USA: British Columbia That’s My Truck Going On A Bear Hunt

Awesome ... Just fly in for the show We call that the Rock Star program

Dam fine plan, the method to your madness is now evident
Great job that you do with the kids, if the deciding factor between a kid getting to take hunter safety or not is $15 bucks, please Reach out! I can't think of a better way to spend $15, I could give up a scotch and water at the airport and cover that. Wait I'm lying to myself now, I'm not shorting my liver that way, but I could damn sure find 15 bucks to help out the yutes! Investment in That kind of education will pay dividends for all of us!
Good luck on Oso Negra,
Cody

You got your spouse to deliver your hunting gear? That is truly awesome!
:E Eek: :S Kneel:

First Day Of Hunting

We were sitting on a logging road at the bottom of a hill just after lunch watching bushes shake. PB and I were sitting on the tailgate of the truck and Mike, our guide, was using the spotting scope. As we were trying to determine exactly what was shaking the bushes we heard Mike softly exclaim, “That’s a BIG bear!!!”

PB had picked me up mid-day at the Vancouver airport. We left the truck parked at the airport and took the train into the waterfront area and had lunch at the Cactus Club restaurant. Evidently, this restaurant is an up scaled version of Hooters. I am told that the harbor in Vancouver is very beautifully nestled into the mountains that rise from the sea. Maybe the next time I am in Vancouver I will notice.

That evening we drove the truck to the BCferry center and boarded the ferry to the town of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island where we planed to spend the night. The views as we traveled up Queen Charlotte Strait were exquisite. The BC ferry system has great potential for future expeditions for Team Fet into BC.

thumb_IMG_2627_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_2630_1024.jpg

The next day we traveled north to Port Hardy where we met up with Mike Schroeder of Pacific Rim Outfitters. We followed Mike down roads that took us through woods that could have had a cameo role in Jurassic Park to the little fishing village of Winter Harbor. This little town is located on the Pacific Ocean.

…“That’s a big bear!!! No wait that’s two bears. Oh my, I have never seen two bears mating in the wild before,” said Mike.

PB asked, “Does that mean the male bear is on top?” At that moment there was no seriousness left in this hunt. Twenty-five minutes later and many immature comments from PB the bears completed their duties and went on their way. At that time, it was clear that the boar was much the same size as the sow. Time to go look else where.

IMG_2656.jpg

thumb_IMG_2718_1024.jpg

That day we saw seventeen bears and possible two zygotes formed. We traveled the logging roads and sometimes, we caught bears walking the roads feeding on salmon berries. Other times we drove to the top of a hill overlooking a logged area. We would then spot bears below us walking through the cut areas or sunning themselves on top of large stumps. We hunted from 9am to 10pm.

As the sun set that day, I was reminded of my hartebeest hunt two years ago in Namibia. That hunt went to the very last minute of shooting light and since that time the memory of that hunt helps fight off thoughts of warm dry clothes, good food, and pleasant company. So with renewed focus I leaned forward to PB in the front seat and whispered hartebeest. She nodded her head with a smile back at me. Shortly afterwards, we came around a curve and could see a bear’s head through the brush walking down a road that forked off to the right of our road. Mike brought the truck to a stop and we got out. PB put a round in the chamber and gave me the 375 to carry for her.

Where we had stopped the truck, we were elevated enough to see over the salmon berry bushes to barely see the bears head and back as it fed down the road. The bear’s road was little used by vehicles and thus overgrown with alders except in the small opening that this bear was located. Mike believed that this was a sow, but this was the rut! The boar could very well be following but would be concealed by the alders further down the road. Light was fading fast. We walked in single file down the left side of the road trying to create an angle to see down the the bears’ road. We quickly dropped in elevation and the bear disappeared from view. At this moment we were walking down a tunnel. One could see down our road for a hundred yards. We could see where the road that contained the bears intersected our road but we did not have a clear view down it. We had to close the distance.

