USA: BOW HUNT: My First Bowkill In Many Years

Savage Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Years ago both shoulders went bad and I was doing missionary work every fall anyway and I quit bowhunting. Four years ago I had my second shoulder fixed and 3 seasons ago my daughter wanted to start bowhunting. So, she started that year and last year I planned to start back with my old bow. Then I had some health issues come up and multiple surgeries and I didn't hunt. I bought a new bow this past March and was excited for the 2014 season.
I sold my hunting land and cabin, though, and joined a deer camp, but Kellie and I decided to hunt some public land that I hunted many years ago a lot.

We went into a drainage area (a hollow) that I had often hunted, found our sign and hunted out of our climbers about 150 yards apart. This 6 pt came by me and stopped behind some limbs and I drew back. it was quartering to me and limbs covered from the front shoulder back. I had a neck shot only. After holding for a while, waiting for him to take a step, I realized that as I tired my choices were to let off, in which case he might see or hear me, or take the neck shot. I took the neck shot. The arrow did get down and clip the top of the lungs, but not too much of it. The buck wheeled and took off. It bled externally for 140 yards leaving a good trail, but after the arrow came out, not much more blood. It went another 60 yards and I found it dead.

jerryarchery2014_zps2e4bb5af.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not a monster by any means, but it was an old deer. A 6 pt with Beams of 21 inches, bases were really narly.
Not bad for a public land buck in Mississippi.

Kellie called "an adventure". deer went thru some really thick stuff that we trailed thru. No moon. it got us a little turned around. Pitch dark when we found it. Over 400 yard drag and wasn't completely sure of the exact right direction to drag.

Well done. Good success for getting back into bow hunting.

That's really cool.... Congrats!

Congrats, nice public lands whitetail!

Congratulations, happy that you could use the bow again!

RPH, nothing wrong with that buck they all taste good! Glad you could get back to the bow. Congrats.

Great job! That's awesome you've been able to pick up a bow again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhakhoa123

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,