at some point.
IMG_2948 (1).jpg
IMG_2953.jpg
IMG_2955 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats awesome, congratulations! I have not drawn a tag even as a resident here in Wyoming but have buddies who have. The bull my buddy got a few years ago was the largest one taken that year.
Great hunt but as you stated, you are dependent on weather and the Bison moving out of the park and down to the refuge.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience. 180gr TTSX, I am assuming 30-06? Did the bullets exit?

300 Win Mag. The first bullet passed through and was a lung shot that didn't hit the shoulders, the second shot went through the front shoulder and was retrieved in the hide on the far side.

Congrats. Lots of good eating there. That cold weather is tough to take on an extended day.
Bruce

Nothing wrong with taking an animal that has been possibly wounded. Good on you.

Greenhead_Slayer, congrats on the meat. Your experience with this small Bison Cow should be reason enough to see why I recommended using a 200 Gr. bullet in Africa. Several years ago my oldest son was "forced" into taking a 300 Win. Mag. to Africa due to a mechanical issue with his preferred rifle. I asked a well respected PH what bullet he'd recommend for it. Without hesitation he said"200 Gr." My son purchased some Federal Premium TBBC and used it in Africa with no complaints.

@Greenhead_Slayer Just saw this 6 month old thread. I enjoyed your write up, and congratulate you on a hunt well done. FWIW.............this year, my 17th of applying, I received a Once-in-a-lifetime Bison tag in Utah. The hunt starts in 5 days.....but I am battling Covid, and will not be able to hunt. Diana, the Goddess of the Hunt, has not been kind to me the last two years. (perhaps I scorned or fondled her in a previous life) so I look on your cow hunt with envy. My tag was also for a cow, and I was going to pursue a calf for logistic reasons, (and that being more than enough meat.) Anyway...ya done good, and you got to hunt a wild bison. That's something. I may try for a ranch hunt one day..........FWB

Odd
I’ve always applied for a bull bison tag in Wyoming around the Jackson Hole area. As a non-resident, odds are dismal, at best, and with as expensive as the NR tag is, it almost makes more sense to go buy a reservation or Ted Turner ranch hunt. Free-range bison has been on the top of my bucket list for a while. Fed up with the low odds I applied for a cow tag this year and drew!

If you draw a bull tag you can hunt National Forest land and realistically harvest there, but the cows very rarely venture onto the National Forest, limiting a realistic chance of harvest to the National Elk Refuge. It is just as the name indicates, a national refuge, and has some unique regulations and requirements, but nothing that some basic planning can't account for. This unit is totally a migration hunt, which hits a little different when there are 7 days til the end of the season and a cow hasn’t stepped foot on the refuge yet, which is exactly what happened this year. Kind of a weird feeling knowing that you really don't have many other options other than a herd crossing onto the refuge. It really limits your options, and the low harvest rates for the cows the last few years are probably a good indicator of why your odds of drawing a cow tag are pretty decent. On a Saturday night, I finally got word a large herd had crossed the boundary into the refuge. Roughly 30 cows had been taken the next morning. I made the 4-hour drive up that afternoon to hunt Monday morning and found a small herd of yearlings. We got within a couple of hundred yards and looked them over and decided to look around to see if we could see any bigger cows. 2 other hunters harvested out of that herd. After about 6 miles on the horses we hadn’t seen another Buffalo, and the -10 windchill was less than enjoyable, so we backtracked and found the herd of yearlings. We got within 100 yards and noticed one that had some frozen blood on her, with what looked like should have been a fatal shot, but she wasn’t showing any signs of being wounded. We decided to take her, although she was fairly smaller than some of the others. I shot her twice with a 180-grain TTSX, but the first shot would have done it I think. We gutted her and called the retrieval outfitter to come to drag her about a mile to the truck. She still weighed 700 pounds after being gutted, which is absurd to me! The bison steaks have been exceptional table fare. Hopefully, a bull tag is still in the cards at some point.View attachment 458633View attachment 458634View attachment 458635
Odds were dismal, they were exceptional until WY changed the rules this year. regardless congrats thats awesome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you