At this moment I realized we were not hunting red hartebeest in the fading light of the wide open grasslands of Namibia. We were hunting a bear in which the only hope we had to see him was to move within twenty-five yards of where we thought the bear might appear. We were hunting in an area that may very well contain the greatest concentration of black bears in the world. We had already seen sixteen bears that day. The question arose in my mind much like the mountain side to my left, “What was behind us?” Every fourth step I turned and walked backwards for two steps just to check. I am sure I made a sight. Hips back, knees bent, nose over toes. I was not going to fall backwards but I was going to check behind me.

We had gotten close enough to the intersection of the road so that we could just see down it a few yards. We got as far left on our road that we could go and set up an ambush point in the ditch. Mike set up the sticks. I handed PB the rifle and we all knelt down to make ourselves look like just another rock that had rolled off the cliff. The intersection of the two roads was higher than our location. Just as we got settled there was still enough light to see a pair of furry ears start to appear on the road. The ears were followed by a forehead, eyes, muzzle, and then the whole bear stood there looking at us. At that moment the bear was wondering why two thirds of the rock just across the street was breathing like Darth Vader. Mike whispered, “It’s the sow.” PB and I both started to shift positions to relive pressure on very uncomfortable knees. When Mike said, “Wait, the boar…”

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

This thread title has the makings for a country song.

On a another note, best of luck to all on this hunt! Looking forward to hearing more about it.

The boar never appeared and the first day ended with much satisfaction and and great anticipation for tomorrow. So with darkness upon us we headed back to camp.

Camp is at Winter Harbor Cottages located in the small fishing village of Winter Harbor. It is a series of cottages that are very snug and comfortable that over look Sea Otter Cove. Sea Otters were quiet visible from the deck of our cottage. Camp is orchestrated by Miss Kathy. She is a wonderful cook and does a correct amount of mothering of the bear hunters. Just enough to make sure you have picked up your lunch and gentle reminder to pack your raingear. She will also crack a whip on the guides and make them mind their manners if necessary. :)

Ted is a retired guide that now butchers the bears and takes care of logistics at camp so the guides can spend all day in the woods. Ted is also a man that has had many years living and hunting on Vancouver Island. He is a man worth listening too.(y)

Miss Kathy in the command center of camp

IMG_3047 2.JPG

Mr. Ted taking care of the little things that add up to the big things

IMG_2041.JPG

Evidently Pacific Rim Outfitters has had to scramble with their accommodations this year. The camp that they have used for many years decided that lodging bear hunters did not fit their business plan. Talking with Mike, Winter Harbor Cottages is the second base camp they have used this spring. The first was camp was where we met Mike in Port Hardy. The cabins at this camp were new and had a very polished look. The view though was of a dirt road and a wall of trees. It was not the best landscape of Vancouver Island. They used these facilities while hunting the southern and eastern part of their concession early in the spring. Half way through the season they moved to our location in order to hunt the northern part of the concession. The views here are magnificent!!!

FullSizeRender.jpg

2nd Day of Hunting

Breakfast is at 8am. Bear hunting is civilized.(y) One of my age finds himself humming the “Look for the bear necessities of life” while choosing between omelets, eggs benedict, ham, bacon, and French toast. Why Miss Kathy put that little container of granola cereal over in the corner I will never know.

After noticing the stare :mad: coming from PB I backed away from the table and went and got our backpacks and her rifle. PB had originally planned to use her 7mm 08 on this trip. However, after discussing rifle choses with Mike she opted to use the 375 H&H. Our first morning she fired this rifle at a target for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time since we owned it. All three shots fit inside of a 4inch plate and the last two were overlapping. All three shots were taken off of sticks. After checking the target, PB broke into a large smile and told me that she liked shooting this gun. That was not her response after the first time she shot the gun at home. If PB played football for me, she would start. However, I would never watch her at practice. Her technique would be awful. In a game, though, she would make plays all over the field. She is a player not a practicer. (new word) Please note she did not like carrying the rifle in her words, “It is too heavvvvvy.”

We started the day back in the truck driving the logging roads. There will be signs on the sides of the road stating when a certain part of the forest had been replanted. This morning we were going through a forest that had been planted in 1958. These were big trees but even then when compared to the some of the stumps I had seen they were not anywhere near the size of the old growth trees.

On this road we were following very fresh tracks and scat. We came to the point in the road where it had been washed out by floods. We dismounted, scrambled across the washout and started following the bear down the road. The forest is so thick even the bears choose to travel the roads. We walked for half a mile till we came to another washout. This was a much steeper climb so Mike asked us to wait as he reconnoitered the road on the other side. Mike crossed the stream and started walking down the road and soon disappeared around a curve. PB and I spent the time marveling at this temperate rainforest we found ourselves in. On the right side of the road the ground sloped sharply upwards and this area had been logged in the past decade. The left side of the road dropped quickly into a creek bottom. The trees along the creek had not been cut and so this created an edge of clearing of 20 yards between the road and trees. There was a large log laying on the ground at this edge. The sun was just climbing over the mountain to our right and had spotlighted the log. I looked down the road and saw Mike returning. I looked left and that log had changed. It had a bear on it. The bear had seen Mike and needed a better view so it climbed up on the log. He sat there on his haunches watching Mike walk by with benign curiosity. Once he was satisfied the bear casually ambled down the log and dropped off into the bush below. By this time in the hunt PB and I knew that this bear was the same size as the ones we had seen yesterday. We could not tell you whether it was a boar or sow, though. Mike never saw the bear until he got back to us and then only briefly before it disappeared. A great start to the day.

Vancouver Island is a temperate rainforest. The sunshine that had spot lighted that bear was the last sunshine we saw that day. It started to rain. Now for us Texans rain is not a big deal after the last 16 months. Texas itself maybe turning into a rainforest. We spent the rest of the morning driving to overlooks. We would glass. We would clean rainwater from our optics. We would glass. We would clean rainwater from our optics. Note, bring many dry rags to clean your optics.

Lunch was taken on top of a mountain overlooking roads that traveled through several cut areas. The idea was to spot the bears across the valley and then drive to the base of the hill and walk up the road to the bear. This could get interesting when some of the roads looked like this.

IMG_2840.PNG

After lunch Mike took us to his next overlook position. Mike has been hunting this area for many years. Mike is 31 years old. He looks 16 but he knows his hunting area and he knows where big bears are located. The question is will they be visible. We came to the next overlook. Mike jumped out of the truck climbed a brush pile and started glassing. By the time I could get out he was already heading back to the truck for the spotting scope. “We are in luck the big bear is out!!!” he said. I climbed up the brush pile and immediately my glasses and binoculars became rain soaked. Mike was looking through the spotting scope and said, “Yep, that’s the big bear we have been looking for the past two years.” By this time PB was up with her glasses but all she could see was raindrops. I looked in the spotting scope and amongst the raindrops I finally saw a large black blob. Even to this amateur it was obvious that we needed to go after this bear.

We piled back into the truck and Mike began to race down the mountain. Ok, the Dodge truck we were in could corner really well. It was better than a roller coaster. As we moved down the hill Mike began to tell us the history of this bear. For the last two years they had seen the sign of a very large bear in this drainage. This sign was such that every time Jim Shockey had come to hunt this area he would spend several hours glassing from where we had seen the bear. This was the first time anyone had seen the bear. Mike was excited!

We got to the bottom of the hill and then drove across the drainage to the road that went up the hill that the bear was on. Mike had also told us that he had briefly seen a sow with the boar. The rut was on! When the road started going up hill we stopped, got our gear ready and started walking. We immediately starting walking through an alder grown road where visibility was zero. We were deep into this cover when it dawned on me that there was a bear in here and possible two. Pulse rate went up. Adrenaline started pumping. All of a sudden I could hear the bees buzzing in the flowers near me. I could smell the wet alders we were walking through. None of these sensations I had noticed in the last two days but now I could. Again I was third in line and carrying PB’s rifle. I could tell the road curved to our right. Mike was ahead of me enough to see around the curve but I could not. He came to an immediate halt and turned to us. Just his eyes told me to push the rifle to PB. As she grabbed it I was able to take a cloth and wipe the lenses of the scope. Mike had the sticks set up. PB had the rifle up on the sticks and I was able to step up closer to see down the road just in time to see a very large bear 30 yards from us turn broadside. The bear was standing just at the point where the alders cleared. So we could see it but it could not see us. I had the sense that the sow had just stepped off the road to our right and was heading up hill.

Mike whispered, “Shoot.”

BOOM! was the response.

The bear hunched and jumped straight up. He wheeled and headed left and down into the gully. Mike raced forward to where the bear left the road. The cover is so tight on these roads that a follow up shot on the road is not possible. Mike had told us that he would do this and not to reload until he had called us up. Mike waved us forward. PB reloaded and I grabbed the sticks. We came around a brush pile and looked down into the gulley and could see the bear starting to work up the other side. Mike set the sticks and PB gave two follow up shots. Mike then added his rifle and the bear was down on the opposite slope of the gulley. PB’s shots had been solid and Mike’s shots had brought a quick end to a very strong bear. It was proper team work between hunter and guide.

I fumbled the camera on the first shot but I got these on the follow up shots.

IMG_2824.PNG

IMG_2826.PNG

Princess Bride and her Hairy Bear.

IMG_9655.JPG

These bears are amazing animals

Great bear, you got to like when the ears are on the side. Big Bear

Tell kfet congratulations on a great looking bear.

How much do gun bearers get tipped on Vancouver Island?

This gun bearer got to buy the gun, have a cool truck, got 3 Father's Day presents already (and we are still a week away) but I think the grin on the shooters face was all he really needed! ....more soon from the girl's perspective!:A Banana:

That one pic is awesome! That's a great bear, no wonder you were pumped up!!!!

Congrats, great hunt !

Congrats on a great looking bear!

Great hunt so far...keep it coming...

On the outdoor class that you teach....OUTSTANDING! That is something I would like to discuss with you when you get back home.

You may want to look at the MidwayUSA Foundation (http://www.midwayusafoundation.org/) to help out with the cost for the Hunters Ed. Their purpose is: "To expand, enhance, and perpetuate youth shooting sports activities to help young people improve their confidence, discipline, and leadership skills through shooting sports education."

I am one of the Coaches for our local Scholastic Action Shooting Program and the Scholastic Clay Target Program. Both of the programs receives grants from "Uncle Larry" each year to help defray the costs of the programs. He does a lot for the kids. I normally do not push things like this, but this one is very important to me, because he puts his money in the pot each year to help all of us as hunters, fishers, outdoors people and to attempt to keep the youth involved (our future!). This is one of the reasons I will always shop at MidwayUSA first, before going anywhere else.

Also, for anyone who shops an Amazon (I am assuming a lot), instead of using the regular Amazon.com, if you use Smile.Amazon.com (https://smile.amazon.com/) you can select different organizations that will receive 5% of you purchase to help out your designated organization (I think that is the number)...mine is the Midway Foundation, but there are many other pro-hunting and pro-outdoor organizations that you can choose from to include SCI, Ducks Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and many others.....

Enough of the soap box, NICE Bear! Hopefully you will also be able to get one while you are there.

Damn good bear. Congratulations.
Nothing like jungle hunting on the Island!

Damn good bear. Congratulations.
Nothing like jungle hunting on the Island!

Jungle hunting! Your not kidding. The adventure really started with the recovery. When I get my Lap top and wifi together I'll post that part of the story :E Eek:

Congrats on a wonderful hunt.

Great job on the bear, he's a beut! Now do you get a turn?

Great post...and congrats to your wife on an outstanding bear! Thanks for writing it up! Enjoy the rest of your time here in Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you