USA: Alaska Sitka Blacktail Deer Hunt With Mileur’s Guide Service

Somehow I missed this report. Wow, what a great adventure, and thank you for taking us along. Wishing you the best on your quest.

@mdwest, good luck to you too!

Somehow I missed this report. Wow, what a great adventure, and thank you for taking us along. Wishing you the best on your quest.

@mdwest, good luck to you too!

Thanks!

We had a great hunt as well...

The weather got us pretty hard on the front end... we made to Anchorage.. but then got stuck for three days with high winds and pretty severe snow and visibility issues that prevented us from flying into Kodiak...

Once we got to the town of Kodiak, we got stuck for another day due to weather.... We finally made it into Larsen Bay on the 5th day of a planned 9 day hunt..

As a result we abandoned fishing plans.. and just stuck to 2 days of ducks and 2 days of deer hunting...

Weather continued to be pretty bad all the way until the last hunting day.. we got rained and snowed on hard for both duck hunting days.. and the first deer hunting day was especially wet and cold...

At the end of it all we still managed to bag Barrows Goldeneye, Common Goldeneye, and Harlequin ducks (all AWESOME!)... and while we never saw any great bucks (I feel certain we would have, had our time line not been so compressed and the weather not been so bad), we did managed to bag a couple of nice Sitka doe before packing up and heading home..

Despite the weather, it was a wonderful experience overall.. hard hunts are always good hunts.. you feel like you worked for and earned your quarry... and we couldnt have asked for a better experience with the lodge, boat captain, etc.. We were doing largely DIY hunting (we'd get dropped off each morning, and picked up in the afternoon... that was really the only hunting support you get with the package we purchased).. but the lodge itself was really nice and well maintained.. all of the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.. the other hunters staying at the lodge were all great to spend time with, etc..

and wildlife interaction was wonderful as well.. we managed to see fin whales, seals, otters, etc.. on our boat rides in and out each day.. saw snowshoe hare, tons of sitka deer (all doe, except for 1 buck that we could never work our way into a shot on..), fox, etc running around in the woods..

We will definitely be going back to Kodiak at some point in the not distant future.. truely a wonderful time (even after getting wet to the bone and freezing our butts off every day :) )....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois