Lomadelray

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Alaska
This was a self guided Interior Alaska moose hunt that ended up as a wolf hunt. This wolf came in our moose calls. My son shot it at 200 yards, wolf was running away quartering. Shot was directly through the heart with a Barnes TTSX 30-06 150gr from his Marlin XL7 with a Leupold fixed 4x33 scope. Wolf was a large male weighed about 150lbs. Good times.

Wolf Hunt 2.jpg
Wolf hunt 3.jpg
Wolf Hunt 4.jpg
Wolf Hunt 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job by your son and a fine shot! Shoot a few more. Congrats.

Good job by your son and a fine shot! Shoot a few more. Congrats.
Thanks! it was a good shot he had about a second to acquire the target and send it before it would've been gone in the brush....and we would love to shoot some more! This wolf is part of a roughly 15 animal pack that has been laying waste to the moose in our valley.

Very nice. Congratulations.

Awesome, congrats and thanks for sharing!

A big boy, congrats.

I have to admit, I´m jealous !

Jealous as well!! Missed a wolf last fall on my moose hunt. Off hand at about 150yds. Hoping to get another chance someday.

Jealous as well!! Missed a wolf last fall on my moose hunt. Off hand at about 150yds. Hoping to get another chance someday.
They are hard to hit. I missed one at about 125 yards last year in same valley. They move fast and low in the brush...and you usually only get one chance before they disappear.

This was a self guided Interior Alaska moose hunt that ended up as a wolf hunt. This wolf came in our moose calls. My son shot it at 200 yards, wolf was running away quartering. Shot was directly through the heart with a Barnes TTSX 30-06 150gr from his Marlin XL7 with a Leupold fixed 4x33 scope. Wolf was a large male weighed about 150lbs. Good times.

View attachment 367262View attachment 367263View attachment 367264View attachment 367265
BTW when we skinned it out its stomach, which was bigger than a rugby ball, had about 20lbs of fresh moose meat in it. So he had to have just been feeding on a recent kill somewhere nearby.

Congrats! I saw one last year elk hunting but didn't even get a chance for a shot before it was gone! Would love to hang one on the wall!

Congratulations on a great hunt! Good thing the tree huggers haven't attacked the open wolf season in Alaska.

The western states in the lower 48 have been fighting tooth and nail to de-list them as they lay waste to the elk populations and destroy cattle when they are allowed to get out of control. Of course "out of control" means one thing to ordinary hard working people, and something entirely different to some east coast bleeding heart that has never set foot in wolf/grizzly territory, let alone set foot beyond asphalt, but wants to tell the people who live with these problems how they should manage their wildlife.

Glad that Alaska still let's Alaskans manage their game animal populations. Also, EXCELLENT shot by your son. Hitting a moving animal at that distance is good shooting indeed!

The tree huggers have tried to stop wolf hunting and control shooting, believe me. When we started aerial gunning wolves again they threatened to boycott the state if we didn’t stop. The Governor’s response was classic, basically ‘great, we didn’t want you up here anyway!’

My buddy and I caught a pack out on the ice on the Tanana River one day on our way ptarmigan hunting. That was a very good day!

Congratulations! What a grand trophy! Oh I’m so envious! I think I’d rather have a wolf than an elephant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg