AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Well guys,

this is a simple story about a recent bow hunt I experienced here in Anchorage Alaska. I was fortunate enough to draw a winter bow hunt permit on the nearby military base JBER. it was a hunt that required permits, shooting tests $175 trespass fee etc. The moose was for either sex (gender, for the more PC out there) so after filling all the required blocks, etc I was ready to go.

The season started on 15 Dec and since I drew a blank on the general season in Sept. i was glad for the opportunity for another try. We had record setting snowfalls around the 15th, like 31 inches and then another 18", so....i was a dedicated snow blower/shoveler/plower for a couple days. Then we immediately after got what i consider pretty cold weather. Like -10 to 15 degrees F. my first 2 outings i saw moose, strapped on snowshoes and tried to close the distance, but the snow was noisy (squeaky) and was difficult to get close and...it was so cold, my shooting fingers were cold and i was seriously wondering if i was going to be able to operate the release on the bow. The first attempt (-15) got me within 100 yards and they just walked away from me and then into the brush.

The following day (-10) i tried again, spotted a cow, followed it for 800 yards or so, it ducked into the brush but i backtracked and was able to cut it off on a right of way 8 feet wide. it walked out in front of me at about 40 yards, did not stop for my cow call, turned away and walked away from me....DANG!!

The next try was a few days later, the day after christmas. it had not only warmed up (+10) but had rained and put a sheet of glass like ice on everything, it had just gotten noticeably louder and slippery. DANG IT!! I stuffed my bow into my barney's hunting pack and walked down a tank trail about 3 miles with ice cleats on, saw sign but nary a moose then walked back on the icy road. I was so sore the next, the combination of constant tension by walking on ice and my sore feet from walking on ice cleats with boots that DID NOT have steel/stiff insoles caused sore feet, legs and butt!

The next day was wasted on shoveling off my carport, so i decided to try again on the 28th. I got out pretty early (0950 i believe) was just starting to get light and spotted a cow in the area but on the wrong side of the road, so i drove past, got my release on, got my bow in the front seat with me and drove by the moose and it darted across the road to the side I was able to hunt, YES! I went down the road, made a quick 3 point turn around and started back to look for the cow and spotted a decent young bull (about 42" wide) 300 yards away in front of me on the correct side of the road in my hunting area, YES!!

so, I drove up and passed the bull, turned into a turnout and got my bow out and quietly snuck to the edge of the snow berm. There he was, browsing along trying to get filled up for the for the day. I ranged him as i closed, he was at 30 yards. I nocked my 650 gr grizzly stick arrow, placed the lighted nock on the string and peeked around the snow berm. I drew back my 65# Matthews bow and hit my anchor and focused on placing the arrow. There was a lone twig that covered the exact spot I wanted to place the arrow so I held left and inch or two and sent it. In hindsight it is interesting to try to replay exactly what happened since one only had about a 1/4 of a second to observe the flight and the subsequent disappearance of the arrow into the bull. I felt like the arrow hit him a little farther back than it turns out that it did. It was a complete pass thru shot tho.

The bull jumped at the arrows bite and took 3 quick steps and then plodded along in the deep snow for about 40-50 yard, hooked left and laid down. The post shot adrenaline shakes started up by then and I finally let a breath out! The bull bedded in some alders and then the waiting game. Thankfully I was able to watch the bull and kept track of him the whole time. I started making phone calls to get help with gutting and packing the bull. I was on the phone with a buddy when the bull got up so i told him, "I gotta go!" I raced back to the turnout and grabbed my bow and walked in on the bull to cut him off, I spotted him re-bedded down at 30 yards. I was trying to figure out how to get an angle on him and he laid his head down, picked his head up and a minute later laid his head down again. So, i quickly backed out and decided to try the one thing I am not great at, patience!

I checked on the bull 10 minutes later and he had expired! I quickly called the wildlife officers on the base and reported where it was and then drove home to get rope, my truck, chainsaw, sled and a couple helpers. I was able to get the venerable VELO DOG to meet me out there and help out as well. It took and hour and a half for the round trip back to the bull that i had yet to lay hands on. My retired fireman buddy Dave and my son Dustin walked in on snow shoes, took photos, gutter the bull and then cut him up into quarters with the small chainsaw. We had just made a cut when VELO DOG showed up and walking in without snow shoes to help. We rolled the quarters into the sled, hooked it to a rope put a pulley on the rope to get a good angle and slowly pulled the sled out with my diesel pickup. Was one the best moose packs i have ever done!

Got home, scrubbed the bull out with loose snow to cleanse blood and hair off the meat and left in the truck to cool for the night. The next am, Dave came over and helped Dustin and I hang it up in the garage. We did have to pry it out of the bed of the truck first because it froze down to the bed! Anyway, finally got it all hung and quickly skinned it out, a very nice end to a very interesting winter hunt. I will try to insert a couple of photos as well. The big takeaway, is .... be patient when waiting on a animal hit with an arrow. Moose are big and sometimes just take a while to die.

IMG_5623.jpg

IMG_5635.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5658.PNG

I sure hope so, there is a bit of it for sure

Well done. Congratulations.
Patience while bow hunting.... Bloody hell it's hard.

Well done. Congratulations.
Patience while bow hunting.... Bloody hell it's hard.
thanks,

patience is not my strong suit. have killed moose and other animals with a bow before, but due to where this bull laid down, it provided me with a good lesson in real time on why patience is so necessary especially when bowhunting and waiting on a hit animal. it was hit pretty well too, just the one arrow.

ENTRANCE WOUND:

IMG_5655.jpg

EXIT
IMG_5626.jpg
WOUND:

Congrats. As a member of Blacksheep Bowmen on JBER over the years I've known quite a few folks to draw and seal the deal on this tag.
Cheers.

Congrats! I enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing the story and pics! (y):giggle:

Congratulations! An archery bull moose is quite impressive. Glad you were able to recruit several friends to help pack it out, as a moose is quite a load.

Curious on the broadhead you used. Did you recover the arrow?

Very nice. Moose are big animals. Getting in bow range usually takes a bit of doing. Sounds like you put in the time to do it right. Congrats on your moose. Enjoy the eating. Should be a good one.
Bruce

As others have said , impressive ! Bow hunting moose on snow shoes is not a task for the weak of body or soul.
Congratulations.
Pat

Congrats, quite an achievement !

Curious on the broadhead you used. Did you recover the arrow?
I did not recover the arrow. the snow was waist deep or more and i suspect it had enough energy/speed left in it to bury itself in the snow way to far to blindly grope around for. I will try to find in the spring/summer when the snow melts.

I used a 200 gr. masai broad head (also sold by grizzly stick), it is a single bevel 2 blade. only hit one rib, that was on the way out. i suspect with my setup i will get full penetration on any moose hit with it. this arrow just skipped right on thru.

I did not recover the arrow. the snow was waist deep or more and i suspect it had enough energy/speed left in it to bury itself in the snow way to far to blindly grope around for. I will try to find in the spring/summer when the snow melts.

I used a 200 gr. masai broad head (also sold by grizzly stick), it is a single bevel 2 blade. only hit one rib, that was on the way out. i suspect with my setup i will get full penetration on any moose hit with it. this arrow just skipped right on thru.
I am using a similar setup, preparing for a Montana archery elk hunt in September. Using 650 gr total weight GrizzlyStik and have the 200 gr Maasai broadhead. I also have some Iron Will and VPA single bevel 2 blades that I am trying. The fact that you achieved a pass through on a moose gives me confidence that it will work on an elk. It is mind boggling how much bigger a moose is compared to an elk.

Don (1dirthawker),

Great hunt report.
I will say it again, good show old man.
See you today around noon for the final cutting, wrapping, labeling and freezing.

Ladies & Gents,

When he called to say he had a moose down and invited some of us locals to help, I toyed with the idea of bringing my snow shoes.
But since he said he could get his truck close enough to tie a rope onto the meat sled, I foolishly left them at home.
My mistaken vision was that, with several of us there, we would have a hard trail packed down in a few minutes ……. HA !
I’ve lived here over 40 years and new better.
I just didn’t do better.

All I can say is that it’s a good thing I’m young (only 70 ), because even though the “hike” from truck to moose was no more than perhaps around 30 or 40 paces, wow was that a workout.
The most shallow steps into the snow were over my knees, with the deepest up to my belt buckle.

I didn’t actually do much except to help load the sled and then lurch the back end of it left and right as needed, while the 4 wheel drive truck pulled.
It was handy to just let the truck and sled pull me out when I went into the deepest snow, up to my belt.

Anyway, Don / 1dirthawker and myself had met via this here world’s greatest forum, not many years ago.
Not only is he a “stand up guy” in general but after retiring from TWO full careers, he now guides bear hunters, to earn extra beer money.
I wish I had even half of his gittyup.
Anyway, it turns out that our houses are fairly close in proximity and our wives have become good friends as well.

Alaska winters are looong and cold, it’s expensive to live here, it’s within easy missile range of that mad man in N. Korea and, just to visit any other part of our nation, one must buy expensive airline tickets.
Either that or drive 6 full days one way, to reach only the northern border of Washington, Idaho or Montana.
But with good friends and family about plus, fishing / hunting as a bonus, it’s as good of a place to die as any and better than some.

As usual I’m rambling on another one of my espresso fueled rants here so I’ll clam shut now.

Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone,
Paul (Velo Dog).

Well guys,

this is a simple story about a recent bow hunt I experienced here in Anchorage Alaska. I was fortunate enough to draw a winter bow hunt permit on the nearby military base JBER. it was a hunt that required permits, shooting tests $175 trespass fee etc. The moose was for either sex (gender, for the more PC out there) so after filling all the required blocks, etc I was ready to go.

The season started on 15 Dec and since I drew a blank on the general season in Sept. i was glad for the opportunity for another try. We had record setting snowfalls around the 15th, like 31 inches and then another 18", so....i was a dedicated snow blower/shoveler/plower for a couple days. Then we immediately after got what i consider pretty cold weather. Like -10 to 15 degrees F. my first 2 outings i saw moose, strapped on snowshoes and tried to close the distance, but the snow was noisy (squeaky) and was difficult to get close and...it was so cold, my shooting fingers were cold and i was seriously wondering if i was going to be able to operate the release on the bow. The first attempt (-15) got me within 100 yards and they just walked away from me and then into the brush.

The following day (-10) i tried again, spotted a cow, followed it for 800 yards or so, it ducked into the brush but i backtracked and was able to cut it off on a right of way 8 feet wide. it walked out in front of me at about 40 yards, did not stop for my cow call, turned away and walked away from me....DANG!!

The next try was a few days later, the day after christmas. it had not only warmed up (+10) but had rained and put a sheet of glass like ice on everything, it had just gotten noticeably louder and slippery. DANG IT!! I stuffed my bow into my barney's hunting pack and walked down a tank trail about 3 miles with ice cleats on, saw sign but nary a moose then walked back on the icy road. I was so sore the next, the combination of constant tension by walking on ice and my sore feet from walking on ice cleats with boots that DID NOT have steel/stiff insoles caused sore feet, legs and butt!

The next day was wasted on shoveling off my carport, so i decided to try again on the 28th. I got out pretty early (0950 i believe) was just starting to get light and spotted a cow in the area but on the wrong side of the road, so i drove past, got my release on, got my bow in the front seat with me and drove by the moose and it darted across the road to the side I was able to hunt, YES! I went down the road, made a quick 3 point turn around and started back to look for the cow and spotted a decent young bull (about 42" wide) 300 yards away in front of me on the correct side of the road in my hunting area, YES!!

so, I drove up and passed the bull, turned into a turnout and got my bow out and quietly snuck to the edge of the snow berm. There he was, browsing along trying to get filled up for the for the day. I ranged him as i closed, he was at 30 yards. I nocked my 650 gr grizzly stick arrow, placed the lighted nock on the string and peeked around the snow berm. I drew back my 65# Matthews bow and hit my anchor and focused on placing the arrow. There was a lone twig that covered the exact spot I wanted to place the arrow so I held left and inch or two and sent it. In hindsight it is interesting to try to replay exactly what happened since one only had about a 1/4 of a second to observe the flight and the subsequent disappearance of the arrow into the bull. I felt like the arrow hit him a little farther back than it turns out that it did. It was a complete pass thru shot tho.

The bull jumped at the arrows bite and took 3 quick steps and then plodded along in the deep snow for about 40-50 yard, hooked left and laid down. The post shot adrenaline shakes started up by then and I finally let a breath out! The bull bedded in some alders and then the waiting game. Thankfully I was able to watch the bull and kept track of him the whole time. I started making phone calls to get help with gutting and packing the bull. I was on the phone with a buddy when the bull got up so i told him, "I gotta go!" I raced back to the turnout and grabbed my bow and walked in on the bull to cut him off, I spotted him re-bedded down at 30 yards. I was trying to figure out how to get an angle on him and he laid his head down, picked his head up and a minute later laid his head down again. So, i quickly backed out and decided to try the one thing I am not great at, patience!

I checked on the bull 10 minutes later and he had expired! I quickly called the wildlife officers on the base and reported where it was and then drove home to get rope, my truck, chainsaw, sled and a couple helpers. I was able to get the venerable VELO DOG to meet me out there and help out as well. It took and hour and a half for the round trip back to the bull that i had yet to lay hands on. My retired fireman buddy Dave and my son Dustin walked in on snow shoes, took photos, gutter the bull and then cut him up into quarters with the small chainsaw. We had just made a cut when VELO DOG showed up and walking in without snow shoes to help. We rolled the quarters into the sled, hooked it to a rope put a pulley on the rope to get a good angle and slowly pulled the sled out with my diesel pickup. Was one the best moose packs i have ever done!

Got home, scrubbed the bull out with loose snow to cleanse blood and hair off the meat and left in the truck to cool for the night. The next am, Dave came over and helped Dustin and I hang it up in the garage. We did have to pry it out of the bed of the truck first because it froze down to the bed! Anyway, finally got it all hung and quickly skinned it out, a very nice end to a very interesting winter hunt. I will try to insert a couple of photos as well. The big takeaway, is .... be patient when waiting on a animal hit with an arrow. Moose are big and sometimes just take a while to die.

View attachment 508401

View attachment 508402
View attachment 508403

View attachment 508404
Nice job and great setup you are shooting! Should be some good meat! Maybe we can get together in July for beers again. I’m coming up to go fishing.

Nice job and great setup you are shooting! Should be some good meat! Maybe we can get together in July for beers again. I’m coming up to go fishing.
sounds good, give me a little heads up time. i have a spare room if i am in town, might be fishing or hanging out with grandkids at lake cabin. look forward to seeing you

Congratulations on a beautiful bull-well fought and deservingly earned-tenderloins and eggs for breakfast!

so,
the venerable VELO DOG, my kids and my 6 grandkids came over to the house to help process meat. the moose is now safely ensconced in my coolers to be ground into burger on tuesday. here is a few photos of the crew:

IMG_4897.JPG

velo dog on the left, me in middle and a friend learning about cutting moose on the right.
IMG_4898.JPG

the whole crew helping

IMG_4895.JPG

my beautiful granddaughters trimming up moose meat, yup, i am blessed beyond measure.

so, as a final entry on this story, my kids and grandkids came over to help finish the grinding of the meat. we ended up grinding 220# of hamburger and the liver and heart (which i will freeze dry and powder later). then of course the cleanup. the kids are a shocking amount of help on these tasks and were of course really fun to work with.

kids and i learning about liver and heart
IMG_4976.JPEG

daughter and son in law and kiddo's grinding along, cabelas carnivore grinder (y)
IMG_5668.jpg

my troll baby is preparing the packages to go in the freezer and lay flat.
IMG_4974.JPEG

what a fun day!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you