Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
Filled my bear tag today after 3 weeks of scouting and laying scent for early bear season. Nice 170lb bear. Winchester M70, .375h&h (really heavy hauling it up the mountain). Hit him just in front of the shoulder through and through, out the back of the ribs near the diaphragm. Load was a 300 grain Hornady RN Interlock (the old one). Dropped him in his tracks and he rolled about 100 yards downhill to a stop. We don't shoot big bears because of the difficulty in getting them out. It took an hour to drag him 3/4 mile to the truck with me and my dad alternating. Making a bearskin rug, and the rest will be good eating! Anyone else get anything so far this fall?
IMAG0223.jpg

Congratulations on getting your bear steaks.

Nothing yet. About to start working at it though.

Congrats! Thanks for sharing

Nicely done. Congrats. My deer and antelope seasons start in 2 weeks. Bruce

Got one small button buck yesterday, with it being our antlerless archery season. Hoping to have a few more by this point.

Congrats on the bear! It takes forever to get a bear off the mountain so I understand the 170 size! Definitely some good eating.

Congratulations on your Bear!

You have me quite intrigued now- you mention it makes good eating?

For some or other reason it never crossed my mind that Bear meat could be eaten.
Would you mind to please describe the processing method? The meat texture and flavour? Will you spice it just like any other venison?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Boela.

Congratulations on your Bear!

You have me quite intrigued now- you mention it makes good eating?

For some or other reason it never crossed my mind that Bear meat could be eaten.
Would you mind to please describe the processing method? The meat texture and flavour? Will you spice it just like any other venison?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Boela.
Up in the Adirondacks, bears mostly ear berries and greens with the occasional carrion if they can find it. As such, they aren't riddled with parasites. The bigger they get the worse they taste. So the younger bears are preferred and taste pretty good. They have a flavor all their own. I saute mine with veggies and some Cajun spice, stew it, or cook it in the crockpot. It's a very rewarding end to the many hours you put in to get a bear up here.

Got one small button buck yesterday, with it being our antlerless archery season. Hoping to have a few more by this point.

Congrats on the bear! It takes forever to get a bear off the mountain so I understand the 170 size! Definitely some good eating.
Congrats on the buck, I love bow hunting. In my opinion, it is the toughest and most rewarding hunting. Especially if you spot and stalk!

Thank you for the reply Chris!

I find this quite interesting to say the least. Thank you for the reply, the feedback is much appreciated.

Regards,
Boela.

Congrats on the bear. Good stuff!

Been out twice down in my way in the Catskills, 3A, and seen some fresh scat; but thats all so far.....

Congrats to you sir!

Congrats to you sir!
Thanks! It's as dangerous as dangerous game gets around here... hence the .375. :) dropped him like a hammer after smashing his shoulder. I would have used the .416 Ruger, but I just put the scope on it and I haven't sighted it in yet... next time I'll use enough gun. (y)

Thanks! It's as dangerous as dangerous game gets around here... hence the .375. :) dropped him like a hammer after smashing his shoulder. I would have used the .416 Ruger, but I just put the scope on it and I haven't sighted it in yet... next time I'll use enough gun. (y)

Sounds like you used all the gun needed!

Yeah It's like dragging a blanket with four legs that weighs 170 lbs...

Well done. That's a lot of gun for a black bear. I've taken 3 with 7mm's in PA. But it certainly did the trick. I guess there is no such thing as too much gun if your trying to stop them quickly. Congrats!

Well done. That's a lot of gun for a black bear. I've taken 3 with 7mm's in PA. But it certainly did the trick. I guess there is no such thing as too much gun if your trying to stop them quickly. Congrats!
Yeah, I probably didn't need 4,300 ft-lbs and a 300 grain bullet but I can't argue with the results, though next year I will probably use my 6.5X55 because it's about 3 lbs lighter... or I could step up and use the .416 Ruger I just bought! Overkill is underrated. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg