USA: British Columbia His Truck & My Bear (PB's Version)

kfet87

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, Team Fet, TAHPERD
Hunted
NA, British Columbia, TX
From a girl’s perspective!

I GOT A BEAR!!!!!! The adrenaline had settled and I was exhausted. This gal had to have a few days R&R before I could even see straight, much the less write in a coherent manner…you see I’m an elementary PE teacher which means Field Day, my biggest event of the year, was May 27. Then- we still had the last week of school! My kids finished at 3 pm on June 3 and when I got home, my friend Jennifer was waiting! After a quick dinner and sleep, it was time to hit the road! Fortunately, she is more like me than Coach, so we did not have to leave until 8 am!! The next few days were full of hard driving and lots of catching up, laughing, talking about our boys and solving several of the world’s problems. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a friend you can call and say “want to drive hard for 2300 miles in 3.5 days so I can put you on a plane to fly home just as I start a crazy adventure?” Those days on the road were reminiscent of days before driving with my family and then road trips with my own boys. My Dad taught me how to drive and then to love it—and all the things you see, learn and experience on the way.

For me this adventure really started 2 years ago. We had just returned from Africa and the realization that my boys were young men now and were going to have lives of their own that didn’t need Mom on a daily basis had hit hard. We truly laugh and have so much fun together—I missed that then and still do, but am so proud of who they are and how they are impacting their own worlds. So John asked me what dreams I had…what did I want to do for me….not other folks. I had to think long and hard- it had been awhile since I had looked at the future. I said “I want a bear.” In reality, I wanted my bear from Alaska as I spend some time there and wanted to hunt with my native friend and make it a true Inupiq experience, but when reality showed that wasn’t going to happen, Coach was on a mission. Fast forward 2 years ---

A trophy is great, but to me, the hunt and experience are all a part of it! We pulled into the meeting spot and met Ted and Ryan, two guys from Pacific Rim Outfitters. Waiting for additional hunters, we started to get to know one another sitting on tailgates. Camp had been moved so we all headed 2 hours on dirt roads and arrived in Winter Harbour on the northwest end of Vancouver Island. During a wonderful dinner, we met our guide Mike Schroeder and I learned that bear hunting was civilized and we didn’t do breakfast until 8 and started out at 9!!!

The sun came up, we ate then packed our lunches and we were off! The first stop was to check out my rifle…well, not really. We were checking out the back up .375. You see, I was planning on shooting my 7mm.08 with hand crafted 150 grain bullets which I had used in Africa to take some big animals. In discussions with Mike, the night before, I could read him well enough to know it certainly was not his preference of the 2 guns we brought. I told him that I respected his opinion and if my practice shots with the .375 were ok, I would defer to his professional opinion. So the 2nd, 3rd and 4th shots I had ever fired from that gun were in a tight pattern- Mike immediately popped off “those will kill a bear” so with confidence, I made a game time switch.

My home for the next 13 hours was the front seat of a white Dodge truck. We rambled through the forest, dodged logging trucks (I was fascinated how they radioed up and down the roads) stopped and glassed, walked dirt roads and saw bears- just none of them were shooters. 17 bears! My favorite was coming up on a mama and cub- I had so much fun watching the cub climb up and down and up the same tree- reminded me of little boys in the woods! For a girl who doesn’t sit still during the day, I was thankful the bears came at pretty frequent intervals to keep me awake and motivated. Being in the truck and driving dirt roads reminded me of so many hours riding the ranch with my Dad- I was smiling. During the day I caught myself laughing because over the course of 50 years, I finally learned to shut doors of trucks quietly and not sound like a herd of elephants walking down a road. Poor Mike had an earful as John said I NEVER shut up in the truck….. we finally decided to call it a day and head back to camp when Mike got all excited because he saw a sow head back into the berries along the road, We stopped and got out hoping she was traveling with a boar. Mike thought she would come back out and a road intersected right around the corner from where we stopped. The adrenaline was pumping as we set up on sticks- my first time on them from a kneeling position. We waited, waited, could see the top of her back and she walked right out into the road. It wasn’t the bear we were after but being 20 yards from this majestic creature was magical- a moment I will never forget. We waited a bit for a boar who never appeared and then packed it all up. A fabulous dinner was served at 11 pm by Kathy and Pam. We heard the tales of the other three hunters and I simply sat there thinking THIS WAS A VERY GOOD DAY.

For someone who is not a breakfast eater, I certainly changed my mind when I saw the spread Kathy had put out for day 2! It was made even better when a pitcher of iced tea- made just for me- showed up! I was already looking forward to lunch as I knew mine would include a prime rib sandwich left over from last night! We started out like the day before but in a new area. The morning went by slow- we’d only seen one bear up until right before noon. We had walked, glassed and driven roads- it has a nice rhythm, but like a little kid, I needed some reward. We ate lunch on a ridge while wearing out our binoculars- after not seeing anything, we all decided to grab a quick siesta. We hopped back in the truck and John looked at me with the “don’t you even begin to look bored with this” look and we began again. Mike said he wanted to go over to another hill- explaining this is where Jim Shockey had been watching a bear for a few years. We stopped and glassed- I got a little more excited when Mike grabbed the spotting scope. He told John he had seen 2 bears- one being a boar,,,, John found them in his binos and Mike confirmed with his scope. Before I ever saw them, I was told jump back in the truck. The next few minutes were pure glory for me driving fast through the woods---- I am amazed at the skill of the professional guide who knows his territory and movement of animals. Mike stopped the truck and told me we should meet the bears coming down this road. Gun and sticks ready, I was not bored anymore. Stalking quietly, Mike suddenly stopped and threw up sticks faster than ever. I looked back, grabbed the .375 from the cute gunbearer and threw him my jacket. Mike had seen the sow head into the bushes, but no more than 30 yds in front of me was a big boar. He had no clue we were there and Mike said SHOOT. I took a deep breath in, was thankful the bear had just turned broadside and let a round fly. It was a hit, but he spun and crossed the road and took off through some nasty brush down a ravine. It took everything I had not to chamber another round, but Mike had coached me previously to wait because if tis happened he would move in front of me to follow the bear. We moved quickly to an opening in the brush and reset sticks. As the bear climbed up the ravine at about 98 yds I shot 2 more rounds. Although my first shot would have been fatal, we didn’t need the bear to go much farther so Mike popped him. I put the final shot in the bear and there was no more movement. I broke into a big grin- I DID IT! I HAD MY BEAR! There were high fives, smiles and handshakes all around.

I know this bear could have died in lots worse places, and there was no way I was going to miss getting over there, being part of the next process and grabbing a few pics, but WOW! This girl has romped over, through and under things outdoors her whole life, but this was going to be a challenge. Throwing on our rain gear just to help stay dry, we started down the ravine. Mike was in front and John played guard behind me. Slipping on logs, having your foot go through stuff but not being able to touch the ground while in brambles up to your chest are just a few of the adventures going across. It wasn’t pretty, but I did it.

I had a big bear. It was that sacred moment when you realize the power, strength and presence and place these amazing creatures have in our world. We took pics—boys do not understand why you don’t want to wear certain pieces of clothing in the pics- they make you look fat! But, I did it anyway for the DSC logo- which never showed anyway! Sweat pouring down and no hairbrush—oh well! I insisted on helping skin my animal, just as I insist the meat be donated if I wont eat it…it’s about being ethical. Mike started back with meat and we simply started back. J About 2/3 the way back (Mr. Mountain goat guide had gone to the truck and back for rest of meat) Mike hollered for John to get to the truck and get our gun as he was watching the sow reenter the scene and was about 40 yds from us. (At that moment I though about just laying there and pretending I was a leaf because the thought of trying to go any faster through this stuff was not going to happen.) John and Mike were both in cover positions as I pulled myself up on my stomach over the last length of log. Once I got back safely, Mike ambled his way back quickly. Girls at 50 can get hot fast (thanks mother nature) and I was dying- stripping off every layer I had on. Fortunately, I had a pair of shorts packed in my backpack!

Once everyone was safe back at the truck, more high fives went around then we watched an amazing sight as the sow was chomping down the remainder of the boar. I reminded the guys that they should always remember girls can be mean!

It was a fun ride back to camp where a girl piled out of the truck…disheveled hair, shorts and her hunting boots, but I HAD A BEAR. Jim Shockey’s Pacific Rim Outfitters were nothing but first class professionals while also being great people. I left not only as a satisfied client, but as a girl who has new friends, experienced more of God’s beautiful creation, and lived a dream. Thanks Coach for making it possible—I think he is proud and didn’t mind being the gun bearer. And …. I think my Dad is too- as his girl whom he taught to love hunting and driving carries on. PS The reason you throw off your jacket right before you shoot is because it will make you look even more fat in the pics your husband is taking of you shooting. PPS Never explain that reasoning to a guy hunter unless you want THAT look that says “I can’t even begin to tell you how stupid that is and do you realize you could have missed a shot …in fact, NO WORDS!” When they do that you should just smile and kiss them. :E Dancing::E Dancing::E Dancing::E Dancing:

IMG_6187.JPG

IMG_6193.JPG

IMG_6223.JPG

IMG_6228.JPG

If you want to read the boy version with all the details you want and MUCH BETTER WRITING, check this out:
http://www.africahunting.com/thread...a-that’s-my-truck-going-on-a-bear-hunt.29514/

The smile in the last picture is my trophy(y)

Congrats again!!!

So happy for you!

Great hunt! Congrats on your bear!

Great job PB! What's next, a big rug on the floor or a full mount? By the way, I like your version. First person perspective is always better.

A big rug with a sleeping Baloo face! :)

Just love the picture with your bear, congrats !

Awesome bear!

Great adventure and beautiful bear!

Nice job, thanks for sharing!

Great job. That is a long drive, but you got the perfect reward. Well done. Bruce

Yep last picture says it all! Glad you had such a good hunt!

Congrats on a great bear!

(y)

Great job.

Good job!

Thanks for sharing your side of the tale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross