Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, and now Tajikistan
Day 1
IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

Well, that is my truck leaving for Vancouver Island and I am the one taking the picture. No they did not come back to get me.

“That's my truck. Its going on a bear hunt and I am not in it” This could be the basis of a country music song.

So who is driving the truck?

IMG_2582.jpg

No, its not Thelma and Louise. That’s Princess Bride in the driver seat and her good friend Jennifer. They are driving to Vancouver. As connectivity allows, I will receive reports from time to time. I will then translate those reports from silly little giggle girl talk and send them off to you.

So, what am I doing? Well, I am picking peaches and canning them.

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

Stay tuned:).

On a good note I have not received a phone call from the sheriffs department since I started writing this report. I believe they at least got out of town with out being arrested.:sneaky:

I'm interested to see where this goes...

Good on them. They should enjoy the adventure immensely.

Ok who is hunting bear and are you baiting with peaches?

@rinehart0050 , you interested.....I am horrified....sounds like a good story emerging...

J, Hope the wife has a great bear hunt. Look forward to reading about it.

You need to bring some of those peaches to DSC!

Best of luck @kfet87 and to your truck!
Cody

Ok, here is the update I have just received. They have made it to Ft. Collins CO. Checking the national news I don't see any reports about massive police chases going north on I 25(y)

@Jfet just out of interset how far is it and how long will this drive take? and your very trusting with your truck........:E Big Grin:

It's a longggggggggggggggggggggg way like 2500 miles. Even by Texas standards that's a "fer" piece:P Cowboy:

J, Hope the wife has a great bear hunt. Look forward to reading about it.

You need to bring some of those peaches to DSC!

Not sure I am going to win any prizes at the state fair, but according to my grandmother if you add enough sugar it should taste good.(y)

Day 2

So while we are waiting on Thelma and …. I mean PB and Jennifer to check in with updates from their trip let me share some of my trophies from this year. I share these to lift your hearts because many times in the arena of public ideas it feels as if we are losing the battle for sustainable conservation. Many of ya’ll know that I teach an Outdoor Adventure Class in a high school in Texas. This class uses a curriculum developed by the Dallas Safari Club. Since the DSC under the leadership of Director of Education Scot McClure has taken on this program it has become the one of the fastest growing courses in public education in Texas. There are several 1000 kids in Texas every year that are getting to participate in this class.

1. Class Participation: There were 90 kids that took this class at my school. This is 25% of the school population. The principal approached me last week about looking at expanding the program.

2. Hunter Safety: This 20 day part of the course included instruction on gun safety, hunting safety, meaning of the 2nd amendment, and sustainable conservation. 45 students received their Texas Hunter Ed Safety Certification. No, the other 45 did not fail. Many of these kids already had their certification. Several, unfortunately, could not afford the $15 fee. There are people in my town that are working on getting that solved for next year.

3. Archery: Many of the girls took this class just so they could handle a bow like Catniss Everdine

IMG_2290.jpg

Some of the students are very experienced archers. The National Archery in Schools Program puts an emphasis on shooting technique and not equipment. These kids can now transfer the basic technique to area of archery.
IMG_2271.jpg

There were even some very good shots made.

IMG_2265.jpg

We spent time building blinds. See if you can find the three teenagers in this picture.

IMG_2415.jpg

We talked about camping

IMG_2014.jpg

and learned that three man tents are not designed for three normal people

IMG_2016.jpg

We cooked. You would be surprised how many of these kids had never cooked before.

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

Sometimes when you see us taking a beating in social media. Remember this is where we are engaging in the arena ideas. At least 10 of these students will vote next fall. All will eventually vote. This is one of the cornerstones of DSC and it is very successful.

A big Thank You needs to go out to ya'll the AH community. You provided a valuable resource for this class. Gizmo when I read your lion story to each class it was amazing to see every teenager locked in on the story. Spiket, your story was told and it opened quite a few eyes for the importance of what you do for the survivability of wildlife in Africa. Of course the reports and conversations on AH went a long way to helping me stay sane. (y)

Progress is being made. Keep hunting, keep fishing, keep going outdoors.

No, I have not gotten a recent report on PB and I am really sick of peaches right now.:A Bonk:

“Put me in coach I am ready to play…”

I am being called up out of the peach leagues. I get to go to the big league. That just goes to show if you work hard, train hard, and most importantly don’t make PB mad you can get a chance to live out your dreams. I am going to Vancouver!

thumb_IMG_2606_1024.jpg

Actually, I always knew I was going to get to go. PB has wanted a bear rug to go with her zebra rug. The challenge for the bear rug has been to find a bear season in North America that fit into the schedules of school teachers and Texas high school football coaches. We had hoped to schedule a hunt at the DSC Convention but it seemed that everyone we talked to either ended their spring hunts to early in May or started their fall hunts to late in August to fit into our summer break. Shortly after DSC Convention I was on Jim Shockey’s web site looking at purchasing some of his videos to use in the Outdoor Adventure class. I clicked on the section about bear hunts in Vancouver and quickly noted that their last week of hunts lined up properly with our first week of summer break. I let out a loud WHOOP ran into the bedroom, rolled PB out of bed, expertly ducked, and showed her the dates. She put down her pet throwing rock, pulled out the checkbook and booked the hunt.

Then we started looking at the details. PB was going to be out of school four days before the hunt started. I was not going to be done until the day before the hunt started. That is when the bad habits and vices I have picked up at AH kicked in. I proposed the Brickburn Doctrine. Let’s just not spend five days hunting in Canada. Let’s spend the whole month sight seeing and fishing as well. We decided that PB would drive up and meet me at the Vancouver airport. We would do the hunt, travel east across British Columbia and then turn south somewhere around Alberta. I just realized that it may take another month just to get out of Montana and Wyoming.:sneaky:

Yes, there are adventuresome people in the world. Jennifer is very much one of those people. PB called her, explained our travel plans, and then asked her if she would like to drive four days to Vancouver. I don’t think PB had finished with a full explanation before Jennifer had said yes. I am not sure that the full story of that epic trip will ever be told. If it is then it will be a best seller and even replace The Illiad and The Odyssy in high school freshmen English classes.:D

We get to start hunting tomorrow. I am very much looking forward to dragging PB's bear out of the woods.:A Banana:

Glad I am a bad influence. :)
Enjoy the ferry ride across to the Island.

Let me know if you decide to hit Alberta.

@Jfet, like some guys I know in SA, you "made a plan" :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,