Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Virginia Bowhunters Association
Hello there my fellow hunters,

Due to the fact that my Ol' man has recently written a thread about this hunting journey that we were both fortunate to experience, I am going to try and not repeat what VD has already mentioned in his thread. But I do intend to include every detail of excitement that I experienced on this trip.

Also, this is my first report that I have written on an actual guided hunting trip with the exception of a couple college papers I wrote on hunting whitetails on the east coast.

This was also my first actual guided hunt that I have ever been on. And to say the least, I am quite pleased.

This was my first time travelling to Hawaii yet my family had been there before. So my insight on what to expect was mostly based off of what I had seen on television(Magnum P.I., HGTV, etc.) and what my wife had told me since she had spent a couple of years in Hawaii long before she had met me. I have to admit that Hawaii was pretty much what I had expected. Very tropical and full of tourists. Yet everyone was very friendly and there was plenty of exciting as well as relaxing things to do.

On to the hunting stuff!......

As my father mentioned in his thread I am all about hunting with archery tackle. Although not against it, I just have no interest in hunting with a firearm yet I still give two thumbs up to those who do.

The outfitter was Hawaii Safaris & Fisher Outfitters.

About my setup....

I brought "Slayer". Slayer is a Mathews Creed "Lost" Edition '13 model which is maxed out at 70 pounds with a 27.5" draw. Axcel AV31 dial sight capable of dialing from 20-100 yards. 10 inch Beestinger stabilizer,and a QAD drop away arrow rest. The arrows I brought are the Black Eagle "Spartans" fitted with VPA 2 bladed 200gr fixed broadheads for a total arrow weight of 582gr.

I had practiced with this setup for only a few weeks before the trip due to changing to such a heavier sutup from my previous whitetail setup. Although, I generally shoot year round. I felt comfortable taking shots out to 50 yards. My PH took the time to meet up with me a couple of days prior to the hunt to watch me fling a few arrows and make sure that everything was still dialed in after the rugged handling of luggage from the flight. Sure enough everything was still dialed in. Perhaps it pays to have a good rugged bow case.

So Dad and I ditched our ladies(as well as my brother)(ladies had a spa day) even though we love them to death and headed to the location where we would be hunting. Upon arrival we were met by both of our PH's who were by far two of the most welcoming and friendly people I had ever met. Dad got to check out the rifle provided and chosen by his PH. Might I add that the view from this farm house was phenomenal.

My PH sprayed me down with a scent cover spray and shortly there after had me hop aboard his side by side ATV while my Paps hopped into a pick up truck with his PH. It was brought to our attention just about a week before the hunt that we would have greater chances of success if we hunted separately. My father's hunt is of course described in his own thread.

As soon as we headed down the long path it was immediate action. We began to see piglets running along the sides of the road followed by a larger sow. We then shortly ended up on a hill where we glanced across a small valley with our binos in search of the large boars. Sure enough we had found a few running in and out of the treeline. They seemed very sporadic and would not hold still long enough to observe them in an attempt to determine if there were boar or sow in the group. With the decision being made to put a stalk on them, we traveled to the other side of the small valley(approx 600 yards) via ATV. We then hopped out and geared up. Hopping over the fence we were parked at, my PH took my bow so that I could climb over the gate empty handed as this reminded me of what such friendly people we were being guided by. After slowly stalking in to where we had seen the group of swine we noticed that the group had moved further out into the field. This left us with little to no cover to get within bow range with the exception of a single medium sized tree between us and the pigs. With this tree between us, my PH advised me to move in very slowly. Cutting the distance from 60 yards down to 30 yards, I got set up on in preparation to make a shot on the larger pig. And of course another one was looking at me and possibly had seen me move. Therefore this spot and stalk was ended by a lot of snorting running pigs before I had even drawn my bow back.

We drove around a bit more and certainly had seen plenty of swine. We chose this one particular field that had a large number of pigs in the open yet not far from the treeline. I believe my PH had chosen it due to the wind being in our favor as well as the downwind side of the field ended at the treeline only approximately 30-50 yards from where the pigs gathered. As we traveled slowly and quietly as possible down a trail inside the favored woodline, the trail was also downhill and was protected by a steep slope that gave us great cover from being spotted by any weary hog. Sure enough, as we slowly and cautiously crested the steep hill between us and my target there was so many wild hogs oinking and snorting around. At least 30 pigs in this group. My PH whispered to me, "That bigger one is the alpha male. See how he keeps fighting the other boars off?". I could feel my heart rate speeding up with excitement. "Forty five yards" my PH whispered to me after taking his eye from his range finder. I dialed my sight to 45 yards, took a couple deep breaths as I hooked up my release and went through my practiced series of events that are concluded with executing the shot. All seemed great and to my surprise the large wild boar held still long enough for my pin to rest just behind the wild boars shoulder as he stood facing to my left with a perfect complete broadside shot.........THWACK!! I could still see with plenty of daylight my nock and fletching moving into the swine just behind the shoulder yet to my disappointment just a bit high. The pig squealed(which added to the excitement) as it ran off with approx 30 more pigs. Watching the shot pig run across the field and then up onto a hillside, it began to walk as if nothing had happened. "Nice shot!" said my PH. We did a quick fist punch to one another as I replied "F**k yeah! That was intense brother!"

