USA: American Bison Oglala Sioux Reservation South Dakota

Enjoyed the report, congrats on the bison!

Congratulations on a fine buff. Reminds me of my buffalo hunt in Montana, I still shiver thinking of the weather we had to hunt in. DAMN COLD!

Once you get it mounted, I hope you will post a picture of the mount? They are awesome creatures!

Once you get it mounted, I hope you will post a picture of the mount? They are awesome creatures!
Will do, but a couple years out from building the trophy room. I outgrew my space at home a while back but waiting until my youngest goes off to college to tackle the new project.

Thank you everyone for the kind words, always glad to share my experiences.

Congrats, thanks for the report. One of the hunts that's on my wish list.

Thats a great looking buff. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Bruce

Nice bull very wide head.

Day 5

I was up at 5:30, Grant and I got packed up and out by 7:30 headed to meet Al. The roads were iced over, but we took it slow driving in four wheel high the entire way. We got to the area a little before 9 and Al met us shortly after.

We glassed to locate the buffalo herd then set off in pursuit. The windswept, snow covered hills made it easy to spot the Bison. After 24 hours of terrible weather, they were all up busy feeding.

The wind was gusty today but out of the West/Southwest so it was warming up a bit. By time we got into the field it was in the upper 30’s and partly cloudy.

Al stopped several times as we moved across the ridge glassing the immense herd. There had to be more than 600 Bison (Bulls, Cows and Calves) all spread out for about 3/4 of a mile.

View attachment 316663
We finally located a group of four mature bulls, off to the side by themselves. As I glassed them, I immediately knew which one was the biggest. After a few minutes, Al said “see that bull in front of the three on the right, walking towards us?”. I replied “yes, I spotted him right away when we started glassing”. An old bull with a massive skull and huge head of hair. Al said “thats him”.

View attachment 316665

We made a plan to get into position for a shot and by the time I was set the bulls had stopped walking at 107 yards. I was set with my Christensen 300 RUM, waiting for the bull to turn broadside.

When he did, I confirmed with Al once more and asked him where to shoot. He said “can you make a brain shot from here?” I said, “yes, where do you want me to put the bullet?”. He said “in line with the eye and under the horn”.

I settled in and let the shot go and the bull dropped in his tracks.

As we approached the bull, we realized how big the body was on this Bison. He is the classic example of an old, North American Plains Bison with a massive dark head and rusty colored wool like shoulders with dark legs.

View attachment 316667

Al brought in his truck and loaded the bull with a hydraulic loading arm and we made our way out of the pasture. After tagging and field dressing, we said our goodbyes and drove an hour to Pine Bluff to a meat processor that would bone the bull out for us.

We finally hit the road at 3:40 and drove straight through back to San Antonio as my son starts finals this week and cannot miss any classes.
View attachment 316728
500lbs of meat and my trophy about to leave Pine Ridge

It took about 17 1/2 hours and we switched off driving through the night. Sunset this time of year is 4:15PM so it was dark in no time. We encountered several Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer and Coyotes along the highway through the night. The temperatures ranged from the mid 20’s to upper 30’s so the ice in the ice chests barely melted and the head and hide were still cold when I got to the taxidermist.

In retrospect the time with my son, sitting out the blizzard in a motel room just watching football and visiting made the hunt.

The North American Plains Bison is not necessarily a difficult or physically challenging hunt, other than the weather conditions we had to endure.

Making the road trip, hunting on the reservation where the Bison have roamed for generations, taking an old mature bull and coming home with neatly 500lbs of boneless meat all contributed to the experience of my Bison hunt.

This takes me to number 18 on my quest for the North American 29 and I feel very Blessed to have hunted this iconic North American Trophy on the Oglala Sioux Reservation.

Beautiful bull, congratulations! So what animals do you have left to take?

What a great time.... Truly priceless!

Great bull. That will fill up the freezer. Congratulations. You said that you was looking for a free range buffalo. Does this fit the bill as they were inside a fenced pasture? I'm curious as I don't know what qualifies as free range.
You were hunting close to my hometown. I was born and raised on the Rosebud Reservation next to Ogalala. They do get some winter's back there.

Great bull and time spent with your son. Congratulations on #18 of 29.

Great bull. That will fill up the freezer. Congratulations. You said that you was looking for a free range buffalo. Does this fit the bill as they were inside a fenced pasture? I'm curious as I don't know what qualifies as free range.
You were hunting close to my hometown. I was born and raised on the Rosebud Reservation next to Ogalala. They do get some winter's back there.
I'm not sure what they meant by fenced. There is fenced and then there is bison fenced. A friend inherited a small heard and I was drafted as "buffalo wrangler". I can tell you that adult bison can jump a 7 foot fence. If the pasture was cattle fenced with 3 or 4 strand barb wire the bison could come and go as they wanted.

Thanks @nevada wapiti. I enjoyed my time on the Reservation, it is a beautiful area.

I contacted the Grand Slam Club prior to bidding on the tag and they confirmed the bison would be classified as free range. Also, the head of the Oglala Sioux Game Department said that they were in the process of establishing the herd with the Boone & Club.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg