Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Just returned from a fabulous four-day hunt for aoudad in the Davis Mountains of West Texas. My outfitter was Hunter Ross who owns Hunter Ross Desert Safaris. These are free range sheep which occupy the 4 - 6k ft altitude band of the Big Bend country. Released some fifty-years ago, these Barbary Sheep probably decided they had arrived in heaven and have multiplied accordingly! I was there at the worst time to hunt a ram. Though we saw 50-75 sheep daily, the mature rams were in secluded bachelor herds. We finally connected on a fine 29 inch ram the afternoon of the third day.

This is a challenging hunt. We covered lots of territory over three low fence ranches totaling 170 thousand acres. Accommodations were great, and the terrain alone was worth the visit.

DSC_1677.JPG
DSC_1674.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet.....

I was talking about this hunt with a guy the other day, or Texas Auodad. I'd like to do this sometime for sure. And I've never actually been to the Davis Mountains, even as a Texan....

Can't see the picture though? Is it just me?

I read that sheep hunting is addictive! Sounds like you had a great time. I can't see the photo either btw

I am trying to post from my forum photos. Probably doing something wrong. You can go to those. These guys are like a Volkswagen with horns.

Congrats! I agree, these are some of if not the toughest animals I ever hunted!

Looks like their kind of country.

Congratulations on a fine ram.

On my short list for sure, thanks for posting.

Congratulations Red Leg. Looks like you got a great ram.(y)

Man that is a good looking Ram! Congrats sir!

Red Leg.................very nice Aoudad............................love the country in the background. Was this booked as a four day hunt and if so did you hunt the entire time? Looking at hunts... and many are 3 days, so just wondering if you added another day. A lot of these W Texas Aoudad hunts want you to shoot the first day of your hunt so they can send you home early. I would like to hunt a little longer than one day, and look a little more.......4 or 5 days sounds great.......you done good.............................FWB

This was booked as a four-day hunt. Guide and Hunter Ross worked their butts off with the goal of getting me a good ram. We saw a representative but immature 27-28 inch ram late on the second day, and my guide wouldn't let me consider taking him. Switched camps at the end of the second day because we were seeing a lot of ewes but no mature rams (function of the time of year not actual scarcity). This necessitated Hunter keeping open a camp which he had planned to close when his client shot his ram (Craig Boddington - we passed on the ranch entrance road). These were folks whose only motivation was to get their client the best possible sheep. I'll go back.

Doesn't look like there is much cover. How close were you able to get? Are these normally long shots?

The laser had 209, before the group broke and started over the hill - so say 225 at the shot and about a 20 degree uphill angle. I would be prepared for a 300 yard shot. It is ideal spot and stalk country. We saw groups out to a thousand yards, but there was plenty of geographic relief to enable a stalk.

I hunted free range auodad on a ranch by Post Texas. For the money best sheep hunt there is.

Looks like you had a great hunt, and not far down the road from you either! What is that? Around 500 miles from Austin.

RL............that definitely sounds like my kind of guide and outfitter..........thanks for sharing...................FWB

Looks like you had a great hunt, and not far down the road from you either! What is that? Around 500 miles from Austin.

505 from my front door. And a fast 500 - most of the way the speed limit is 80, and there is little traffic beyond San Antonio.

Great sheep red leg, be careful, they are addictive. I'm Pacing around the house for the next month before heading back to Texas for another aoudad hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veronica

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!