The pig disappeared as it wondered off into the tall grass on the hillside approximately 100 yards from where I shot him. We recovered the arrow. Good blood from head to nock. I then silently gave thanks to God for such an awesome opportunity. We then walked up the hillside just to find no sign of the pig. Not even a blood trail.

Darkness was setting in and my PH showed me a picture on his phone. It was my Ol man posing behind a nice looking boar while holding a rifle. "Yes!" I said to my PH. My PH then made a phone call and asked for help in locating our pig. To my surprise My father as well as his PH showed up and began to help in the search for my boar that shouldn't be far. With headlamps on and walking in slow circles and zigzags all through the tall grass on the hillside, I felt like I had found a gold coin in a hay stack. He lay there at my feet lifeless. Within seconds after the pig was found, my PH came walking over and stated "I could smell him". Both PH's grabbed a leg and hauled the approx 125 pound hog into the open for some pictures. Many congrats from my PH's. But most of all, a hefty and more than welcomed "congrats Homie" from my Dad followed by a handshake. I of course thanked God again silently as the hog was loaded onto the bed of the ATV. We all headed back to the farm house where they unloaded the pigs as my dad and I were greeted by their friendly dog.

We chatted with our guides for a bit and exchanged jokes and thanked our two guides. Dad and I were then each presented with a Hawaiian necklace of boar tusks. It was like icing on the cake. A friendly gesture as well as a souvenir to serve as a reminder of such an awesome time not only with my father but with some very outstanding people that not only left me impressed with their level of gratitude but to keep in touch with as friends as well.

It was brought to our attention that the boars do not taste as good as the sows so, it was decided that our boars would be donated. The head PH decided to give us some already processed meat from a sow as this would be much better meat.

So we couldn't shut up about our hunt together(at least I couldn't) during the drive back to my dad's duplex where I decided would be the best place to change out of my muddy camo clothes due to not wanting to attract any attention while walking through the lobby when I arrived at the Grand Hyatt. Dad and I did a quick cheers and bottle tap solute as we celebrated with a couple of cold Hawaiian cold beers.

The rest of the trip was very exciting as well as relaxing. Outside of the hunt I had a wonderful time with my wife as we went on snorkeling, kayaking, and hiking excursions. We also ate nothing but great food in every restaurant and eatery we came across. She got her time to lay on the beach and she even talked me into a couples massage. We also cooked out at the house my family had rented that was right on the beach where we also had a good time. They convinced me into holding off on spearfishing and to try boogie boarding that morning. To my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed it. The following day consisted of a drive up to the opposite side of the island where my dad, brother, and I found a great spot to splash around in a reef and attempt to stab fish while the ladies sunbathed. Due to our lack of spearfishing experience, we stopped at the store on the way home and picked up some local fish for the grill.

If you're into the hunting scene(which i'm sure that most of you are otherwise I would have to question why you are on this sight lol)and your significant other and/or family or friends are not, I would highly recommend a trip to Kauai as it has the best of both worlds for the hunter as well as the non hunter.

I also want to thank my Father aka Velo Dog for taking me on this fine hunting expedition as this will be a favorable experience that I will certainly cherish and never forget.

And thanks to all of you for not only reading this forum but for giving insight and advice on traveling and hunting around the world.

DoubleLunger

My boar
mypig.jpg

Dad's boar
dadspig.jpg

Dinner and drinks with my beautiful wife. Notice the boar tusk necklace hehe
with tara.jpg

Last edited:
Danny Lunger,

45 yards / 582 grain arrow.
That'd be something even with a lighter weight flatter shooting stick, cowabunga dude.
Great report, I enjoyed it thoroughly.
(Great foto of you and my daughter in law as well).
Hawaiian pork sausages have been now conquered with bow and rifle.
Namibian biltong is next to feel the razor's edge and calculated rifle fire.

Cheerio,
Velo Dad.

You guys did well for yourselves. Thanks for sharing the details from your perspective

Danny Lunger,

45 yards / 582 grain arrow.
That'd be something even with a lighter weight flatter shooting stick, cowabunga dude.
Great report, I enjoyed it thoroughly.
(Great foto of you and my daughter in law as well).
Hawaiian pork sausages have been now conquered with bow and rifle.
Namibian biltong is next to feel the razor's edge and calculated rifle fire.

Cheerio,
Velo Dad.

I'm looking forward to another cheers and bottle tap salute (Windhoek Lager of course) while exchanging stories over a couple of downed Zebra or Gemsbok by the campfire

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the report and great shooting!! I want to hunt axis deer on Lanai in the future.

I'm looking forward to another cheers and bottle tap salute (Windhoek Lager of course) while exchanging stories over a couple of downed Zebra or Gemsbok by the campfire

+1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammie2072

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross